FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TRUE Slang? / Rhyming

Author Topic: TRUE Slang? / Rhyming
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my poems has the following stanza:

quote:
The following morn I will wake with a head
So much wiser than what it is now,
Yet the regular man, so the group – such the clan,
Will not worry when, where, what or how.

My father alerted mt that "regular" can be interpreted as one who has his defecation working perfectly fine; in other words, no constipation diarrhoea.

Is this true? I prefer "regular" to "ordinary", in this case. But, if it is inferred so, I'd rather change it.
---

Also, is it appropriate to change the rhyming scheme? All stanzas' rhymes in that poem are:

A
B
A
B

Except for the last one, which is:

A
B
CC
B

Is this okay and common, if I like to write older-style poetry?

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You've never seen those fiber supplement commercials about how they "keep you regular"?

Yes, regular means that. But I didn't think of it when I read it. However, I didn't really know what you were talking about there; it took me 4 reads to understand it. So you may want to re-write in clearer language anyway.

[ February 17, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
The poem, or the thread?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The poem.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

If it makes more sense:

I have followed my heart to a place of no light,
And I washed in the Pool of Despair;
And thus, I will always be deep in the night,
I will rot with my soul deep in there.

I have looked through the Cave of the Nothingness once,
And have carried my fears alone;
And now with those fears I sense it’s a trance,
And I tremble so deep in the bone.

As I wander the alleys in lands oh, so dark,
As I trot on the blown away sand,
I fear that I’ll not return to be stark:
My Sisyphean fears at hand.

I know now what Hades had felt in his heart,
And I now sense these fears are true;
I know as the storm ends, a new one will start,
And the grey will then cover the blue.

The following morn I will wake with a head
So much wiser than what it is now,
Yet the regular man, so the group – such the clan,
Will not worry when, where, what or how.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I still just don't really see where you're going with that line. It weakens the poem, I think you should change it to something else that expresses your theme more clearly.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

It's a finalisation.

"The following morn" - a futuristic summary; "I will wake with a head so much wiser than what it is now" - this shows that it's all a dream or a nightly rhapsody, and that the whole loneliness showed me the ways of the wise.

"Yet the regular man" - showing that this wisdom applies not to any standard person. "Ao the group - such the clan" - if you want the widom, you must search it yourself, without any grouplike thoughts.
"Will not worry when, where, what or how" - which shows you that those who did not 'get wisdom' will not care; otherwise they'd search it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thank you, but I understood what you meant to say; it just doesn't "fit" all that well with the rest of the poem.

Plus, the language is awkward. It detracts.

If you mean "ordinary", don't say "regular".

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
John, you know my advice in these situations. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Yes, I do, Tom.

Don't go berserk with rhymes (even though that's one of your ground rules on your Web page).

Or, the writers' forums.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.