FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Disturbing Anti-Gay Marriage Bumper Sticker

Author Topic: Disturbing Anti-Gay Marriage Bumper Sticker
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a bumper sticker that I thought was normal for the Protection of Marriage crowd. Quite simple said MARRIAGE= then had a clip art of a man and a woman.

Nothing strange about that. There was also some smaller print that I was not able to read.

Yet there was something about it that wasn't right. After following the car a mile or so it hit me.

The woman figure was noticeably smaller than the man.

Was what I took for a bumper sticker against Gay Marriage really a bumper sticker proclaiming Man's dominance over his wife?

I've seen it a couple more times, so it wasn't a typo on this one bumper sticker.

If I were a woman, and against gay marriage, I'd be a little nervous about some of the people I'm associating with. Perhaps more than a few out there believe that one way to strengthen the marriage system in this country is to weaken the women.

Or perhaps the clip art at this bumper sticker's printer was a bit off.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so you wouldn't think the woman was really just a guy in drag.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure they were merely reflecting the fact that most women are smaller in stature than most men. Yep. Sure.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only way I can *not* lose my cool when viewing one of those bumper stickers and violating many Traffic Safety laws, is to choose to believe that a Happy Marriage is always better with His and Hers bathrooms.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you found out your bumper sticker was gay?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the CAR was gay...That's my question.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have a link to a picture of those bumper stickers? I want to see it for myself.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see the it too. [Frown]

I tried, but all I could find were two pro-gay-marriage ones with a similar "marriage equals" theme.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the sticker wasn't anti-gay marriage, but merely pro-pedophelia. Hooray for alternative lifestyles!
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I found one here:

http://cbn.com/special/marriageamendment/merch.asp
(same size figures)

and here:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/victorystore00/mnbust.html

(the man apparently wears the shorts in the family. Perhaps it's the Steve and Terri Irwin bumper sticker)

but also here:

http://www.stampandshout.com/shop/bumper-stickers/marriage-equals.php

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen one of those top ones. Oooo, it made our blood boil.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we using the royal pronoun now, Myr?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle*

Just referring to the carload of people there at the time we saw it.

I talk real good ^^

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
In none of those did the man look bigger than the woman.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it ridiculous that you allow yourselves to be bothered by what some Joe pastes on the back of his car.

Utterly. Ridiculous.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that people are more upset by the popularity of the sentiment than by the sticker representing it.

I see both, all the time (I've never seen one where the woman was smaller - the figures are all the same size). I drive through the gay part of Dallas on the way to work, so I see the bathroom sticker (TM Banna) on Suburus and the other sticker on Ford trucks. I like lots of cognitive dissonance in my world.

[ February 22, 2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if I saw a bumper sticker that said "I hate Koreans" then the blood would rush out of my face and I'd feel disturbed.

It's that targeted negativity, and I'm a sensitive person.

So yeah, it bothers me when I see declarations of opinion that say something about who I am.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.