FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Canadians (and hockey fans) UNTIE!

Author Topic: Canadians (and hockey fans) UNTIE!
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
interesting story...and another dobie.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Hm...here's another article on this subject that's not as snarky. It's very interesting actually. I'm still confused though, did Canada legalize gay marriage or not?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
That's, um, an interesting web site . . .

[Angst]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Smile] I know. I just used the article because it mentioned hockey, untying and Canadians in less than 2 paragraphs.

I sacrifice everything for the dobie.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
From the second link:

quote:
"We certainly support same-sex marriages and logically what flows from that are divorces," he said.
Oh my gosh. [Roll Eyes] That is so lovely.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I know, I saw that....
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Your news is outdated. The Canadian divorce law was declared unconstitutional recently, and those two women were allowed to divorce.

I recall that their lawyer commented, "Gay marriage is here to stay."

I still haven't figured out what he meant by it.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
d_h,
One of my first thoughts when i heard that gay marriage had been legalized in Mass. was "Oh, good, now they can divorce." It seems strange, but I know so many couples who ended their relationships uncleanly. For many, the purchase of a home together was their way of being legally tied. Yet, if they broke up, it was always a mess.
So, I understand that statement.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
In my mind, divorce is the ultimate failure of a marriage. It's an aberration, and the relaxing of divorce laws were one of the worst things that has happened to our society in recent years.

This whole "gay divorce" thing is just more proof to me that the entire gay "marriage" thing is just a sad, morbid parody of real marriage.

[ January 17, 2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
That gay marriages have the same problems as non-gay marriages convinces you gay marriage is a parody of non-gay marriage?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Hey Narnia, look. See? I told you it would work. [Wink]
Narnia
Member # 1071

You're just trying to turn my innocent dobie into a gay marriage thread!!
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Looks like I succeeded to me. [Evil Laugh]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You did indeed.

quote:
It's an aberration, and the relaxing of divorce laws were one of the worst things that has happened to our society in recent years.

You know, when divorce was taboo and frowned upon, lots of people were stuck in unhappy marriages. You're idealizing the past.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why people are so amused at the idea that gay divorce would follow from allowing gay marriage. Did you think that homosexuals were naturally smarter or more blissful than heterosexuals? Do you suppose homosexual couples never break up? If they're going to be allowed to get married, they must be allowed to divorce.

Now, I agree that divorce is a bad thing, and the increase of it in our society must be reversed. But the solution is not to make divorce harder to achieve. The solution is to make marriage harder to achieve. Obviously it is not the cause of all divorces, but I am convinced that most divorces are caused by getting married too soon. If people are forbidden to get married until they've had plenty of time to get to know each other first, then they'll be more likely to figure out whether they really do belong together. If things go sour and they break up, at least they haven't gotten married yet.

[ January 17, 2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
The solution is to make marriage harder to achieve.
THANK YOU!

(Or, alternatively, to somehow make civil marriages more "weighty," so people are clear that it's A Big Deal.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the idea of the weight of marriages, but I have no idea how such a thing could be accomplished.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a mandatory waiting period would be a good start. Say, once you apply for your license, you cannot actually get married for at least a year. More time than that would be even better, but would feel too oppressive to some and would not be tolerated for long.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I'm not sure either. Most of my off-the-cuff ideas pretty much amount to making divorce harder (which I confess I support when there are children involved, but that's a tangential subject). Perhaps the state could somehow make some sort of committment assessment and then decide whether or not to issue a marriage license [Razz]

Seriously, though, I think the answer probably lies somewhere in our income and estate tax laws...

Edit: Heck, even a few months would stop Vegas-style impromptu weddings.

[ January 17, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think a mandatory waiting period would be a good start. Say, once you apply for your license, you cannot actually get married for at least a year. More time than that would be even better, but would feel too oppressive to some and would not be tolerated for long.
Noooooo! If that were the case, Fahim and I wouldn't have been able to get married until August 2004. Forget it!

Just because some people split up shortly after they get married is no reason to make it more difficult for everyone else to get married.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Isn't that how some states deal with gun control? An application and then a waiting period?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.