FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They say you if you die in your dreams...

Author Topic: They say you if you die in your dreams...
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
that you die in real life.

This is cacapoopoo.

The other night I had a dream I was lying very very still because the Bad Guys were nearby and they would kill me if they thought I wasn't already dead... I had my eyes closed so I couldn't even see if they were coming or not. I didn't even hear them sneaking up on me.

I just heard a loud bang and a pressure on the back of my head and...

This part is kinda disturbing so I'll leave some space for the most squeamish out there
The worst part was I saw the inside of my face for a split second as it pulled away from my skull. Then blackness.

Anyway, I was clearly very dead in my dream, but I did not die in real life.

Anyone else (who read this far) have similar experiences?

Pix

[ February 18, 2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I have died many, many times in my dreams.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you married, Pix? Because you remind me a lot of my brother and if you had children they would probably be like the precogs in "Minority Report". I mean, I have vivid dreams but they tend to be of the entertaining or possibly freudian variety.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mothertree, I'm married =)

And I know my dreams aren't like the pre-cogs in Minority report. Everything leading up to my gory headshot was completely implausible. Plus I know what brought on the dream. I'd just been watching 24 with my husband (it's his first time through the first season) and Terri and Kim had guns to their head.

I too have died time after time in my dreams, but this was the most recent example of it. Weird thing is, I've had so many horrible dreams like that they rarely affect me anymore. It's like watching TV.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've died in my dreams, too. And I've had the falling off a cliff dream and hit the ground, many times. It's all a myth. Either that or I'm invincible. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I always hit the ground back when I used to have falling dreams.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
When I die in dreams, it's not the end of the dream. I had a dream that started with me dying... And then my family brought me back to life with voodoo magic and I was an angry zombie.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
angry zombie
Are there ever happy Zombies?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

quote:

What about Jesus?

Don't hit me! it was just a joke!

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the zombies in Bubba-Hotep were decently jovial.

I have been shot many times in my dreams... sometimes feeling the bullets enter my head, yes.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think zombies are so grumpy because they were better off in the afterlife? This reminds me of the discussion with the Jehovah's Witnesses about Lazarus.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Pix - Your dream sounds at once terrible and awesome.

How is that.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that you die in real life.

This is cacapoopoo.

Not least because if it was true, we wouldn't know. Everyone to whom it happened would have died.

Grissom: How did he die?
Coroner: He dreamt he had died.
Grissom: How can you tell?
Coroner: Uh, something about antereal lateral subdermacamtophoritator... It's all very technical.
Grissom: [quotes some appropriate poetry, have Denise in research find something appropriate about death and dreams]

Cue Main Titles

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
i once i had a dream i knew i was gonna die at the end of the day. that was the weirdest feeling.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a recurring dream a few yars ago that I had a balloon in my hand, and I popped it with a pin. Because of a complete random atomic reaction, the popping balloon caused all matter in the universe to disintegrate. I distinctly remember the feeling in the dream as existence expanded outward and dissolved. I also remember "thinking" in the dream that even though it was my "fault," no one would ever know.

Edit: clarity.

[ February 18, 2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The other day I dreamt that I was walking home from school, and I got mugged. The guy beat me black and blue and took my wallet. I went home, my parents filed a police report, and I deliberately forgot about it. Sometime passes and I'm walking home from school again, you think I would learn my lesson, and the same guy sneaks up on me from behind and puts a gun on my head. He hisses into my ear,"Did you go crying to the police? Hmmm? Well now you won't go crying anymore!" I screamed, he shot me twice in the head, I fell to the ground. My body got up headless and ran home, the whole time not realizing that my head was gone. When I get home and go inside my mother sees me, screams, and runs into the other room with my father. My father gets a shotgun, we don't even have one, and continues to shoot me continuously. Ok so now I have basically died twice. My dad comes over and kicks me out into the street and I get run over by the police that answer my parents call that they make after I'm already dead. And obviously I'm not dead in real life...........so I don't know. I think the whole dream reading thing is bogus...........
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, regardless of whether there are or not, I wasn't the typical Zombie in that I wasn't all, "BRAINS! BRAINS!!" Angry kill people angry.

I was more like, "Stop touching me! Go away! Christ you people are irritating..." kind of a zombie. I was less angry and more.. irritated.

