FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New (Gambusi), newer (HesterGray), newest (ummm...me) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New (Gambusi), newer (HesterGray), newest (ummm...me)
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough cough* Uhhhh...Hey look! Someone even newer is right over there! . . . somewhere... I coulda sworn...

Alright, alright. So I'm the newest. I can take it. Been reading along for a day or two and thought I'd follow this trend of saying hi and introducing oneself before getting into the heated debates...errr...pleasant discussions with you all.

Huh. Funny. I don't seem to have too much to say.

About me, I guess? I'm an archaeology student from Ontario, just about to get my expensive piece of paper otherwise known as an undergrad degree. No idea what's next. Ummm...I like books and mythology and classical/medieval stuff and Arctic/Inuit culture and languages in general (any Irish Gaelic or Inuktitut speakers out there who want to get in touch?) and discussing/debating weird esoteric ideas on religion among other things, and actually I've also lately been stuck on thinking about processes of creation (as in art/creativity, not worldly genesis). Hmm. You know, I pretty much like everything, really. Oh, but I do know next to absolutely nothing about politics so I probably won't be joining any of those threads (for all our sakes). I also don't know much about OSC to tell the truth (maybe I shouldn't admit that), other than having read that essay on choices posted below -- but I seemed to have missed the boat for that topic. Next time, next time.

Yep. Well, that's me. And now the person who told me about this place must know exactly who I am while I'm stuck still guessing on his screenname. I'll find you in here yet, D...

Anyway, hi everyone!

~Asta~

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! Don't worry, you won't be newest long. [Smile] Thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome to Hatrack!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! [Smile]

What's with all the newbies being college students? It's not spring break yet, is it?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I think you mean university students. Seeing as how a couple of them are Canadian. [Big Grin]

*waves Maple Leaf*

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Astaril!

I don't speak Inuktitut, but I know people who do. . . I've been to the North West Territories, at least, and yes, north of the Arctic Circle. My sister lived in Normal Wells, and I went to visit. What an interesting experience!

So now that you almost have your undergrad degree, what do you want to do next? Cuz I gotta tell you, the way you're describing yourself and your interests, you could pass for a writer. . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the first thread I started. It was the only one that lasted more than two pages. Haha. I just passed my 6 month mark in december.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

twinky, huh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear you're from the good part of Canada. jk all of Canada is... um... great...

anyways, welcome to hatrack

btw what part of Ontario are you from?

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings! I'm glad you're here! [Wave]

Medieval stuff, huh? You ever hear of the SCA?

I got a kit (cassettes and booklets) recently from the library entitled "Gaelic Made Easy" in an attempt to learn. It was most definitely NOT made easy. But I don't think "Gaelic Made Extremely Difficult and Confusing" would sell very well.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Astaril! [Wave]

Hi, HesterGray! [Wave]

Welcome to Hatrack.

(and hi, Gambusi!)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I'm liking this influx of Canadians! Where in Ontario are you studying, Astaril? I myself am a First Year student studying English/History/Politics at the University of Toronto.

Anyway, Welcome! [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

rivka, we call it university. College is something different here.
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh. Ok. But . . . university has a relatively pretentious connotation here. College would be more generic.

*curious* What does college mean in Canada?

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Canadians represent!

Wait, this isn't some sort of American Internet Brain Drain, is it? Can't we find our own web sites?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Greetings!

Yes, we call Universities "colleges" too, even though colleges are actually subgroups at universities (or stand-alone units). Strange, I guess.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Colleges (sometimes "Community Colleges")in Canada are what you might call Technical or Practical Post-Secondary Education. You tend to get a more hands-on approach and subjects taught there.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I get it. I think we call the Community colleges as well, or technical schools.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, Teshi, that's about right.

CANADIANS RULE!!!!! [The Wave]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

You know, there are actually a fair number of Canadian posters here. (quid, I consider you Canadian even though you live far away [Razz] )
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Group Hug]
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hello! Don't worry, you won't be newest long.
Nope. Not at this rate!

This influx of newbies is great! Fresh blood always livens up Hatrack when the old fogies get too set in their ways. [Wink]
quote:
I also don't know much about OSC to tell the truth (maybe I shouldn't admit that)
Strangely enough, knowledge of OSC is *not* a requirement to be a Jatraquero. [Wink] But I'm sure you will find plenty o' people here more than willing to get you hooked on him.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. [Smile]

quote:
we call it university. College is something different here.
We call it university too, and college here is actually high school. Community college, I believe, is what we call polytech... Silly Americans. Even Canadians are more correct.
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

And that's supposed to mean... [Wink]
ElJay
Member # 6358

I wouldn't necessarily say that University has pretentious connotations here. University just means that the school offers post-graduate programs, wereas a college only has undergraduate.

So, I did my undergrad at a University... but I always refer to it as where I went to college. [Smile] Just 'cause it's more common usage. (Yeah, more common usage HERE. [Razz] )

[ March 01, 2005, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
quid, I consider you Canadian even though you live far away
Twinky, that's so sweet! And correct, too! I am a Canadian, and I'm not giving up my citizenship just cuz I don't plan on ever living in that country ever again! It has many, many more advantages than a Sri Lankan passport has. [Big Grin]

In Sri Lanka, colleges are schools - as in, grades 1 through A levels (it's based on the British System). University is for degrees. Funny, I only found out about that college thing a couple of months ago. Hmm.

