FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nearly killed some guys today (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nearly killed some guys today
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me start off by saying this.

I am not the most even tempered of people.

At any time.

But today, I was walking home today, and several people dumped a bucket of old beer on me from the second story of their co-op.

With ciagrette butts in it.

I didn't even know them.

You know, it's a time like those when you're grateful pyschopathic nut jobs exist.

And today I almost became one.

I stopped, thought about it, and started to throw rocks wildly at their window. I wanted to break it. I also wanted them to become angry and come down, because I really wanted to kill one of them. I wanted to feel their fingers break in my hands, I wanted to hear them scream, the stupid whiny gespacho bastards.

They live in the co-op down the street. Never talked to one of them. Never met them. But the guys who live in the co-op are these stupid ultra-liberal, skanky-ass, BO reeking, dreadlock swinging, bead wearing, soccer and frisbee playing, unshaven bunch of douchebags with legions of unfed cats.

Whom I NEVER did anything to.

Anyways, all the rocks missed, and then I got a hold of myself. For about two seconds, when I wanted to storm up there and hammer on the door.

I bet some of you would say that I should've gone up there and talked to them.

That's not a choice. I think it's good that I controlled myself as much as I did. I mean, I walked away. I don't trust myself enough to look at them and not start beating them wildly and biting parts of them.

You think I'm joking. I'm not. I have the worst temper.

Damn.

I hate everybody.

I'm going to go shower.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude - I'd be pissed too.

The only thought I have to offer - is it possible they didn't see you? Or didn't stop to look before they heaved the bucket out the window?

It sounds like they were just "cleaning up" and not necessarily being malicious.

Not that it would have stopped me from being really, really angry, mind.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

No, they stopped, gave a short laugh, and then ran inside.

I wish I had broken that window. A lot of me does, at least.

I usually try to avoid the things that set me off. Someone starts badmouthing me? I leave the room. Someone tries to start an obnoxious political debate? I leave the room.

You cross someone as angrily tempered as me, it's all your fault, and I think you deserve what you get.

[ March 09, 2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Sorry Book - that was my best shot at a ray of hope.

On the bright side, you're not seriously injured, dead or in jail. On the flip side, neither are they.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have called the cops. Assuming you feel confident in handling things if they escalate in typical frat boy fashion. No reason to let them get away with crap like that.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd call the cops, too. That's assault or something, isn't it?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my first thought too, to call the police.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's likely assault. Assuming they lie about it, there's almost no chance of conviction. But make them lie, and get something on record.

Besides, if they're really stupid ultra-liberal, skanky-ass, BO reeking, dreadlock swinging, bead wearing, soccer and frisbee playing, unshaven bunch of douchebags with legions of unfed cats, the cops will love an excuse to pick on them.

I'm just saying.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You cross someone as angrily tempered as me, it's all your fault, and I think you deserve what you get.
But you don't deserve that crap you'd get if you followed through with your desires.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Calling the cops now. On hold.

Not that I have I problem with liberals, mind you.

Just these.

[ March 09, 2005, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

There might be a history of complaints against these folks, which would lend weight to your complaint even without benefit of witnesses.

But get a copy of the police report - if something else escalates, make sure you have a paper trail.

-Trevor

Book
Member # 5500

Good advice.

The cops are on their way to talk to me.

I would just love to scare them a little.

They'd probably say, "What kinda guy files charges because we dumped some beer on him?"

To which I'd reply, "What sorta douchebag dumps beer on some stranger for no reason?"

TMedina
Member # 6649

They're freaking lucky - these days, they should be grateful someone didn't empty a magazine or two through the window.

-Trevor

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be careful about the rock-throwing thing and the police. Not saying it was undeserved, but it might be illegal in your jurisdiction.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you still have the cigarette butts? Just saying, they're an invaluable source of DNA, you might want to scare those guys with that...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

No, I was so disgusted and appalled when I noticed what was lying on my shoulder that my kneejerk reaction was to throw it away.

And the rock thing... Hmm... Don't know what to do about that.

Any suggestions?

Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't bring it up.

If the guys bring it up, it won't help them, as they will likely admit being the provocatuers. Why else would you be throwing rocks?

