FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Charmed stealing from Card

Author Topic: Charmed stealing from Card
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else watch Charmed?

Did anyone else connect their recent season finally involving the "Avatars" with Cards "Worthing Saga"

or am I just strange in that particular way.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say you're strange. But I haven't been watching every episode, so I am missing stuff.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Charmed is the most thievery show of all. I watched one recently that was based plot point by plot point on the terrible eighties fantasy movie LadyHawke. Except no synthesizer music, thank GOD.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
terrible eighties fantasy movie LadyHawke.
Hey! I love that movie!

Ok - I love it mostly because I saw it during my formative years and it's nice and nostalgic and all the rot for me...

I do agree about the music, though...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey! I love that movie!
So do I! I just added it to my DVD queue yesterday, in fact. I haven't seen it in ages.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
It was not a direct theft.

The girl turned into the wolf on charmed, not the guy...

and the guy turned into an owl, not a hawk...

so there!

ok, otherwise pure theft.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I admit, I liked the movie for its pure campiness and inclusion of Matthew Broderick. (had huge Broderick crush in my younger years.) But man... The cheesiness. The music!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did anyone else connect their recent season finally involving the "Avatars" with Cards "Worthing Saga"
Yes, immediately. But it's not quite a ripoff - they kill those who can't comply with utopia, not modify their minds.

I actually see this as less evil for some reason.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a few minutes and thought of OSC immediately. But, Dag, if they didn't modify minds to some extent, then why didn't the girls feel grief?
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought of Worthing immediately, too. And I thought the killing made it weaker. Realizing that it was wrong even in the absence of killing would be a deeper and more powerful message. But it would also perhaps require more thought than most Charmed watchers are used to, or at least than the producers/writers of the show expect of them.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
But, Dag, if they didn't modify minds to some extent, then why didn't the girls feel grief?
I didn't watch enough to pick up on that. I just saw them kill the two people fighting, and the arguments about it right before that.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
I have watched a lot of the old episodes of charmed, but lost track of the new episodes a couple seasons ago, around the time of the whole goddesses thing, i think. The show definately steals ideas, and visuals at least with some regularity it seems, but it is entertaining most of the time.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladyhawke was a great story, I thought. But it was rendered fairly poorly, and suffered a lot from the synthesizer music and other anachronisms. (like her dress towards the end)
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Ladyhawke and was totally bugged by the Charmed ripoff of it.

I didn't immediately connect the Avatar story line with the Worthing Saga either, and I'm not sure there's a connection there. The idea might have some similarities, but it isn't like it enough (in my mind) to be called a rip-off.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I thought they were just going with the Ladyhawke theme, and were going to have a creative resolution, until the whole eclipse thing happened.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.