FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which video game do I need to try out? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Which video game do I need to try out?
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
In another thread, I was told that I haven't played the right games to see the how good storytelling can be in video games.

So, I want to try it out. So I need y'all's help in determining which video game I should try. What is the one game that I should try to be convinced that good storytelling is being done in video games?

Unfortunately, it needs to be a PC game, since the only console I have is Sony Playstation.

Here's the vote tally so far:
(including votes on the other thread)

Knights of the Old Republic: 1
Planescape Torment: 4
FF 3: 1
FF 7: 2
Morrowind: 2

[ February 20, 2005, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Halo is quite compelling and now available on PC. But I found Tomb Raider compelling so YMMV.

I didn't check back on the other thread recently, but I don't think video games are great art. But my entire FPS CV is in this post, so...

P.S. you have 171 posts, dude!

[ February 19, 2005, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I played Halo on the PC, and I was underwhelmed. I hear it's better on th X-Box.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think without the dual joystick control, it would stink. Are you busy monday? I'm coming down to Provo and I could bring my Xbox. You could rent some of these other games. My mom has a 35" TV. Maybe you can meet the mysterious Captain Tagon.

It took us weeks to get through Halo, but we got through Halo 2 (at least on normal setting) in about 12 hours. Probably had to do with us having it on loan for a couple of weeks.

[ February 19, 2005, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think part of the problem is the type of game that you prefer. FPS are not known for their wonderful plotlines any more than the next James Bond movie. In fact I would recommend RPG's for their story telling ability, and Final Fantasy Series in particular (which is available for your Playstation), but you said in the other thread:

quote:
I have never really enjoyed computer RGPs that much, because it takes away my favorite part of role-playing -- developing the character. The only one I've played in recent years is "Neverwinter Nights", which I enjoyed, but not because of the storytelling.

In which case I'd recommend an MMORPG, where you get to personalize your character and make up the story as you go along. The most well-known of these is Ever-Quest, but I'd avoid it for exactly that reason. It's drawn so many people that any chance to enjoy a story line for your character would be completely off-set by the sheer number jerks who play the game. World of Warcraft is a new game that could be interesting, though I've never played it. A lesser known game that I enjoyed was Asheron's Call.

The problem is that in addition to sucking up hours of your life, these MMORPG's often have a monthly subscription fee in addition to the price you pay for the game. Usually the fee is less than twenty dollars a month, but it can add up. And I might add it's hard to do well in these sort of games if you are unwilling or unable to spend large quantities of time on it. Sometimes in order to complete a quest it can take several hours to finish, and there's no way to stop mid-way through without having to restart it completely the next time you log on. Anyway just a few things to think about.

Edited to add: I'm fairly certain there are other games out there which aren't necessarily MMORPG's, that influence the plot-line by choices you make on behalf of your character, however I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head, I'll give it some more thought, and see if I can remember what I'm thinking of.

[ February 19, 2005, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Audeo ]

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, if Deus Ex didn't completely do it for you, then the problem may not be with the games [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

That isn't going to happen -- I won't play a MMORPG, at least not one that requires a monthly subscription.

If I pay for the game each month, then I will feel obligated to play it a certain amount in order to get my money's worth. It will become a chore. I don't need any more obligations, especially not for a video game.

AntiCool
Member # 7386

Deus Ex is far and away the best storytelling game I've played, but for storytelling, it falls far short of a book from my favorite author.

And my favorite author comes out with 1 to 2 books a year, while there has only been one Deus Ex. [Smile]

[ February 20, 2005, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

mothertree
Member # 4999

I was really obsessed with the FPS games while I was playing them, but afterward I was like "what was I so wound up about?" A lot like reading a Grisham novel.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

If you think that the FF games have great stories, recommend to me the one FF game that I should play. [Smile]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Planescape: Torment.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
FF3(US) is quality stuff. The newer ones do it alright, but 3 was what sucked me in. Kefka is such a great villain.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Final Fantasy 7. It was my first FF game. It's fun, it's beyond fun.
One of the best games ever.
Then there is 8 to consider. You can also get FF7 and 8 for the PC I think.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Planescape: Torment. Nothing else even comes close.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that the FF games are some of the most over-rated games out there. Give them a shot if you're looking for a game with a decent video game plot and be prepared for repetitive, unavoidable combat. If you're looking for a game with a truly engaging plot, sadly, the only choice out there is Planescape: Torment (how I wish someone else would make something of its calibre). It's a HECK of a lot more reading than most other games though, be prepared for that. The Fallout RPGs, in my opinion, are second in line for Best Story honours, but are rife with blood, sex, drugs, and coarse language. I don't know that it's the best choice for a lot of people. Sadly, they're also riddled with glitches. It's a testimony to how awesome the games are that nobody talks about the programming problems, but that doesn't change that they're there.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for Planescape: Torment.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Fallout RPGs, in my opinion, are second in line for Best Story honours, but are rife with blood, sex, drugs, and coarse language.
What I liked about Fallout was the fact that most of the Violence, sex, drugs, etc. were completely avoidable if you tried to. The language can be filtered in the game as well. They don't do that much anymore.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Well, Planescape: Torment is definitely winning. I've never even heard of it.

