FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Impromptu speech tips?

Author Topic: Impromptu speech tips?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I've got to give an impromptu speech for a grade. The format is this:

"For the impromptu speech assignment we will do something a little different. You will be given a common or simple topic. You will have three minutes to prepare (jot down notes for the introduction, body (main points), and conclusion. You will be required to speak for two to three minutes (without rambling on). This speech may be informative, persuasive, or humorous. You can do anything with the topic you want (any angle)."

I'm sure there are some folks here who have done debate or speech team and have been through this type of thing - I've never done it.

Any tips or suggestions?

Is it better to go right away, or to wait and watch a few others first? In my prepared speeches I usually go as quickly as possible because sitting there watching other people only increases my anxiety. But I'm so uncertain about this one.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't change based on this being impromptu. If that's what you're most comfortable with, I'd say go early.

Unless everyone gets their topic at once. Then you could use the time listening to let thoughts gel.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-make an outline, take several copies. That way, in your three minutes making notes, you can also be organizing them at the same time.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I had to do this in my speech class as well. We did not have the option of choosing our speaking order, but I was about the fourth and was grateful for that. It gave me a feel for how volatile the topics would be, and it also allowed me to see the prof.'s reaction to others.

My best tip would be to relax. If it's a topic that you know relatively little about, pick 1 pro/con arguement and give reasons to support it. 2-3 minutes is not a long time to cover a lot of material sufficiently. If you have personal experience, use it. My topic was on aides in the classroom. Since my kids' school at the time had recently fired 30 aides, I was able to give first-hand experience about how difficult it was for the teachers to cope, which led to a lessened classroom experience for the children. Good luck; I'm sure you'll do well!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love impromptu -- it was my strength. But I don't really have any advice -- I would just get up and talk, sometimes organizing in my head as I went along.

But I agree go early -- that was you don't over-think it or get nervous

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, nobody will know you made a mistake unless you tell them.

Keep your notes brief and to the point when you prepare.

With such a short presentation time frame, go for presentation over content - speak clearly, be energetic and make eye contact. (It works for politicians and conmen [Big Grin] )

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to hate public speaking with the fiery passion of...well, I hated it.

Then I started not to care. I mean, I knew it mattered, but somehow, when you don't care, the anxiety leaves.

I guess it's hard to explain.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Just be confident. Fake it if you have to. And don't do a lot of distracting movements, like shifting from side to side or wringing your hands.

I guess those are speech tips in general, not necessarily impromptu.

But good luck!

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks guys. [Smile]

I love public speaking, and I've always been excited about my prepared speeches - it's just that this is uncharted territory for me.

The idea of making outlines ahead of time and bringing several copies is a great one! Thanks Boon!

We have a very laid back instructor, she goes out of her way to make us feel at ease so I'm not too stressed over it. In a way it's a relief not to have to prepare ahead of time - I have so much else going on right now it was one less thing to worry about.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mac hit one of my major tips right on the head - it's not about you.

When people stand up, they feel self-conscious and any insecurity they have is magnified because they feel like they're being judged.

Instead of not caring (although I don't, most of the time), I tend to picture myself "hiding" behind the occasion or the event. When I speak, it's not me - instead, I wrap myself in the illusion of "I'm speaking for something else."

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, I know.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I love impromptu!

For me, when I get a topic, I find a general theme of the topic, then come up with examples that go along with the theme from literature, history, religions, personal experience, just about anything. If you think about it, there's a lot of examples that can fit with a lot of different themes if you twist them right, and we try to come up with about 10 examples outside of the round, that we can toy with and probably make fit with the theme. One of the easiest ways to make a speech if you're going blank is just to come up with 3 or four examples of the theme and talk about them-good backup.

I've been told for attention getters it's helpful to think of something thats easy to apply to almost anything, and that you know a lot about. Erik does superheros, Tom does Lord of the Rings, that sort of thing. It helps some people and doesn't others.

Don't worry, it's LOTS of fun, my favorite sort of speaking, aside from debate

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Try memorizing a couple of funny or interesting stories that have broad application to many topics. Open with these stories as your intro.

If you draw a blank on a topic (it happens), try remembering a movie or popular tv show that may be related to a topic and discuss that. For example, shows like Ameriacn Idol, Surivor, Trading Spouses, and The Apprentice are fun to talk about and have broad application to many social issues.

quote:
Remember, nobody will know you made a mistake unless you tell them.
This is great advice. It is natural to stumble a lot in impromptu speeches. But as long as you keep your tone conversational and not dwell on your mistakes, people will overlook the pauses if you keep plowing ahead.

Edited to add: Or, basically what Toretha said. *darn slow typing* [Big Grin]

[ March 10, 2005, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks again everyone - I'll let you know how it goes. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
God, I miss Impromptu debate. This was my event in high school. [Smile] It always annoyed me that Indiana didn't have an Impromptu event at the state championship level -- but there is one at the national level, so that's all right.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*LOL*

I had to testify before a committee a few weeks ago. Of course, I was behind two people that had written and read their entire "speech" - the Committee Chair with a bored yawn and then a scowl looked at me and said, "I do hope you aren't going to read to us, too."

I smiled sweetly, set the paper down and looked him straight in the eye.

"No, sir," I replied, "I'll just tell you what I know."

And gave it to them.

They kept me up there with questions for nearly 10 minutes which is really unheard of for these sorts of legislative testimony hearings.

Kinda fun!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

It went extremely well. [Big Grin]

The topic I drew was "The Perfect Job." I had just today, visited the Librarian Avengers site, so I did a humorous takeoff on why I wanted to be a librarian - so I could convince people how brilliant I was and so I could yield power over others and punish those that made me mad. [Evil Laugh]

Instructor loved it - on her comments she wrote "Excellent use of voice, great enthusiasm, wonderful humorous take on topic."

I got 50/50. [Big Grin]

Thanks again for the tips guys.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Congratulations!

[Hat]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.