FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pig-Lickin' Cake

Author Topic: Pig-Lickin' Cake
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the name, this cake contains no pork products.

Don't ask me where the name came from (though I've heard it has several names) but I tried baking one up today, and it turned out great!

Tender, moist and sweet. And really good at helping chase away a little of the winter blahs.

Here's the recipe:

For the cake itself-

1 package (18.25 ounces) yellow or gold cake mix. (NOT the kind with pudding included in the mix.)

1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges in light syrup

1 stick butter, melted

1/4th cup vegetable oil

4 large eggs

pineapple juice reserved from one 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple

For the frosting-

12 ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed

1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla or pistachio instant pudding

the drained crushed pineapple

Directions-

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Generously grease a 13x9 inch cake pan, dust with flour. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, mandarin oranges (with the syrup included!), melted butter, oil and eggs. Mix until the batter looks well blended (the oranges should be all broken up in the batter). Pour into the cake pan, smooth with a rubber spatula and bake for 25-29 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven. Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes.

Poke holes onto the surface crust with a toothpick. Pour the pineapple juice over the cake while it's still warm. Do it evenly enough that the entire cake sops up the juice. Let it cool for about 35-40 minutes.

For the frosting, combined the thawed whipped topping, pudding mix and crushed pineapple in a large mixing bowl. Stir until it looks well combined and the pudding has dissolved.

Frost the cooled cake.

Very tasty.

[ February 07, 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had that at a baby shower once.

Not my favorite, but everyone else seemed to like it.

I have this thing about CoolWhip.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds really good. But I’m not a fan of CoolWhip either.

Does it have to be CoolWhip or can it be some other delicious dairy based frozen whipped topping?

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering I never mentioned CoolWhip once in the recipe, I think it's safe to say that one doesn't have to use that brand. [Wink]

I certainly didn't. I just use my generic store brand whipped topping because it's cheap and tasty.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"Whipped topping" is usually non-dairy.

Ick. It's all CoolWhip to me. If I must use a topping, as opposed to whipping my own heavy cream, it's RealWhip Extra-Creamy (the ingredients are heavy cream, sugar, and a few preservatives and flavorings, as opposed to their regular, which is mostly chemicals). If.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

I'm allergic to polysorbates. Thus I must avoid the non-dairy whipped topping.

I remember the day I had to give up Tweenkies when it developed.
[Frown]

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the non-dairy makes the lactose intolerant folks very happy. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer thick cream, whipped, to anything else, even though my family owns no electric mixer and we have to use our arms.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Try it with a spoon or a whisk instead. It's less messy.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

I just use one of those hand cranking mechanical contraptions. You know, the one with the big gear and to two little gears that are attached to some beaters and you operation by turning a small crank attached to the big gear?

I can only take lactose in small amounts. But milk fat usually has little or no lactose in it.

[ February 07, 2005, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Steev ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You mean an eggbeater? [Razz]
Steev
Member # 6805

Yeah! That's it.

I've never use it for eggs so I never associated it with beating eggs.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.