FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Over the Top - Now the Smokin' Thread

Author Topic: Over the Top - Now the Smokin' Thread
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Edited to Now Read:

It was less than tactful and very disrespectful to write line by line the comments that I listened to from those whose thinking differs from mine . . . My apologies to any that were offended. (However, it was such a relief to get them said! [Wink] )

I still want all the Hatrack denizens to know that I really believe that through my time participating here, I have learned better how to just listen and think about what the other person is saying . . .

EVEN WHEN IT'S KILLING ME TO HOLD MY TONGUE!

[Hat]

To Hatrack!

HOWEVER!!!

The debate about the tobacco industries and lawsuits, and costs of healthcare is very interesting to me - please carry on - I would like to know what you folks know and think - hence, I did save that portion of the original post, below, which sparked the conversation:

Ah - here's a good one. I got the "fraudulent lawsuit" diatribe at least once per day while visiting.

1. It is wrong to expect tobacco industries to pay millions of dollars to individuals that get cancer and other diseases from smoking cigarettes, etc.

{Okay, I confess - I asked for names of "individuals" - since the last I knew was that there were class action lawsuits to try and get money for the state's medical costs of caring for these individuals - primarily paid for via state tax payer dollars because most insurance doesn't have enough coverage to meet the cost of cancer, etc.}

[ February 26, 2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Shan! [Big Grin]

(((((Shan))))) Sometimes trying to be a good listener is HARD, neh?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Eh!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. That's the point when I unleash the verbal Uzis.

Which is why quite a lot of my family won't speak to me.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Davidson family dinners are quite famous for heated discussions of topics like the one above. Very frequently, the conversations end with a shouted cry -- usually from one of the older participants -- along the lines of "I don't care what the facts are! I just know what I know!"

It is at this point that the other people at the dinner award the prize to the other side of the debate. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Eh!
[Big Grin]

See, I can use "neh," but I can't respond with "eh" -- makes me feel too Canadian. [Wink] Works for you, though.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't talk politics with my mom. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eh!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, I can use "neh," but I can't respond with "eh" -- makes me feel too Canadian. Works for you, though.

I don't read neh and eh as Canadian, I read them as Battle School. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Shan. [Smile]

Just wait till Nathan gets old enough to post on Hatrack and debate with his mom.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

MB, that works for me with "neh" but not with "eh." I think that might be because I had pre-existing associations with "eh" but not "neh" when I first read EG. [Dont Know]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
since the last I knew was that there were class action lawsuits to try and get money for the state's medical costs of caring for these individuals
There have been quite a few tobacco suits brought by individuals.

quote:
primarily paid for via state tax payer dollars because most insurance doesn't have enough coverage to meet the cost of cancer, etc.
This comment seems about on the same level as some of the ones your decrying - highly overgeneralized "common wisdom" that is not true. Most medical insurance does cover cancer. Most policies have maximum out-of-pocket limits per year.

While I'm not sure if states pay more than half the costs of cancer treatment as a whole, I do know that for people with health insurance, the insurance pays by far the vast majority of their cost of care.

Dagonee

[ February 25, 2005, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it--why hold your tongue? [Dont Know]

If they give you an earful of opinion, especially if it's lacking in facts or logic, why not give a polite rebuttal?

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not to our own facts.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sometimes arguing is a waste of energy. Especially if it is with people who you a) know will be unswayed by any arguments, and b) wish to continue to have a relationship with.

Also, for me, learning how to NOT argue is an important character-building skill. I say my piece when I think it will be helpful (and/or when I feel it is necessary to have a counterargument to whatever it is on record). Then (as far as I am able), I drop it.

Needing to be right is something I am trying to discourage in myself.

A marriage therapist once told me, "You can be right or you can be married." *sigh* Too true . . . [Frown]

I'd like to be married again, and this time make it last. Regardless of that, my tendency to push my opinion (even when it just doesn't matter) on others is something that I recognize as a serious flaw that I need to work on.

Some days are better than others. [Smile]

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, what do you got against us Canadians, eh?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Thanks for the linky, Dag, to the most recent tobacco lawsuits of 2002 - I have not heard about any individual vs tobacco company suits in the last couple of years - just state/class action - which the "common" wisdom here in this state at least is that standard medical insurance does not cover the cost of caring for tobacco related diseases in individuals - hence, the class action lawsuits so that states could have some money to put into the health care system, and into smoking cessation programs -

You might be interested in the following link, which is where my "common" knowledge of the associated costs come from -

If you can't trust a lawyer and her research teams, who can you trust?

