FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Psychic Spam

Author Topic: Psychic Spam
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Today I have received spam with the following names in the "From" box:

Porter
Katie
Sara
Nate
Eddy
Banana Girl
Bunny
Tracy
Booker
Steven

All with names close enough to a name I know from Hatrack to have to look twice. And this isn't the account I've published here.

Very strange.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
That is weird.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly pulling them from Gmail? Uses addresses on your own machine?

It is common for spam to use a "spoof" -- meaning it finds a name or address on your own machine and inserts it into the "from" header

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't know - it'd have to be pulling the words out of context from somewhere. Not all of these are in my email, and not all of them are usernames that a program would be able to parse out of my web browser. Plus, I don't think I have spyware.

Certainly, out of about 100 spam I received today, it would be surprising if some pattern didn't exist. It's just weird.

Dagonee
Edit: There was a Karl there, too. With a K.

[ February 17, 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
But no JH...

I somehow feel bad not being part of the FakeSpam community [Wink] .

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I either have exceptional spam-blocking stuff on my email accounts or I'm just not ubercool enough to get spammed. Either way, I can't say I'm terribly disappointed to not have to wade through a bunch of crap to get the emails that are important to me...not that I'm cool enough for many of those either...

[Cry]

[ February 17, 2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Boon ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it spam, or just a weird, empty message with an attachment? I had hundreds coming in for a while, and then they disappeared.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Defintely spam.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.