[ February 18, 2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was more like, "Stop touching me! Go away! Christ you people are irritating..." kind of a zombie. I was less angry and more.. irritated.
Isn't that in a movie??? [Dont Know]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard the zombies in Bubba-Hotep were decently jovial.
I love Bubba Ho-tep! [Big Grin]

I've had a dream about aliens attacking Earth a few times. The ships hovered above the horizon(looked like the ones from Independence day) and I was standing outside watching them with my family. Then we saw the laser or whatever kind of weapon it was shoot the ground and saw the explosion spreading out towards us. As it was coming I said my goodbyes to my parents and such. As soon as the fire hit I woke up. I was so freaked out.

I've also been chased by axe murderers, giant animals, and other scary stuff in my dreams, but the one above just stuck out in my mind.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream a couple of weeks ago that I was stabbed in the thigh. I woke up screaming. It took a few minutes for the excruciating pain in my leg to go away. It wasn't a cramp, I felt like I'd really been cut (although maybe not as deeply as in the dream). I'm really glad I don't remember ever dying in a dream.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. You don’t die. I’ve done the falling thing. Hit. Bounced and laid there for a while in pain dying.
Woke up and lay there in pain for a while too. Went back to sleep.
Yuck

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream that I fought the Devil in Hell when I was four years old and he killed me dead.

I also was eaten by a monster in our fruit celler when I was a kid in another dream.

But in unrelated non-death dreams, I had this cool hidden trapdoor by my elementary school that had chutes and slides that took me to this cool private room of mine where the halls were lined with stalls containing the babes of my dreams, all ripe for kissing. (And kissing was all there was because that was all I knew as a kid. So many times I slid down the chute to visit some babe from TV and smooch the night away)...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten shot in the back on my dreams, and it hurt. At the time, I knew I was dreaming, so I was really upset or betrayed or something because you are not supposed to feel pain in dreams, right?

[ February 18, 2005, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I only remember one dream in which I died. Some bad man shot me in the head. I felt it, but it didn't hurt and I just saw white. It wasn't a good dream.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've fallen off cliffs, buildings, down stairs thousands of times. But it turns out I have periodic limb movements, and they were caused by that because . . . as soon as the period limb movement is treated, I stop falling off cliffs, buildings, and down stairs. [ROFL] I've also died hundreds of times in my dreams. [Dont Know]

Ah, well. That's the life. [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I'm about to roll off the bed, my dreams suddenly incorporate a cliff.
I can be sitting in a deli minding my own business, start to roll off the bed, and WHAM. "What, who put me on this cliff?!"
Then I wake up, and I'm ticked off. [Mad]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody really died in their dreams and died in real life?
Wait.. dang.. stupid question.
They wouldn't be able to tell us, would they.

Silly me. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you all ever get that feeling like you're falling into the bed, and then you wake up?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. That is a big pain. Because then I usually have trouble going back to sleep. [Grumble]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
My best dreams are ones where I die.

. . .

Yeah, that sounds a wee bit weird. Allow me to explain. Dying in my dreams only hurts for a second, and once I die, I go into a lucid dreaming phase. I know it's a dream and I can control it. Everything is much much more real, not illogical like dreams normally are. It's like being awake and omnipotent. It's really cool.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucid dreaming is great. I wonder if my "Director's Cut" (where I re-edited and redreamed a dream) dream I described in another thread was a lucid dream? Maybe.

I would love to get ahold of one of those gadgets that help you to lucid dream or become conscious in your dream. [No No] [Sleep] [Laugh] [Sleep] [Wave]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. They have those in the "So You Want to be a Wizard" book series.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever died in my dreams... I always either wake up before then, or find some way of surviving. Hehe, I once beat an Alien (from the movies) when I was completely unarmed in my dream. Thats a vivid one I remember, I woke up grinning. How'd it go...?

I was at my house, I looked out the window of the playroom and saw several of the aliens sneaking up to the house, there was someone with me, can't remember who. I ran upstairs with them, and crept out of the window in my room overlooking the playrooms roof, waited for the aliens to break into the playroom windows then snuck down and ran into the woods behind my house. I sent the person with me up a tree and then rigged a trap for the aliens.. I took a vine that was hanging there and two logs and rigged it so that when the alien came the log would be release and hit it. Sure enough an alien came after us and the log worked like a charm. Then I woke up when it was dead with a big grin on my face.

That was years ago, I still remember it, its one of my favorites. There was more in it leading up to when the aliens arrived, but my dreams tend to jump around a bunch like that. I hadn't at that time seen any of the aliens movies, and I'd only seen previews for them (and been scared outa my pants by those).

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.