FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » School Fundraising Question

Author Topic: School Fundraising Question
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be getting a job offer on Monday for America's Lemonade Stand.

The job would be to go to schools and ask the various club leaders, "Hey, do you need money? Here is how your organization can earn some."

Before I make a decision on this job I would like to know if any of our teachers/students/parents have had experiences with this organization, or what they think of people who do this.

Thanks.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What level of schools are targetted ?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Highschools mostly, some elementary.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you the guy who pitches the fundraiser to the kids as well, or just to the school?

We have the Candy Man, who sells the selling of candy bars, and is quite a character.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Well, I am quite a character too.

I would pitch it to the kids or parent groups, to have them sell. Things ranging from expensive chocolates to jewelry to a catalog of fun things.

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
We love our fundraiser lady. She has worked with my school for six years. The kids and teachers all think she's great.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think you would have a blast. Make sure to hand out prizes. The Candy Man can, and he mixes it with love. You know the drill.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I thought the Dentist made the Drill when candy prizes were involved.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Nah, he just puts a cap on the number of prizes he hands out. At least, that's what he Aims for.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
If you get the kids out of class I'm sure they'll love you.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I forgot to mention, if I take this job I have to take 2 weeks of training...

in February....

in Iowa.

I mean I'd love the chance to visit our Iowa Jatraqueros...

but February in Iowa?

Brrrrrr

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft. It's 26 degrees and sunny and it's only 10:30. Snow's been melting everywhere. Which is bad, 'cause now all the dirt shows.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, we'll even let you practice your sales pitches on us. We're that nice here in Iowa.

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be the downer.

I.hate.school.fundraising.

However, I have nothing personally against people who sell fundraising for a living.

Dan do you have a college degree? I just ask because we were always looking for college grads with sales experience when I was with the pharmaceutical company, and since I was in charge of calculating bonus I know that pharmaceutical reps make decent money - and we were one of the lower paying companies out there because we were so small.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Belle I would love to get into pharmacueticals. They have gone past looking for college grads with sales experience. They are now looking for college grads with medical degrees, or with 2+ years selling pharmacueticals.

I did try talking one company into going with 20 years sales experience instead. I got a, if the other 2 don't work out, we'll call you-responce.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What is it with Iowa and education-related services? Something in the corn?

Dan, those things have always made me uneasy, but I've got no reason to give as to why that I can articulate.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...is it because we paid so little that we didn't ask for pharmaceutical experience? We did prefer medical degrees or certification, had more than a few nurses and respiratory therapists working for us.

When I was still there, which was 5 years ago, we started at base salary of 32K, with bonus potential up to 50K. Realistically most folks, especially new ones, made only about 15-20K in bonus.

Typical perks like expense account, company car, etc.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I'm just envisioning you going in with your clown suit on.

"Hey Kids! It's Dan from America's Lemonade!"

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

That's almost exactly what the HR person from the company said. (Yes, my clowing is on my Resume).

I then informed him that since so many kids are scared of kids, I didn't want to show up and see a stampede of people running in the other direction.

I got enough of that when I was single.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"since so many kids are scared of kids,"

ha ha. I like this typo. You should dress up like a giant middle school witchy girl and just say, "Sell this lemonade, or I will tell everyone about the mole on your butt..."

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the school fundraisers here bother me a lot. Our schools have told the kids that they don't want them going door to door on the streets. It might be dangerous, or maybe they've gotten complaints. I don't know. But when it did happen, we live in a neighborhood full of kids and you can't buy all of their stuff.

But because of this policy, kids can pretty much only turn to family and people they know.

What happens is that the fundraiser gets taken to work, if the parent is so inclined. The parent might not be inclined because they are very bothered by people at work approaching them to buy something for their kid. But some offices are great places for this, and moms are far more likely to do this than dads. And some families are quite affluent and large. Mommy takes it to work and calls all the relatives to help out. Mommy also buys. So a LOT gets sold, and little Sally doesn't have to do a thing while selling 100. Meanwhile, little Jill who carefully plotted out the people she knew on her street but didn't call family because no one in her family really has a lot of money and she's embarrassed to ask - she put in a lot more work and perhaps desire into it. Jill also has two siblings doing the same fundraiser, and they must split the take. Two sell one, and mom buys another so that all have sold at least one item. That is real life, and pretty much exactly what happens to our family.

Jill gets disppointed, and Sally (who probably didn't need yet another cool thing) gets the prize.

Our how about the fact that I think our PTA pretty much uses 75% of its fundraising to advertize its fundraising and pay for candy for silly things like the kids walking to school on a certain day or giving a party for which class participated the most in something or another. The budget I was given for Red Ribbon Week was suprisingly large and I was told to find a way to use it. I didn't.

[ January 30, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.