FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Loonatics

Author Topic: The Loonatics
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The Loonatics

This is a WB cartoon series coming out next Fall...and already web-bloggers everywhere have judged it from being "tacky" to "A childhood raping ploy by Bush-supporters in the entertainment industry intent on brainwashing children into good little soldiers!".

(And no, I'm not kidding. And yes, I wonder what that certain blogger would think of the pro-war propaganda the original Looney Tunes did back during WW2 too.)

Me?

I'm mixed. Face it, every attempt to recapture the original Termite Terrace magic has either been only mildly good-to-decent...or an abject failure. Maybe trying something totally new would result in something cool. (I doubt it, because that preview really DOES look crappy. But maybe. Besides, I'm not the target audience)

Plus, this isn't supposed to replace the original characters...it's like Batman Beyond or the Teen Titans cartoon aimed at reaching a totally different, younger demographic. One that loves animated super-hero teams and jagged designs with bright colors.

And in any case, one more fad-makeover won't wreck these characters.

[ February 19, 2005, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, come on, I'd give it a shot. It's a hilarious concept.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
...the duck is named "Duck"?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Oh, and they really should have chosen another name instead of "Duck"...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

According to the WB none of the names (or designs, or ANYTHING) seen in the preview is final. So Daffy's counterpart might get a better (or a worse!) name.

I'm still amused/bemused at the over-the-top responses I'm seeing to this thing on various blogs.

Did "Baby Looney Tunes" strike a nerve like this?

[Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Face it, every attempt to recapture the original Termite Terrace magic has either been only mildly good-to-decent...or an abject failure.
Does Tiny Toons count as one of those? Because I'd say it was better than just mildly good. Not as good as Animaniacs, which had the same target demographics, but still very good. At least from the point of view of someone who was in upper elementary school at the time.

[ February 19, 2005, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Ophelia ]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I liked some episodes of "Tiny Toons", but not anywhere near the amount I did of the material that inspired it.

It's a shame, as I feel the show had some good ideas (and certainly a GREAT voice cast)...but didn't really become consistently good until the final season.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I loved Tiny Toons, even though I was way out of its demo by the time it came on.

This show, though, looks insipid; the art direction alone is painfully simplistic and derivative. [Frown]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yeah, it looks like someone threw Bruce Timm and Akira Toriyama's styles into a blender.

I have no doubt this'll most likely suck (unless they play it like 'PowerPuff Girls' or 'Freakazoid')...but most responses I've read aren't calm and reasonable like yours, Tom.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right. If it's another Freakazoid, it'll probably be fairly good (I miss that show). Otherwise, it's probably going to suck. That said, pretty much all cartoons made today suck. Oh, and "Buzz Bunny" had better have the right accent or I'm going to go kill some WBers.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
psst
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.