Edit to add: Eljay, I didn't know that that was the distinction in the US, but it makes sense to me now. Thanks for clarifying. [Smile]

[ March 01, 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I didn't mean you Teshi. [Wink]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
[Group Hug]
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Whatever anyone else says, I like that smiley.

quote:
Twinky, that's so sweet! And correct, too! I am a Canadian, and I'm not giving up my citizenship just cuz I don't plan on ever living in that country ever again!
I meant that even though you live somewhere else, when I think of Hatrackers who live in Canada I think of you too. [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Twinky, that makes even more sense. I guess I'm still there in spirit a little bit. I love Canada, it's a great country. I just don't want to live there - I'd rather see the world. . . Expand my horizons . . . And not pay the terrifying taxes . . . [ROFL]
twinky
Member # 693

[Razz]

That's fine. I want to do those things too (and have been, or at least have started to). [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

It's fun. It's even better when there's a spouse involved. [Kiss]

And, uhm, Astaril, yes, we are in the habit of severely derailing threads here. [Dont Know] Can't seem to help it. [ROFL] It's like a nasty addiction or something. So, uh, just join in the fray!

twinky
Member # 693

While I suppose that's possible, I'm in no hurry to find out. [Big Grin]
Astaril
Member # 7440

Gah! Right. This board moves quickly. Well, to condense replies:

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

rivka: In fact, spring break was last week. Hardly spring. Definitely a break.

quid: That's awesome about going up north. I was up there last summer and fell in love. With the land I mean. Though otherwise, it might be a more interesting story... And as for that writer deal - funny - I've thought of that. Find me someone who wants my writing and I'm in!

Gumby/Teshi: I'm in Waterloo, currently. Originally from a little farm village by Georgian Bay. As of September, I'll be somewhere else. No idea where. But somewhere else.

Hester: I have indeed got some friends involved in the SCA up here, but I don't know too much about it. It does sound awfully fun. Mostly my medieval knowledge is limited to (very) mildly accurate re-enactments and swordfighting... I'm really a classicist at heart. And I don't think there *is* such thing as Gaelic Made Easy. Easy becomes a very relative term when applied to Gaelic. "Ádh mór" to you with that!

Bob: We can find our own, but using others' is so much more efficient. Incidentally, do I...know you? *dunhdunhdah* Well, that didn't take long. Your syntax is just too unique, I guess...

ElJay: I always wondered why they bothered with two names (college/uni) for schools down there too. Interesting.

As for the derailing, I *did* just join in by derailing your derailment and replying to everything else. Feel free to continue now...

Oh, but since everyone else is doing it... [Hat] to the Canadians! Yeah!

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Oh, I didn't mean you Teshi.
Well actually, technically, I'm not a Canadian, but I like to defend my presently-adopted* country, even if I am yet to be adopted.

*I do not know where I intend to end up, yet.

rivka
Member # 4859

That's not quite what I meant, ElJay. I attended a university -- that is, as you say, a school that has both grad and undergrad programs. I meant, if someone said "Where do you attend university?" instead of "What college do you go to?" I'd think they were a bit of a snob.

Or a Brit. [Wink] Or, apparently, a Canadian, or Kiwi.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Incidentally, do I...know you? *dunhdunhdah* Well, that didn't take long. Your syntax is just too unique, I guess...

You know Bob? Eeeeenteresting. I wonder if *I* know you. (I went to Waterloo and have known Bob since we were both very small.)
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Astaril! [Wave]

I'm not Canadian, but I'm not American either, so I guess that makes me cool, or something. [Razz] Anyway, welcome! Good to see you.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Know me? Why whatever do you mean?

<--- The very paragon of virtue.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I meant, if someone said "Where do you attend university?" instead of "What college do you go to?" I'd think they were a bit of a snob.
What if they said "Where do you go to uni?"
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Then I'd know they weren't from around these parts. [Wink]
Astaril
Member # 7440

Well, Bob, you're the very *something* of gone-off virtue, anyway... [Wink]

twinky, I don't think you do know me. I believe we've met once or twice in brief passing though. Or I may have been mentioned by Bob - don't really know? Hmmm, we could switch the guessing game on to you now since I solved my part already...

Oh, and, if someone has a second, how does one work that quoting someone else's reply magic?

twinky
Member # 693

Here are some details about UBB code, which is what's used to do stuff like quotes, bolds, italics, and bulleted lists.

Also, I think I might know who you are. I'll have to ask BtL to see if I'm right. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
What if they said "Where do you go to uni?"
I detest that term.
twinky
Member # 693

Why?

I was kind of surprised the first time I heard it (which was in New Zealand), because despite five years at university it never occurred to me to abbreviate the word. I still don't, even though the abbreviation is certainly more efficient than saying or typing the whole word. Force of habit, I suppose.

ElJay
Member # 6358

All my German friends say uni. *shrug* I've never heard anyone else use the term. Of course, I've never been to New Zealand.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Everyone I knew abbreviated it, too. But maybe that was just RedNeck Alberta. [Dont Know]

Eljay, why are you still awake?

rivka
Member # 4859

To keep me company. [Wave]
ElJay
Member # 6358

To keep rivka company. [Wave]

I just got home, actually, and I need to wind down a bit before going to bed. Plus I've got quite a bit of interesting e-mail to read...

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Share share share!

I like interesting email. Too bad I hardly ever get any!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.