[Razz]

Link to Quote Below

quote:
B. The Damages Caused By Defendants' Unlawful Conduct

16. The intended and foreseeable effects of the conspiracy are several and far- reaching, including but not limited to, increased medical costs to others including the State of Washington , the use of tobacco products by minors in violation of state law, and the failure of the industry to develop and market "safer cigarettes" and other innovative products.

17. A foreseeable and intended consequence of defendants' conduct has been to unjustly enrich the defendants at the expense of Washington's health care system, the state health care authority, state workers' compensation funds, and ultimately, all Washington residents and taxpayers:

a. Approximately 50 million residents of the United States smoke cigarettes, and another 6 million use smokeless tobacco products. Nationwide, tobacco related deaths are a national tragedy: More than 400,000 deaths per year in the United States are tobacco related.

b. In Washington, almost 850,000 adults are smokers. Each year, 8,000 of them die prematurely, each losing on average 11.5 years of life. Another 75,000 Washington adults use smokeless tobacco.

c. Health care costs in the United States are hundreds of billions of dollars each year. Tobacco-related health care costs are estimated to be more than seven percent of total health care costs, and for 1993, tobacco-related health care costs were $50 billion in the U.S.

d. The defendants' conduct has wrongfully shifted to the State of Washington and others costs directly attributable to tobacco usage and exposure that should have been borne by the defendants, including but not limited to, increased Medicaid payments and increased health care insurance premiums for public employees. In addition, the Department of Labor & Industries ("L&I"), as trustee for the Workers Industrial Insurance Program, must assess higher premiums as a result of work-related injuries that are aggravated due to tobacco use by some workers.
18. A further effect of defendant's conspiracy is the targeting and eventual addiction of minors and young people. Recognizing the pernicious addictive nature of their products, the tobacco industry seeks to addict new customers among the most impressionable group, the youth of the nation. The defendants must constantly addict new customers in order to ensure their continued profits.

a. According to a 1994 U.S. Surgeon General's Report, 3,000 children become regular smokers each day. Eighty-two percent of adults who have ever smoked had their first cigarette before age 18 and more than half of them had already become regular smokers by that age. Reports published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicate that anyone who does not begin smoking in childhood is unlikely to begin. For the 3,000 children who become regular users of tobacco products everyday, projections indicate that 1,000 of the 3,000 new smokers will die prematurely as a result of their tobacco use.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, a lot of the state care you mention earlier was for uninsured people, and people on Medicare. The states wanted help to offset the costs of those programs, plus a few others like lost days work cutting into state tax revenues, and second hand smoke risks for non-smokers.

Also, State workers have State insurance, usually provided (but not always) by a third party insurer...and illness rates affect the premiums that the state pays.

There are all sorts of hidden costs they were suing to cover.

Kwea

[ February 26, 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most medical insurance does cover cancer. Most policies have maximum out-of-pocket limits per year.
Aren't the medical costs of cancer the leading cause of bankruptcy in the U.S.?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I dunno, Lady Dove - good question. Anyone know? Or have time to google?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Shan, I can't find the place in your quotation that says that if someone has health insurance, the state pays most of their costs if they contract cancer. Or, alternatively, that most health insurance policies do not have enough coverage for cancer.

[ February 26, 2005, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Have not looked here yet, but it seems like a god place to start.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Hmmm - the stats list only by titles, Danzig - do you know which bankruptcy title deals with illness? I've never looked into bankruptcy before -

Dag - section D seems pretty clear to me that the costs for tobacco related illnesses falls on the taxpayer backs - how are you reading it? *is curious*

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dag - section D seems pretty clear to me that the costs for tobacco related illnesses falls on the taxpayer backs - how are you reading it?
Section D says tobacco causes costs to the taxpayer. I never denied that.

Section D does not say what percentage of those costs fall on the taxpayer, nor that "most insurance doesn't have enough coverage to meet the cost of cancer."

[ February 26, 2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
Aren't the medical costs of cancer the leading cause of bankruptcy in the U.S.?
I remember reading an article about medical bankruptcies this earlier this month.

quote:
In 2001, 1.458 million American families filed for bankruptcy. To investigate medical contributors to bankruptcy, we surveyed 1,771 personal bankruptcy filers in five federal courts and subsequently completed in-depth interviews with 931 of them. About half cited medical causes, which indicates that 1.9–2.2 million Americans (filers plus dependents) experienced medical bankruptcy. Among those whose illnesses led to bankruptcy, out-of-pocket costs averaged $11,854 since the start of illness; 75.7 percent had insurance at the onset of illness. Medical debtors were 42 percent more likely than other debtors to experience lapses in coverage. Even middle-class insured families often fall prey to financial catastrophe when sick....