Does anybody know where to buy cheap used games?

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there were two Deus Ex games...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
FF7 was the first game that interested me enough to see it through to the end. My recommendation would be a FF7 or greater.
Michelle

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
porter, i have ff7, ff8 and ff9 for playstation that i could let you borrow if you want to come up to salt lake.

just because it's what i've been playing lately, i'd recommend morrowind, but i've not been paying attention to the story because i've been focusing on developing my character instead.

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Morrowind (w/ expansions)
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Morrowind is hard to say it has A plotline, because the only one that matters is the one you give yourself. What it does have is an abundance of quests, monsters, and dungeons. It does have a main quest, which is quite interesting once you get into it, but not what I'd call engaging. Since there's no particular time limit on any quest, you can drop it completely for however long you want, and come back to it as if no time had passed.

What I would love to see out of Oblivion is more variety in the quests. I'd love to go back to the same person for the exact same requirement, and get something new to do. Gathering mushrooms and flowers gets a little old after a while. I'd really also love to have a little urgency to the game. Having to complete quests before they expire would add a whole new layer of addiction to the game.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's it--I'm going to have to dig out my copy of Planescape: Torment. It's been too long since I've played it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Four games you need to play for the story:

Planescape: Torment
Knights of the Old Republic
Fallout (or Fallout 2, which is actually better)
Grim Fandango

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I went and bought PlaneScape:Torment off of EBay. I'll probably try some of these other ones as well.

But it will take a while -- depending on how much time I have, it can take a *long* time for me to finish a game.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Homeworld, specifically the first one, if you can find it anywhere. Beautiful storytelling, done through black-and-white-animatics as well as cutscenes.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the first Homeworld and never finished playing it. I'll have to go back to it.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, I went digging in my basement for my copy of Planescape: Torment, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere. Where could I have put it? I'll have to see about getting a copy off of ebay or something. Porter, how much did you end up paying for it?
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Like 7 bucks including shipping.

I just found some old discs of Grim Fandango, which I've never played, so I'm trying those out.

Tom, while I seem do disagree with you more often than not on things that really matter, I think you have fabulous taste when it comes to books, movies, and the like. I always take note when you post a list of things like great books, video games, etc..

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Tom, while I seem do disagree with you more often than not on things that really matter, I think you have fabulous taste when it comes to books, movies, and the like.

See, one of my working theories is that books, movies and the like are in fact the things that really matter, and everything else is just an excuse to enjoy them. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I would try:

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Jak II

Jak III

Katamari Damachy

Don't let the cartoony graphics fool you. They are all great games, and Katamari Damachy is extremely addictive.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

While the games Steve recommends are great games that you unfortunately cannot play due to your PC-only restriction, I should point out that none of them will meet your storyline requirements. [Smile]

That said, there's something about the last game on the list that makes it oddly metaphor-worthy on its own. I HAVE found myself observing something really, really bizarre in a marvelous kind of way and thinking, "This is so Katamari."

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Oh......I'm sorry I forgot about your PC or Playstation only restricition...........well..............the only game I can think of that is good for the PC.........is..........Enter the Matrix is a pretty good PC game........
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Enter the Matrix is a pretty good PC game..."

This could only be said by someone who has not played any of the four games on my list. Enter the Matrix is barely a mediocre PC game. [Smile]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I didn't say it was an excellent game........its just good......and I haven't played any of the games on your list.......I have a MAC........but I have played Knights of the Old Republic at someone else's house..............the Medal of Honor games are ok......and I've always liked Age of.........not mythology........the other ones.......I can't quite remember the name.........of course they don't have stories......
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Age of Empires? They're ok, but I don't know how much anyone who played them cared about the stories that develloped as you passed from one mission to another...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop the ellipses! *stab*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well thanks mack, now there is a knife sticking out of my eye. This will look real good when I go to school on Tuesday. [Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

For what it's worth, Porter, I've always kind of scratched my head at Tom's admiration for Grim Fandango. It was interesting graphically, but it really didn't capture me the way it did him.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Nonesense. Mack fences foil, and you can't score on the mask. I'm sure she placed it right on the heart. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Ok fine there is a foil in my chest. And since knives in an eye are tons cooler I'll just have to put one there. *Stabs himself in the eye and leaves the knife there* Is that better? [Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

As long as I don't have to clean up the mess. [Wink]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Enter the Matrix is one of the worst PC games I've ever played.

