FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Isn't this cool???

Author Topic: Isn't this cool???
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the other day, I started reading Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card, as you all know. It was in my History class, and we usually don't do too much in that class. But the teacher decided to teach us something. That day's lesson was about Tecumseh(Ta-Kumsaw), the Prophet(Lolla-Wossiky), and the Battle of Tippiecanoe(Tippy Canoe). I didn't realize this until awhile later, but isn't that cool? [Dont Know]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
sweet
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't realize it until a while later? *blink*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol.. its a good thing they force students to learn history. I think at times that if it were not mandated people would not actively care about what happened before they were alive.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody cares about it because it's mandated.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Groan. "Tippecanoe and Tyler too!"
This brings back embarrassing memories of my father singing historically-pertinent folk songs to my eighth grade history class.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! [Smile]

I look forward to using Alvin Maker a san interesting Lit/ History (showing cause and effect through alt. history)unit some day.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My dad had us read a bunch of Howard Fast novels to go with our text book. I loved them, but Alvin would have been so much more fun!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Nobody cares about it because it's mandated.

But at least they know about it. That's all that matters.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned practically no history in high school, even though it was mandated.

I got interested in it years later, and now I know a lot of it.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

We had a history teacher who never got very far in the book, but went into great depth on eras. As a matter of fact, we never left the Fertile Crescent the whole year. It remains my favorite history to read about.

"Hammurabi was an Amorite."

Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
People saying they don't do something because its mandated are generally lying to themselves a little bit, I know that when I said things like that it was a half-truth of sorts. Did you not learn anything in school because it was all mandated? I have to hope not.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I never did something just because it was mandated, but if I happened to be interested in it I would not care if the authorities were "making" me do it.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.