Illness begot financial problems both directly (because of medical costs) and through lost income. Three-fifths (59.9 percent) of families bankrupted by medical problems indicated that medical bills (from medical care providers) contributed to bankruptcy; 47.6 percent cited drug costs; 35.3 percent had curtailed employment because of illness, often (52.8 percent) to care for someone else. Many families had problems with both medical bills and income loss.

Families bankrupted by medical problems cited varied, and sometimes multiple, diagnoses. Cardiovascular disorders were reported by 26.6 percent; trauma/orthopedic/back problems by nearly one-third; and cancer, diabetes, pulmonary, or mental disorders and childbirth-related and congenital disorders by about 10 percent each. Half (51.7 percent) of the medical problems involved ongoing chronic illnesses.

Our in-depth interviews with medical debtors confirmed that gaps in coverage were a common problem. Three-fourths (75.7 percent) of these debtors were insured at the onset of the bankrupting illness. Three-fifths (60.1 percent) initially had private coverage, but one-third of them lost coverage during the course of their illness. Of debtors, 5.7 percent had Medicare, 8.4 percent Medicaid, and 1.6 percent veterans/military coverage. Those covered under government programs were less likely than others to have experienced coverage interruptions.

Few medical debtors had elected to go without coverage. Only 2.9 percent of those who were uninsured or suffered a gap in coverage said that they had not thought they needed insurance; 55.9 percent said that premiums were unaffordable; 7.1 percent were unable to obtain coverage because of preexisting medical conditions; and most others cited employment issues, such as job loss or ineligibility for employer-sponsored coverage.
Health Affairs Journal

Here are some reader's responses and here's an Reuter's article on the subject.

I haven't had the time to examine the entire study yet, but just posting it as FYI.

[ February 26, 2005, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

BTW, any thread of yours is a "Smokin' Thread"! [Smile]

/cheesy come on

Shan
Member # 4550

[Blushing]

You must've received your e-mail . . .

Thanks for the links!

*runs off to read*

*pops back in to reply to Dag, "Okay, Dag, so are we arguing on the same side of the fence? [Dont Know] Or is it just that you didn't care for my "tone" earlier on?" Heads out again to read the editorial responses provided by Beren.*

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I was disagreeing with "most insurance doesn't have enough coverage to meet the cost of cancer." And I still do, for the reasons above.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

"You must've received your e-mail . . . "

Were you speaking to me Shan? I didn't get an email from you. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

I was, Beren, m'dear - I found some website of yours and sent you an e-mail.

Dag - would that sentence have been more palatable if it said "chronic health conditions" rather than "cancer" specifically?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

No - most insurance does have enough coverage for most chronic health problems.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Dag-
What do you consider "enough"? From the reports I've read, most of those that are forced to declare bankruptcy due to medical expenses, had health insurance.

[ February 26, 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Two flaws with that analysis. First, people with chronic conditions often lose their jobs and have no replacement income. This is a failure of disability insurance, not health insurance.

Second, even if 75% of people who declare bankruptcy because of chronic medical conditions have insurance, this says nothing about the percentage of people with chronic medical conditions whose insurance provides adequate coverage.

Suppose 100,000 people declare bankruptcy for this reason. 75,000 of those have insurance. If 1 million people develop a chronic condition, and 75% of them have insurance, then only 10% of the people with insurance didn't have adequate coverage.

Dagonee

Shan
Member # 4550

Hmmm - well, Dag - I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on your stance. (Edited to include: I am replying to what you said before Lady Dove asked her question.)

Here is some additional information regarding health care costs:

quote:
Costs
No health insurance plan will cover every expense. To get a true idea of what your costs will be under each plan, you need to look at how much you will pay for your premium and other costs.

Are there deductibles you must pay before the insurance begins to help cover your costs?

After you have met your deductible, what part of your costs are paid by the plan?

Does this amount vary by the type of service, doctor, or health facility used?

Are there copayments you must pay for certain services, such as doctor visits?

If you use doctors outside a plan's network, how much more will you pay to get care?

If a plan does not cover certain services or care that you think you will need, how much will you have to pay?

Are there any limits to how much you must pay in case of major illness?

Is there a limit on how much the plan will pay for your care in a year or over a lifetime? A single hospital stay for a serious condition could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You can't know in advance what your health care needs for the coming year will be. But you can guess what services you and your family might need. Figure out what the total costs to your family would be for these services under each plan.

linky

linky to quote below

quote:
Lifetime Maximum
Health care plans usually set a limit on how much they will pay for an illness or injury. This limit is called a "lifetime maximum benefit." When the limit is reached, the health care plan no longer pays for medical care.

