FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Homosexual marriage Vs. Multiple marriages.

Author Topic: Homosexual marriage Vs. Multiple marriages.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
What gives people who have been divorced the right to re-marry, when gay people aren't allowed to be married?

To me, it is a lot like criminalizing marijuana while raking in tax dollars the tax dollars of the hard liqour industry.

Hard liqour is more harmful than marijuana in every way, yet you can advertise liqour and go to jail for smoking marijuana.

Both issues are bogus and harmful two-headed monsters.

None of the people who speak for "the family" and "the Christian religion" speak with the mind of Christ, their like 8 year olds trying to understand being 40.

The Bible says many demons and devils will
misuse scripture to empower their own wicked causes.

Judge a tree by its fruit.

every time.

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
None of the people who speak for "the family" and "the Christian religion" speak with the mind of Christ, their like 8 year olds trying to understand being 40.
Do you really think this kind of rhetoric will convince anyone Thor?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's fairly true. Unless you really think that you understand God.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

If you believe that Christ speaks through Prophets (like Issiah of the Old Testament, or Peter of the New Testament) then if they pronounce God's word on the subject you no longer have to guess at what Christ thinks, He's already told you (and the world).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unless you really think that you understand God.
Why is it so Bold for me to think that I have a very personal understanding of Jesus Christ, God and the Holy Spirit?

Does the pope not claim that and more?
Does George W. Bush not make global choices
believing he is a hand of God?
Billions of people
speak what they believe
they know of God.

I shall do the same.

Mind you,
I have known and loved God since I was
a small boy.

I have not doubts that
the Lord is the Great Father,
and the Great Creator.

I've been a poet and a writer and a worker for over 25 years of my 33 year old life.

My credentials are quite fair.

If the Bush Conservatives want to pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, because the Bible defines it such, let them also ban 2nd, 35, 4th and 5th marriages, for the bible defines it so.

Judge those who speak of God,
by their words.

Jesus' words are King.

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
Does George W. Bush not make global choices
believing he is a hand of God?

No, he doesn't.

quote:
Billions of people
speak what they believe
they know of God.

I shall do the same.

That's fine, just keep in mind there's a difference between "know God" and "understand God".

quote:
Mind you,
I have known and loved God since I was
a small boy.

I have not doubts that
the Lord is the Great Father,
and the Great Creator.

I've been a poet and a writer and a worker for over 25 years of my 33 year old life.

My credentials are quite fair.

I'm not sure what being an artist has to do with being able to understand God, but loving God sounds like a good set of credentials to me. [Smile] Of course it depends on what you're planning to do with them...

quote:
If the Bush Conservatives want to pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, because the Bible defines it such, let them also ban 2nd, 35, 4th and 5th marriages, for the bible defines it so.
I assume 35 was supposed to be 3rd, right? Well either way keep in mind that there were several people in the OT who had multiple wives and were still in good standing before the Lord. Not that I would really be upset if there was a constitutional amendment banning polygamy.

Also, remember that the typical versions of these amendments define marriage, they don't "exclude" marriages. Yes I'm sure that's what everyone supporting them really wants them to do, but in this context the amendment isn't just a list of things that don't count as marriage, so you can't just tack on "no polygamy either guys" to the end.

Also, most of the versions I've heard of define marriage as between one man and one woman, so it would stop multiple wives...

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Hobbes, do you think polygamy is wrong?

(Trick question-- there's a right answer. [Wink] [Razz] )

*enjoys being a pain in the butt occasionally*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Razz] No I don't think so, I just don't much care if there's a constitutional amendment that would ban it

Hobbes [Smile]

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
The correct answer is:

"It is ok only if I can clone Annie over and over and over again."

[Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Cor. 6:19-20).

I’m not sure if it will do to quote a verse in this argument. But this says to me that I should take care of my body. Be fit. Not overeat. Not smoke or do drugs. We know that these things are unhealthy.

The Bible also allows for you to marry again in cases of fornication.

Matthew 19:9 - And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hard liqour is more harmful than marijuana in every way, yet you can advertise liqour and go to jail for smoking marijuana.
I had a police officer explain to me that the reason Marjuana is illegal is because there is not instant test for it.

If you get pulled over, are about to operate, are about to fly a plane, or do anything else that society says is unsafe to do while in an alternative state, then police officers need a means to test for the substance.

Altho alcohol is far more dangerous then marijuana, police can test for alcohol on the spot. If someone is on marijuana, there is no quick way to ascertain if you are under the influence.

I am not sure I believed his arguement, but it was the first anti-marijuana arguement that made any type of sense to me.

His conclusion was that if we came out with a breathalizer for pot, it would become legal. He claimed he would vote for it to be legal.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG... I agree with Thor...

::head explodes::

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
From this month's Sugar Beet:
quote:
Gay Polygamists Make Bid for Legitimacy

CAMBRIDGE, MA--In a bold move, Latter-day Saints who are both homosexual and
polygamist have banded together to lobby for greater acceptance and understanding. Called
Poly-Gay-Mists Now and Forever, the advocacy group has begun holding rallies,
seminars, love-ins, and mass weddings in Massachusetts, with events planned soon for
locations in California and Utah.

"My Heavenly Father created me to love men, and not just one," said Daniel Bryant, a
sixth-generation Mormon who grew up in Centerville, Utah, and now lives in
Somerville, Massachusetts, where he serves as editor of the group's newsletter, Come, All Ye
Sons of God. "I am a gay fundamentalist who believes in Joseph Smith's original
teachings regarding the plurality of partners, and I believe that extends to same-gender
relationships. We're trying to be true to our feelings as well as our heritage."

Kevin Brooks, founder of the Poly-Gay-Mist movement, would not speak directly to The
Sugar Beet. We have learned, however, that Brooks grew up in a fundamentalist
polygamist family in Colorado City, Arizona. Leaving home at age 17, he departed from the
faith's teachings for a season. Two years ago, he became reconverted to
fundamentalist beliefs, but by then he was already gay. Today, he is eternally sealed to four
men.

"This merging of two Mormon subcultures is unexpected but strangely inevitable,"
said Eric Newberry, a University of Utah sociologist. "It's as if the two opposite ends
of the spectrum curved back and met in the rear, so to speak. If this catches on, it
could help alleviate the extreme competition for females among fundamentalist
Mormons."

George Welch, spokesman for the National Association for the Advancement of
Polygamists (NAAP), said, "While the Poly-Gay-Mists are not a traditional polygamist group,
we nevertheless embrace them with open arms, and they're welcome to have a booth at
our NAAP convention in October. In fact, we hope they'll queer-eye some of the other
booths that could use a little more pizzazz."

For more information about Poly-Gay-Mists Now and Forever, visit
www.multiplehusbands.org.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
LJ: [ROFL]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] That's great.

Hobbes, the correct answer is, "It's wrong for me..."

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[editted because I decided it was totally off topic anyway] carry on

[ February 04, 2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

No, I like vwiggin's answer the best. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But you haven't been directed that the law is once again in effect and applies to you. So that's not the right answer. [Razz]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yes it is. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Why?

Oh, I suppose you're saying you don't know how to clone people. Okay. [Big Grin]

[ February 04, 2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Because no one's figured out how to clone people yet either so my answer (from vwiggin [Hat] ) isn't wrong, and it's a lot sweeter. [Kiss]

[EDIT: Ohh fine, edit while I'm responding [Grumble] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ February 04, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Laugh] Hobbes

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.