FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Please help! Car Trouble

Author Topic: Please help! Car Trouble
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so upset right now, I can't afford either a new vehicle or a heavy repair bill. We just spent over $3000 on Wes' truck, not to mention what we've spent on my tuition. I have NO money to spare, and yet I can't be without my van, it's the only vehicle we have besides the work trucks, which for obvious reasons aren't family vehicles.

My transmission doesn't work. It quit on the way home, I was lucky that when it finally quit altogether I was turning into our subdivision and my house is at the bottom of the hill.

On the way home it was not shifting properly - the RPMS would get way high before it would shift into the next gear, and the engine began to overheat. I was on the interstate, didn't want to pull over, and then to make my day complete, Daniel threw up all over himself and his car seat. So...I was trying to get him home ASAP, and I just kept driving and praying I'd make it.

So...it wasn't shifting at the proper times, it was shifting in a really jerky way when it did, and then it quit shifting altogether. The engine runs fine - I can start it up no problem but when I shift out of park into reverse, or drive I may as well have it in neutral. It doesn't go anywhere.

If you tell me I need a new transmission I'm just going to lock myself in my room and cry. Please let it be something cheap and easy to fix.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*prays for Belle* I know nothing about cars, but you have my sympathy. (((hugs)))
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll ask my friend who is a mechanic about this, Belle, but it doesn't sound encouraging. Sorry you're having to experience this.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
We had something like this happen to my parents' '96 Caravan. I'm not sure what the problem was, but I seem to recall it being kinda expensive. I hope your van doesn't have the same problem. [Frown]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The transmission fluid filter is clogged, or one of the lines got crimped.

The transmission fluid level is low. Possibly from not checking often enough.
Possibly from a broken line or a blown transmission gasket. (BTW Overfilling is a no-no)

Somebody put in a fluid that wasn't meant for the transmission, mistakenly thinking they were filling the windshield wiper fluid / radiator fluid / oil reservoir.

Problem with the electrical controls for the transmission.

The gear shift linkage is out of adjustment or damaged.

Problem with the torque converter or flex plate.

Transmission's parking pawl is now stuck.

Transmission needs major surgery or has gone bye-bye.

[ January 22, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
How old is your van?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle,

I had this happen with a transmission that was leaking. It basically ran low on fluid (as mentioned above). Dumping more fluid in a was a temporary fix.

My advice is NOT to get the transmission rebuilt. Sad to say, I've never had this work out to be an economic plus. They talk you into lifetime warranties, etc. A well-repaired transmission should last a long, long time. So, why pay extra for a warranty? But! If you don't buy the lifetime warranty, they seem to always break down again soon. Like they just screw around with it.

There is an alternative. Get a shade-tree mechanic to get you a complete transmission from a junk yard and have him/her install it. If it works for awhile, you're okay.

Plan on dumping the car soon.

Seriously. Transmission trouble is, in my experience, a good sign that the car should be given a fond fairwell.

Unless you know/live with a mechanic who can do this stuff for you.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Wes wants to get a new one, but darn it to heck, I can't stand the thought of another car payment! We've only just gotten used to having this one paid for. [Frown]

It's a 2000, but we bought it in 1999, and it's got 140,000 miles on it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. So it isn't under warranty anymore. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well, looks like we may be getting something new. The dealer where we bought this one has a 2004 minivan with low mileage that is half the cost of buying a new one....and it looks like the replacement cost on the transmission, according to our mechanic, is going to be more than the van is worth.

So....I think we're going to go look at this used van and see what we can do.

I'm pissed. I had hoped I could keep this thing running until I finished school, and then when I got a job I could get something nice. I guess I still can...but I'm frustrated. I don't want another car payment.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks. My family had a Hallmark card on the fridge for a while... it had a frizzy-looking woman sitting in her living room, opening her mail while the cat and dog watch. She says, "Look! I just got a little extra money!" and in the background, her car and all of her appliances start plotting their imminent demise.

You know, I'm still relatively new to the car-buying experience, but all three of the cars I've had were purchased used from trusted mechanics, rather than dealers, and they've been three of the most reliable cars I've ever seen. Whereas everyone I've known who has bought a car new or from a dealer has had nothing but trouble. Of course, Mark and I also have a bias for Volvos, so that might have something to do with it.

But yeah, buying a used car from a trusted mechanic.... they're so cheap that way, and you go into it knowing exactly what the car's history is, and what you can expect out of it. No surprises as it's "broken in".

[ January 24, 2005, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Zeugma ]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry Belle. I hope that the van you found works out well for you. It sounds like a little bit of a blessing in the midst of the trouble.

I know kinda how you're feeling. The last couple weeks have had me eying car ads a lot too (we've now replaced everything in the cooling system in my truck, due to leaks). For me, hopefully the end of year (after we refinance the house to get rid of the PMI), we can start looking seriously at getting me a new vehicle.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I now own a 2004 GMC Safari 8 passenger van.

It's not as nice as my Montana is/was, as far as features go, but it runs. And it has a CD player which is the only luxury I just can't live without.

Less than 20,000 miles, and the price was right. Way right - the dealer came down off the quoted price even, so it's less than half what it would cost for a new Montana. Didn't get as good a rate as we wanted, though that's typical for used cars.

So, deal is I drive this until I'm out of school, at which time, when I get a job, I can get something nice. It's not the vehicle I wanted, but I'm a poor college student right now. [Wink]

We didn't trade in the Montana, they were only going to give us $500 for it in present condition. We're going to wait a few months, save up some money for the transmission repair and put a used transmission in it. That way we'll have a backup, running vehicle that can do in an emergency pinch when one of our others goes down. Plus, it's sturdy enough to be a light work vehicle for Wes, he can't haul pipe in it or anything, or his heavy equipment, but it will do for service calls. Since we're thinking of hiring someone to do nothing but service, we may turn it into a work vehicle. At the very worst, we can sell it after we fix it for more than the $500 trade-in value.

*shrug* I'm not happy, but it's the best solution for us, all things considered. And while it's not got many bells and whistles, it's a good, solid reliable vehicle that will haul all our kids and the stuff that comes with them.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.