FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Free Retouching, Darkroom, and Photo Effects - (Now with examples!)

Author Topic: Free Retouching, Darkroom, and Photo Effects - (Now with examples!)
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just spend three (tomorrow makes four) days doing intensive photoshop instructions and trick sharing at PhotoshopWorld. I know the program, but I was basically self-taught before both in terms of the program in general art principles. I have learned TONS, and I'd love to try it out.

The snag is that I don't spend money on stuff and therefore do not own a digital camera.

Do you have old family pictures that you want restored? Do you wish it was you with your arm around Kama? Would your portrait look better with a tan? Are you irritated you didn't make it into the group picture at KamaCon, due to being three thousand miles away? Send me your files! Tell me what you want, and I will fix/add/tan?restore anything you have.

Act now, and for free I will turn you into Napoleon Dynamite. Not to be missed.

katepilkington AT yahoo.com

Send them today! Confidentiality guaranteed. If instead of confidentiality you want shameless publicity, I will host a your picture so you can show Hatrack. [Smile]

That's K-A-T-E-P-I-L-K-I-N-G-T-O-N at yahoo.com. E-mail today!

[ March 11, 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have to send pictures to see the Napoleon Dynamite jatraquero? [Wink]

<---Doesn't have any pictures that need editing, but is highly curious about this photo. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Yes, you do, I'm sorry, but I want to practice and that's my incentive. It doesn't have to be a family picture - you find something on the internet and send it to me, I'll happily believe that your great aunt was Annie Oakley and you want the metal on her guns to shine.

Banna's seen an example. You can ask her how good it is. [Smile]

[ March 11, 2005, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, I actually have a photo I would love to have restored. It's a picture of my daughter and son today when she was 1 month and he was 3 years old. In the photo, she's on him lap, and he's looking down at her with an adoring expression. In reality, he was looking down 'cause he was trying to push her off his lap.

Anyway, the old frame somehow got liquid beneath it, and when I changed frames some of the picture was stuck. The missing part is near the bottom; it's part of his hand and her white (no pattern) dress. It's an 8 x 10 size. If you're interested and think it's something you can do, I'd love for you to take a crack at it.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Send it to me. [Smile] I'll be happy to try. Do you have access to a scanner?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
We have one. I'll scan it in the next day or so. Thanks!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a nice picture of my older daughter - except she needed to brush her teeth. [Roll Eyes] Can you lighten the teeth and make it look natural? Possibly other toning issues as well - it was taken in a hallway under fluorescent lighting.

My internet access is sporadic, so I'll try to check back in a couple of days, or just e-mail the pic when I can.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Google Image Search is my very best friend.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, I actually have some pictures I would love to have touched up: my wedding photos. The photographer fled the region after scooping up a bunch of people's money, and we were left with crapsville shots. I would pay.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Elizabeth, I just learned not only how to fix things, but how to give them the wedding day glow, too, if you want. Send them on over - I'd love a chance to practice. You can't pay me, I have no experience with this, so I can't make any promises. I'd be delighted with the chance to practice, apprentice-like. [Smile] Send them over - my boss is happy I had fun and wants me to solidify what I learned, so I have the day to play with Photoshop.

CaySedai, yes, I can do that. Send it over and let me know what you want. [Smile]

[ March 11, 2005, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you informed the hatracker that you morphed into Napoleon Dynamite??? It was darn good, I thought he was just going through an unsually geeky phase instead of his normal handsome appearing-geek underneath self.

AJ

[ March 11, 2005, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I changed my mind about the incentive. Now, whoever sends me pictures to work on, gets to become Napoleon Dynamite themself. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, I will send you a couple from the church. (if I can even find them). They are all yellow. Not from age, but from crappy photography.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

[Smile] Awesome. Thank you, Elizabeth. [Smile]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, you totally have to photoshop a picture of me with one of Natalie Portman, so I can say I befriended her while we both studied together. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Do you have a picture of you there, or should I just get one from foobonic? [Smile]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually joking, but um, that could be fun practice for you! [Wink]

Go ahead and use my fifth one from foobonic, the one in which I actually look normal! If that's not good, I can try and find another one.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently sent ElJay a picture of my house, asking her for landscaping ideas. Too bad we can't combine your Photoshopping skillz with her landscaping skillz, so that I could see pictures of her ideas.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
We can, actually. I was gonna link you to pictures of the plants I am suggesting. [Smile] I bet kat could do something to show what it could look like.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat I sent you one, don't know what all you could do with it though.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

beryerchic, I got it - I'll think of something to do with it. [Smile]

I used some pictures picked up from various favorite Hatrack places that looked like they could offer some good practice for repair. Here are some before-and-after examples - you can see for yourself if you would trust me to try on yours. [Smile]

Frisco comes out of the Matrix
Taalcon writes a blahg ( www.shutupandwrite.net )
Porter cries in sharper colors and better focus

[ March 11, 2005, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Kat, that's absolutely incredible! [Eek!]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Is it too late to send in photos?
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

[Smile] Not at all. Send them in - I'm working on them again today.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*impressed*

Very well done Kat. [Smile]

I'm a total photoshop newbie. Is there a good online tutorial website that will teach me a little bit about how you did what you did with those images?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

www.digitalmastery.com has good online seminars, although you have to pay for them.

http://www.adobe.com/products/tips/photoshop.html

Those are tips from Adobe themselves - they look useful.

But the best...

The color changes were done in the curves and levels dialog boxes. Below are some tutorials that cover those tools:

http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorial/curves/
http://www.twistedtreephoto.com/Photoshop%20tutorial/Photoshop%20tutorial1.html

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]

I'll have my arms around Kama in no time. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.