FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OT: Legal Eagles, bit of help? (stepparent adoption in Oklahoma)

Author Topic: OT: Legal Eagles, bit of help? (stepparent adoption in Oklahoma)
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Long story short, my ex gave up his rights to my seven year old son recently. In his termination papers, he has the right to have it overturned if no adoption takes place within nine months.

My husband has been my son's only father for his entire life, and we've been talking about making it official for years. Now that it's a possibility, we simply can't afford $1500 for an attorney plus court costs. (Of course, if the ex would pay the back child support he accumulated up until the termination, this would be a non-issue...but that's a whole 'nother ball-o-wax!)

Needless to say, we need to get this done ASAP. I've called the Tulsa County court clerk here in OK to ask about whether an attorney is required and whether forms are available but she was distinctly unhelpful. Very frustrating.

Any ideas? Thanks.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you done a consultation with a good attorney about what the costs would be if you went through them and if you could do it yourself? I'd suggest asking some friends and colleagues if which attorneys they would recommend, then visiting a few of them. Any reputable attorney will have that conversation with you for free.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Try calling the Tulsa School of Law legal clinic.

If they can't help you, they should know who can.

Edit: Also, an attorney should give you a free consultation and an up front price for an uncontested adoption.

Dagonee

[ February 08, 2005, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I went to school at TU.

Not in the Law school, of course.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
You should contact the Oklahoma State Bar and see if there are any pro bono programs in your area.

You can also contact Oklahoma Lawyers for Children (405 23-CHILD) or Tulsa Lawyers for Children (918 585-1711) and see if anyone in their organization is interested in doing pro bono work.

If all else fails, try contacting the large law firms in your area and see if they have pro bono programs. Usually helping out with adoption is a very popular form of pro bono work for first year associates.

Good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.