Each plan sets its own limit, and the dollar amount of the limit varies widely. Obviously, a health care plan with a high lifetime maximum benefit amount is particularly important for someone coping with a chronic disorder.

link to below

quote:
A. Employment-Based Group Insurance
The most common way of accessing health insurance is through employment. Many employers offer group health insurance benefits to their employees. These benefits are usually available to spouses and children of employees. Some employers pay the entire premium for their employees' coverage; others require a contribution from the employees' paychecks. In general based insurance is the most affordable type of coverage.

If a sick or disabled person is well enough to work, or if the spouse of an ill person can work, employee health benefits can help insure the cost of medical care. However, such plans often limit the coverage they offer. Some group plans may refuse to insure a sick person to prevent an increase in premiums owed by the group. Other employer plans may impose pre-existing condition exclusions. That is, they will not pay for the medical care of an illness which was diagnosed or treated prior to employment. Other plans impose waiting periods during which an employee pays premiums but is not insured. In addition, group plans rarely pay the entire cost of medical care. A standard "major medical" indemnity plan pays 80% of medical care costs after an annual deductible paid by the insured person.

C. Individual Disease Policies
Many insurance companies offer health insurance for coverage of a particular disease, such as cancer. Or, coverage may be offered for a small number of diseases. Such policies do not pay for the cost of medical care for an illness other than the ones specified in the policy.
Individual disease policies are not generally considered to be a good buy. It is difficult to predict in advance what illness an individual may contract. In addition, most insurance companies will not issue health insurance for a particular disease if the person is already suffering from that illness.

D. Long-Term Care Insurance
A relatively new type of insurance product, long-term care insurance pays for the cost of extended illnesses which do not require a hospital level of care. These policies may be sold on an individual basis or as part of a group insurance plan. Usually they insure the cost of nursing home care or a combination of nursing and home health benefits. The cost of such coverage is tied to the age of the purchaser. Because long-term health care is expensive, premiums for long-term care insurance are high. Insurers lessen the cost of premiums by providing partial payment of long-term care costs, imposing waiting periods or elimination periods during which an individual is not covered, excluding care related to speific illnesses such as Alzheimer's Disease, excluding pre-existing illnesses, or requiring a period of hospitalization as a precondition for coverage. In addition, premiums are often pegged to increases in the cost of care, which can result in large increases after a policy is purchased.

Medical insurance does not cover all the costs of medical care - and it is this extra cost which states' AG were trying to recoup (As far as I can tell)

Here's an interesting, if lengthy read - and gets at what mom was talking about, I daresay - after reading, I would also say that the tobacco companies are doing fine - no worries that hordes of flighty law-suit happy individuals will send them into bankruptcy - [Roll Eyes]

Tobacco Litigation

[ February 26, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Medical insurance does not cover all the costs of medical care - and it is this extra cost which states' AG were trying to recoup (As far as I can tell)
Shan, I can't tell for sure, but it seems as if you think I'm saying there weren't state costs associated with tobacco use, or that those costs weren't high. I've not said this at all.

I've said that most people who have health insurance have enough coverage for health care when something catastrophic happens.

Nothing you've posted has contradicted this in any way. The 80% quote you bolded leaves out the fact that most plans cap the out-of-pocket expenses, after which 100% of the costs are covered up to the policy limits.

Dagonee

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
... primarily paid for via state tax payer dollars because most insurance doesn't have enough coverage to meet the cost of cancer, etc.
quote:
Shan, I can't find the place in your quotation that says that if someone has health insurance, the state pays most of their costs if they contract cancer.
Do we also include in this disucssion people who purchase health insurance through their employers and then were excluded when they switch jobs or were too sick to continue working? In such cases, the individual had insurance but the state (or family members) would end up paying the cost of cancer treatments.

Whether this is a failure of disability insurance or health insurance is a very good question. But either way, in the situation I described above, wouldn't the state end up paying if the cancer patient's family doesn't have enough money for treatments?

From Shan's post:

quote:
Some group plans may refuse to insure a sick person to prevent an increase in premiums owed by the group. Other employer plans may impose pre-existing condition exclusions. That is, they will not pay for the medical care of an illness which was diagnosed or treated prior to employment. Other plans impose waiting periods during which an employee pays premiums but is not insured.
A health plan may indeed provide excellent coverage for patients still on their plan. But if their coverage for members comes at the price of excluding potential members with chronic illness, I can see why the state may be stuck with the long term health care costs.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Look, you're all describing situations in which insurance can fail. Nothing posted has said it fails most of the time.

