FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question for The Pixiest, or other network minded people

Author Topic: A question for The Pixiest, or other network minded people
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know how you can force a profile onto all users on a network? We are on NT Server 4.0 with XP Pro Machines (NTSF format), and I was asked to make everyone who logs in have the same background, screen saver, icons, et cetera.

I know I can paste shortcuts under "all folders" and everyone will have them, however, I want to share settings too.

I have set up a dummy account and copied all folders from that User Id's document and settings. I pasted them over the Default Users documents and All Users documents, but only the shortcuts are forced onto the other user ids.

How can I force the screen saver, background, and even show my computer and show internet (not the shortcuts but the actual link) on the desktop?

thank you [Smile]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
They did this a lot on campus when I worked there. I don't know the exact settings to get my computer and IE to show on the desktop without actually remote-controlling the computer. However, the only way to make sure that each computer has the same desktop and icons is to periodically delete all the user profiles on the other computers. The default user profile doesn't do anything until a new user profile is created by the OS. XP uses that info to create the profiles after someone logs in to the domain. If you know much about scrpt writing (which I don't) it's easy to set the computers up to delete all the local profiles every few days or so. Otherwise it has to be done manually from an Admin account on each computer. Beyond that, I'm actually out of my domain so [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The correct answer is to get the hell off NT4.0 and move to Windows Server 2003, which makes your request a fairly trivial Group Policy/roaming profile issue.

There are workarounds, but absolutely none of them are as good as migrating to a platform that isn't completely, ridiculously obsolete. Moreover, the settings you're looking to change are stored in the XP client registry (both HKLM and HKCU), and it's clear from what you've said so far that you shouldn't be messing with pushing out universal registry changes.

[ February 08, 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Tom. Move to Active Directory before Fred Flintstone asks for his computer back. =)

**raaaaaawk** It's a living.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no clue how to do this, but I know it's possible.

About 6-8 years ago, the Navy command I contracted at had all their desktops set up so that no one could change the desktop settings. If this must be done at each workstation, it would only have to be done once, which gets rid of half your problem.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"About 6-8 years ago, the Navy command I contracted at had all their desktops set up so that no one could change the desktop settings."

This is indeed one of the least technically challenging workarounds in your situation. XP supports fairly sophisticated local policy. You could log onto each machine and set up local policy to prevent many changes and/or mandate certain settings. (As you get more sophisticated, you can do this remotely and in batches.)

But, again, a move to a real server OS is a better fit.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I know a new server is a must, but I am not in charge of budgeting. The server mostly works, and the boss says it stays.
[Grumble] [Cry]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Give your boss my E-mail and I'll explain to him the business case. Unless you guys are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, the CBA for an upgrade to AD isn't going to be a hard sell.

[ February 08, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

lem
Member # 6914

How much do you think an upgrade would cost?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Do you only have the one server? Are you running any other form of directory services? And how many users do you have?
lem
Member # 6914

We have 2 servers, but one server really runs everything. ALl users (about 200) log onto the one server. There is a bookeeping server in one department, but I can access it through my other server log in.

All the printers are on the one server as well as all the network folders.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Sounds like your best investment, in terms of manpower management, would be Small Business Server 2003. For 200 users, the list price of that upgrade would run around $9500. And if you're only running one box, I'd recommend something hefty; figure $4000 in hardware.

Note that you can do a lot better than that preliminary pricing if you've got a licensing account with somebody.

(BTW, I'd throw in Norton Ghost 2003 Enterprise when you make the purchase; in the environment you describe, this could cut your manpower in half.)

lem
Member # 6914

I solved the problem! Pasting into default users does work because the machines have DeepFreeze on them. I was checking it with my other profile, but since I had already logged in, my profile was already created. Once the machine powered off, my new local profile was based off of the default constraints.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.