FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Puppy Bowl

Author Topic: The Puppy Bowl
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I know a lot of us were watching the Superbowl last Sunday. But who among us was watching.... the Puppy Bowl?

The entire day of the Superbowl Animal Planet played a show that consised entirely of a bunch of puppies in a pen designed to look like a football field playfully romping for four freakin' hours. There wasn't any talking. Just puppies romping and playing and soothing guitar music. Occasionally one puppy would, like, do a really good romp or fall down or something? And then the words INSTANT REPLAY would flash across the screen and we'd see the madness again, only in slow mo. Sometimes there was an instant replay for no discernable reason. Later a referee came in and called a penalty on "Illegal use of paw" and proceeded to put a lot of doggie biscuits on the floor. In no way was either team penalized, or were there any distinguishable teams.

I am not kidding. I watched parts of this thing. It was stunning in its simplicity, hypnotic in its stupidity.

Here are what I think the main demographics of the Puppy Bowl were:

1. Children
2. People with the Minds of Children
3. Other Dogs
4. The Drugged
5. The Bored
6. The Lonely
7. Dog Lovers Who Love Dogs So Much It Really Creeps You Out

I have to admit, it made me want a puppy, though.

You can see clips of it here: http://media.animal.discovery.com/convergence/puppybowl/preview.html

I especially like how "tackles" translates to "awkward and bewildered attempts at dog sex."

[ February 10, 2005, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Animal Planet is running out of ideas.

This was pretty cute, though.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it was either that or a "Canine Cops" marathon, and I think they're saving that for Oscar night.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who spends hours in pet stores playing with puppies I can't have (I live in an apartment), I can see why some people may enjoy that show. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
We wanted to watch the Puppy Bowl, but we don't have Animal Planet anymore. I think our interest fell mostly under the "bored" category, but also, our lives are revolving around our puppy right now, so it seemed to make sense.

I think I would have enjoyed it... on Christmas day, TNT or BET or something was playing hours of video of different fireplaces with Christmas music in the background. I loved it. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it for a little bit too see what it was. I found the closed captioning extremely funny, "*barking*...*barking*...*barking*...*barking*...*barking*...*growling*...*barking*......"

[ February 10, 2005, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
We watched it for a few moments, and were flabbergasted. I made a joke about buying it on dvd, and 30 seconds later they actually advertised that you could. It was quite disturbing. At one point a ref came out to declare a penalty, and by declare a penalty i mean clean up some pee. Craziness.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, illegal use of piss.

quote:
I especially like how "tackles" translates to "awkward and bewildered attempts at dog sex."
I was under the impression that the puppies had not reached sexual maturity.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Sexual maturity isn't a pre-requisite for sexual behavior. Many mammals imitate sexual behavior long before they are able to actually pro-create. And even young male humans play with themselves long before they can reach any kind of climax.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the “Puppy Bowl” and thought Geoff would be going up against other prominent authors kids in a battle of the ages!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
We actually had that turned on for the better part of an hour, I think, though we were only actually paying attention for a few minutes. We're all animal lovers, so watching cute puppies romping around was more entertaining to us than most I guess. The rest of the time we were just working on our knitting and occasionally glancing up at it. And yeah, I noticed the Jack Russell Terrier in particular kept trying to hump the other dogs, which is as much an attempt to assert dominance as it is a sexual behavior (our roomie's female JRT would routinely hump the two dogs below her in the pecking order at her previous home, just to remind them who was boss--very funny as they were both boys).
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine it also played well at the "Super Bowl Parties" where it may have been turned on as background TV in the rooms where the Football haters hung out.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sexual maturity isn't a pre-requisite for sexual behavior. Many mammals imitate sexual behavior long before they are able to actually pro-create.
My 5-month-old female puppy is currently trying to figure out how to hump my foot. She's being very, very careful about it. It's so cute. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
See, I try and make a brainless post and there you guys go all smartin' it up.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.