Note, I haven't said the state doesn't end up paying costs associated with tobacco care. I happen to think the tort claim involved here is the worst kind of sophistry, but for other reasons.

Dagonee

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

At first I thought this thread was going in a weird direction. I was expecting this to turn into one of those "Man I have some Crazy Ass Relatives" kind of ranting thread where we all contribute our favorite drunk uncle and cousin in prison stories.

But this healthcare stuff is even better. Where else online can a rant thread turn into a healthcare discussion participated by government workers (cue death star music), lawyers, small business owners, and physicians. [Smile]

LadyDove
Member # 3000

quote:
Nothing posted has said it fails most of the time.
Are you looking for a generalization? [Razz]
Shan
Member # 4550

*is looking for the "schwartz"*

[Big Grin]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

"Nothing posted has said it fails most of the time."

I haven't read all the linked material yet, but that's certainly a fair point. [Smile]

[No No] Don't tease him like that LadyDove.

Tease him like this: Hey Dag, I really think old people should get medical coverage from the government regardless of their income because, well, they're old you know. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Hey, what do you got against us Canadians, eh?
Nothing. I just feel weird if I mimic your speech patterns. Or those of other areas. I don't do "Maine" or "Boston" or any of the varieties of "Southern" either.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Are you looking for a generalization?
No - I'm responding to one. [Razz]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

According to the quotation above about medical bankruptcies, 10% of all medical bankruptcies were the result of cancer. This is about 145,800 cases. Of these, 75%, or 109,350 had insurance when it started.

There were 1,268,000 new cancer patients in 2001 (See the 7th page of this link.) I realize many the population of medical bankruptcies isn't the same as new incidents in 2001, since they likely contracted cancer in earlier years, but we're comparing annual rates so it's not too far off. This means less than 10% of new cancer patients both had insurance and declared bankruptcy. Even taking into account that bankruptcy is not the only indicator of inadequate insurance, we still are nowhere near supporting the original statement. Plus, not all medical bankruptcy results from the costs of treatment - some is due to lost income.

Dagonee

Shan
Member # 4550

Great link, Dag - I can use it for work, too, on the obesity related stats. [Smile]

Page 33 relates to the cost of caring for tobacco related disease -

quote:
One study showed health care expenditures caused directly by smoking totaled $50 billion and 43% of these costs were paid by government funds, including Medicaid and Medicare in 1993.28 These estimates of medical and other costs from tobacco may be low since costs associated with diseases caused by environmental tobacco smoke, burns from tobaccorelated fires, or perinatal care for low-birthweight infants of mothers who smoke 28 and indirect costs, such as work loss, bed-disability days, and loss in productivity, were not included.28 Tobacco costs to our society are best measured by the number of people who die or suffer illness each year because of its use. 27 As a result, the total economic burden of cigarette smoking may be more than $100 billion.

Hmmm. I would expound on what I get out of this particular group of stats, but a wise soul has pointed out that if this were truly a thread about me learning to keep my mouth shut and listening, then perhaps I might want to exhibit that behavior or face the ribbing that will surely follow. [Angst] [Big Grin]

I think we may have to agree to disagree, Dag. Or either agree to be very specific or very general . . . [Wink] Either way, I still take issue with my mother's statement that this country is being overrun by frivolous lawsuits by people who should have known better anyhow, while totally discounting the fact that the government foots a generous portion of that cost.

Go ahead - rib me for trying to get in the last word. I can take it! [Blushing] [Big Grin]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Interesting commentary on that bankruptcy study. I have no idea of its accuracy:

quote:
In "A Bill Bankrupt of Pity," E.J. Dionne [op-ed, March 1] claims that a recent study on bankruptcy found that half of bankruptcy debtors "said illness or medical bills drove them to bankruptcy." In fact, the study, "Illness and Injury as Contributors to Bankruptcy," found no such thing. The number of actual debtors who said that illness or injury was even a significant cause of their bankruptcy was much smaller (28.3 percent). And many of those had quite modest medical bills and missed very little work.

To be able to claim that half of all bankruptcies had a medical cause, the authors had to include a number of dubious case categories, including bankruptcies caused by chronic gambling, alcohol and drug addiction, and birth or adoption, as well as all cases in which the debtor had paid more than $1,000 in medical bills over the two years leading up to the bankruptcy.

This last category is especially misleading. The debtors included in it did not have to claim that medical bills were a special problem, much less that such bills "drove them to bankruptcy." It was sufficient that they spent $1,000 -- hardly an unusual sum for a family over two years.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.