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

Try to think about specific descriptors of who ever did it.
Commander of legions of unfed cats is not enough.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Like Dag pointed out, these guys will probably lie about the whole thing. If that happens, your only chance of winning this thing is to find witnesses.

Deliberately leaving out your own actions will hurt you if your actions were seen by witnesses. It gets even worse if witnesses saw you throwing rocks but did not see these guys dump water on you.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whom I NEVER did anything to.
quote:
They live in the co-op down the street. Never talked to one of them. Never met them. But the guys who live in the co-op are these stupid ultra-liberal, skanky-ass, BO reeking, dreadlock swinging, bead wearing, soccer and frisbee playing, unshaven bunch of douchebags with legions of unfed cats.
I find these statments to be in conflict with each other. I know you are ticked off, and you probably aren't in the mood to think rationally about this, but did you have this opinion of them before they did something horribly rude to you? Because if you did, never having met them or talked with them, you *did* do something to them. You held prejudice against them. Is it possible they also feel prejudice towards you, and that was the motivation behind the horrid act?

Even if you did have unkind feelings towards them to start with, you probably would never have done this to them. Though, admittedly, when you are in a group of guys and one guy comes up with a "prank", it is easy to feel pressured into going along, especially when you already don't like the person who is the butt of the joke (no pun intended.) Things tend to escalate when you are in a group--the whole mob-mentality.

I am not trying to rationalize what they did. I am just being a cold-hearted b**** about it and offering a completely different POV.

And if the above was just spouting off on the spur of the moment because you were really mad at what they did to you and nothing more, please disregard this entire post.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt the police can do much for you. You should file a complaint against the residents with the co op's board of directors. Remind them that such childish pranks will likely raise their home owner insurance premiums and subject the entire co op to possible tort liabilities. What if you had slipped on that water and cracked your head on the sidewalk?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Well, bev, that was really just me spouting off wildly. The co-op has always been just a pretty skanky place. Pretty much every friday they put a kiddie pool out on their lawn, get drunk, and sit around all day yelling at people that wall by.

But no, I've never done anything to them at all, really, and never would. Even if I find them to be very trashy people, I don't like them, but I tolerate them. There is a difference. I don't have to like them, and when enraged, my dislikes can often be incredibly exaggerated. But this doesn't exactly improve my opinion of them. At all.

And it wasn't a gang. There were two of them. Just two.

Plus me, minding my own business and thinking about the antibiotics I just purchased and wondering how much chest X-rays will cost me. Then BLOOSH, all wet. And disgusting. Don't know why.

By the way, the police still haven't arrived yet. Is this normal?

[ March 09, 2005, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yuck!! Having a bucket of old beer (don't know why people are thinking it's water) and cigarette butts chucked on you is disgusting. I can't even imagine - I've had people spit on me and throw ice cubes and fruit at me, but never old beer and butts. You aren't under 21 are you? In a sick and twisted way they were furnishing you with alcohol.... [Evil Laugh]

[ March 09, 2005, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Well, my roomates started talking about it and they agreed that if the cops went over there and walked into the room, they would more than likely find something very incriminating. I have seen them out on their balconies smoking dope in hammocks before.

Seriously, when I say trashy, I mean trashy.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Book, I am sorry that they did that to you. That was a rotten thing they did.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If your description of them is anything close to accurate...

and the police come by and have a talk with them...

it gives them an excuse to talk with them and possibly see something illegal...

such as marijuana or some similar illegal substance...

that will allow for the police to prosecute and remove the nuisances.

Think positive.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

So what happened Book? Don't leave us hanging.

quote:
Deliberately leaving out your own actions will hurt you if your actions were seen by witnesses. It gets even worse if witnesses saw you throwing rocks but did not see these guys dump water on you
Yeah, I thought about that, Beren. I balanced the idea that you should never admit possible crimes to cops vs it hurts your credibility if you leave it out of your initial statement but it comes out anyway.

Since the main way I saw the rock throwing being brought up by the jerks would hurt them, I stuck to don't admit, or at least don't bring it up.
I didn't think about the neighbors seeing it.
You could be right.
Morbo

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{{Book}}}}} this is a pending hug for after your shower. Did you shower? Can you shower and keep your clothes for evidence? Also, didn't a falling bucket kill someone in "Carrie"?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
In a sort of weird manner of speaking, I guess....