For a light, kitchy storyline with fun characters, you might try both the FPS/RPG No One Lives Forever games. They're a blast to play, and not terribly hardware intensive.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

mack- No mess......

Everyone- Ok so the Enter the Matrix PC game sucks........lets just forget I even mentioned it.......

mackillian
Member # 586

ELLIPSES! *STAB*
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
But...
Ellipses...
Are ... so... cool...
I haven't played enough games, but Parasite Eve was exciting except for that LAME PART. Gods, it was so lame. So boring and tedious and that's not even how the Crysler building looks inside!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, while the dialogue could have used work and it seemed to devolve into melodrama in places, Warcraft III has an excellent plot, especially when considering that the genre isn't conducive to storytelling.
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

mack- I could use with a stub at the end of my right leg rather than a foot. Could you take care of that foor me? Oh yes, and sorry about the ellipses deal, its a bad habit of mine. I suppose I should use commas, semi-colons, or a single period to seperate parts of my posts? Its just a bad habit. I do it here, VBS, Young Writers Workshop, and on my e-mail. But for your sake I'll try and give it up.

Game you should play- I enjoy the Starcraft games. Not that they have much of a plot, but I still found them to be fun. If you want something with plot just about anything Star Wars would handle it. Plot wise and action wise Spiderman 2 is decent, but its not something you should buy. Its more of a game you would play while hanging out at a friends house. This being said I need to go eat supper. Or sometime soon at least.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I've always kind of scratched my head at Tom's admiration for Grim Fandango."

The game starts slowly, and many of its puzzles aren't particularly inspired. But the art direction, the voice acting and the absolutely flawless scripting succeeded in making Grim Fandango one of those games that doesn't need a movie adaptation because it's already its own movie.

The characters -- Manny, Meche, Eva, Glottis -- and the witty world design (pigeon skeletons, "pushing up daisies," etc.) are tone-perfect, and the nods to various noir genre conventions (particularly the whole poetry bar and casino sequences) are handled with some aplomb. It's also got something akin to an intriguing plotline.

Besides, you'e got quotes like these:
quote:

Glottis: Oh, no. My roots lie not in any Earthly nation's soil. I am an elemental spirit summoned up from the Land of the Dead itself and given one purpose, one skill, one desire... TO DRIVE. Or, to change oil or adjust timing belts if no driving jobs are open.

quote:

Glottis: Manny, until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS.
Manny: What a relief. I was getting concerned that our transportation wasn't ostentatious enough.

quote:

Manny: Glottis. Are you loco? What got into you? That was a company car.
Glottis: Oh yeah. And it's even better company now.

quote:

Manny: Why do you get all the good clients?
Domino: You're asking the wrong guy. You should be taking a good long look at the man in the mirror.
Manny: No, thanks. I don't enjoy that the same way you do.

quote:

Manny: I bet Hector pauses here every day, and thinks to himself, "Boy, I wish I could see past my gut and enjoy my expensive monogrammed floor."

quote:

Manny: Much as I would like to, I just can't bring myself to jump into the giant pit of uncleaned kitty litter.

quote:

Manny: This deck of cards is a little frayed around the edges -- but then again, so am I. And I've got fewer suits.

quote:

Glottis: There was a high-pitched whining noise. Kinda grating, you know? I couldn't nail it down. It only stopped when I pulled up here.
Velasco: What was it? The blower?
Glottis: Nah. It was Manny, screaming like a cat tied to a cruise missile.

quote:

Manny : Did you kill much when you were alive?
Mercedes: Very little.
Manny: Never killed anybody?
Mercedes: I have to confess...I never killed anybody.
Manny: Not even a teensy bit of killing?
Mercedes: MAYBE I JUST WASN'T TRYING HARD ENOUGH.

quote:

Manny: Hey, you stole my poem.
Olivia: Oh, Manny. It was an homage.

quote:

Olivia:
With bony hands I hold my partner.
On soulless feet we cross the floor.
The music stops as if to answer
An empty knocking at the door.
It seems his skin was sweet as mango
When last I held him to my breast,
But now we dance this grim fandango
And will for years before we rest.

quote:

Manny: So what did you think of my poem?
Slisko: I liked it. It was sad and beautiful, like my mother.
Alexi: I despised it. It was too short and said nothing to me, like my father.
Gunnar: I had no feelings about it. It was aloof and licked itself too much, like my cat, Mr. Trotsky.

quote:

Hector: Oh Manny... so cynical... What happened to you, Manny, that caused you to lose your sense of hope, your love of life?
Manny: I died.

quote:

Manny: She must have been beautiful with skin.

quote:

Manny: GONDOLAS? I KNEW we should have checked this side of the mountain before we walked up.

quote:

Manny: You know, you have a really bad taste in men.
Olivia: No, I have a taste for really bad men. There's a difference.

[ February 20, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.