CARRIE SPOILERS

Carrie had a bucket of pig's blood dumped on her head while she was being crowned Prom Queen (which election was rigged, by the way). The bucket itself hit Tommy in the head and knocked him unconscious. In response to this complete humiliation, Carrie went berzerk and killed off most of her class and a good part of the town.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You have already done the right thing. You came to Hatrack, told your story, found out that we agree with you right down to your choice of vocabulary words.

Now you must understand that these morons have inadvertently given you a great gift. You have the ultimate conversation topper. "Oh, you think that's bad? I was once walking along minding my own business and two !@#$%s dumped a bucket of old beer filled with cigaret butts on my head." No! What did you do? "What do you think I did? I killed one and then beat the other one unconscious with his head."

No one will be able to top this story. Not in your whole life. And what story will they have? "Hey, we once dumped a bucket of old beer filled with butts on this guy's head." Did you know him? Had he done anything to you? "No, but we laughed our a#### off." Man, you are such an a######. "Oh. Well, we were drunk." Oh. OK. You are such a drunk a######.

You win. They lose. And nobody actually lost any body parts or got a criminal record.

[ March 10, 2005, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*

Now there's an interesting view on the situation. Leave it to a storyteller to see the potential entertainment value [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
See you in Boston, OSC... [Wave]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

*is jealous*
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
ehehehehe
Envy me [Big Grin]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

But next time, shower before posting. I mean, ewwwwwhwww. Get the butts out of your hair before you get the chip on your shoulder off your chest.
quote:
You came to Hatrack, told your story, found out that we agree with you right down to your choice of vocabulary words.

OSC
I especially liked "legions of unfed cats", although after a while my brain started to read it as "legions of undead cats"--Zombie Kitties! Run Away!

Morbo

AntiCool
Member # 7386

[Monkeys] [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

As you can see, I am green with envy.

Book
Member # 5500

Wow.

I mean, WOW.

Never expected THAT sort of feedback. Thanks. Now that I've calmed down a whole lot I feel a bit sheepish about the whole thing. I hate losing my temper. It makes me feel silly and idiotic later. No one likes someone that makes a scene, or gets so mad he starts tossing around death threats. I know what those guys did was pretty scummy, but I still feel pretty stupid about it.

Regardless, the police never showed up, or at least not tonight. I'm debating just shrugging my shoulders, dropping the charges if the police ever come around, and just walking down a different street more often.

Mormo
Member # 5799

quote:
Now that I've calmed down a whole lot I feel a bit sheepish about the whole thing. I hate losing my temper. It makes me feel silly and idiotic later.
I used to have quite a temper myself. Even today I would probably have reacted similarly--gotten extremely angry then felt a little silly later.

I'm glad they didn't come outside, that could have been very ugly indeed.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But next time, shower before posting. I mean, ewwwwwhwww
You know, I was thinking the same thing.......but I figured he had already had a bad enough time of it without me pointing that out. [Wink]

I love the cat qoute too...I laughed out loud and then read it to my wife, who found that funny as well.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Book, I don't think very many people could go through something like that and not lose their temper. The fact that you didn't break down their door and leave their corpses for the unfed cats speaks well of you.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed with your control as well. I can see why you were very angry to begin with, and I'm glad you forced yourself to think logically...

(and I love it when OSC finishes a book and has time to peak in here at Hatrack ocassionally..) [Big Grin]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
A bucket of beer? How big a bucket? I fnd it surprising that these dreadlock-sporting hooligans would throw away beer!
Ew. Unless it was old keg beer.
Ew again.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Wow. OSC posted on this side.

Wow.

*HEAD A SPLODE*

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
just goes to show.... you never know who's watching.... [Cool]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Narr...was that a Doonesbury shoutout? i hope it was. poor duke and his 'sploding head.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

No, Ben, sorry. Now that I live in New York, I read a paper that doesn't have comics.

It was a Strong Bad reference.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

You go from a cheap shot regarding newspapers that run comics to...Strong Bad.

I never thought of moving from Purgatory and into Hell as being an improvement except, perhaps, for the change of scenery.

-Trevor

narrativium
Member # 3230

That was not meant as a cheap shot. There are plenty of respectable newspapers around the country that run comics.

Just not in New York.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Fair enough - I'm just punchy today. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.