FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is it about unicorns...

Author Topic: What is it about unicorns...
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually a serious question. [Smile]

What is fascinating to preteen girls about horses? Why are unicorns, of all potential mythical beasts, so totally cool?

I've heard a theory that it's a sort of proto-sexuality. There's something attractively masculine in a horse that's safer than a man, but still fulfills the same... purpose?

What do you all think?

Oh, and a link just to top things off... a majestic unicorn!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nahhh - horses are perfect all on their very own. But add a little magic - or heck, what about Pegasus wings? - and perfection just upped itself a notch.

Some repressed person came up with the "proto" theory, I'm sure . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. But I was definitely a fan. Ahh..."The Last Unicorn". :-)
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ugly one-horned mule...
Ahh, that line alone redeemed that movie.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Ariel, by S. Boyett.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play a unicorn/princess game, which was a make-believe in which my two friends and I were unicorn princesses and "flew" (read: galloped while flapping our arms) across the playground after school. Looking back, there were many things entwined in this game; the age-old playing at being noble-born and scattering largess to the populace, the existance and possession of the ability to fly and work magic, and also a sort of mysticism; we played at calling the sun into the sky and putting it to bed, awakening the flowers and the sea, and healing the sick and wounded. We also battled the evil witch who liked to take us captive in her lair (we took turns being the witch, the captive, and the sister who came to rescue the captive and battle the witch). I think the reason I liked it so much was the archetypical elements. Taking the form of the unicorn provided a safe way for us to free ourselves from the constraints of being human. If we were human, in our community and with our upbringing, we had to believe in the Judeo-Christian God or at least something like him, and so could not worship the sun, moon, and earth. (We didn't really want to, but pretending to do so provided a connection with the mythical past we had been reading about.) If we were human, we were limited by the things humans can do; even the most powerful sorcerer is limited by some rules, and there comes a point where his powers are unbelievable, and it's just "not fair" for him to be able to do something. A unicorn, however, can possess all the powers we dream of having without constraint or limit.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool
I think I like dragons a bit better, but the Unicorn tapestry is heart breaking.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. My friends and I just pretended we were Ghostbusters or Ninja Turtles. Our underlying psychological inspiration for the games at which we played was . . . uh . . . we liked the Ghostbusters and the Ninja Turtles.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragons have pretty much the same ability to take on any power or character you want, but (in most cases) with a more malevolent twist. (I've heard of evil or brutish unicorns, but they're not what little girls think of when they think of them.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Verily, during the same period of time (I was 8-11, my friends two years younger), my friends and I wrote simplified adaptations of some of the plays of Shakespeare and made everyone act in them. So we did the same kind of thing. Kinda. [Big Grin]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can't say we ever wrote out any scripts. We much preferred an improvisational style. (Which is a highfalutin way of saying we were pretty much just children playing a game, and making it all up as we went along.)
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

All I was saying was that we took characters that resonated with us and adapted their stories to be ours, just like you. [Smile] (We missed most of the innuendo, and ended up doing a lot of improv, as well. Although we tried to keep the improv in "make believe" games where it belonged, and got very grumpy when our actors tried to do it in plays we wrote "from scratch". Did I mention we grew up in a community where half an hour or less of tv per day was the norm?)
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, ketchupqueen. We did some intense make-believe too, but that's one that didn't occur to us - not quite in those terms. I'm a little sad I'm too old to try that one out. [Frown]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean I'm supposed to grow out of this horse thing at some point? I think i'm going backwards, growing into it instead of out. I didn't even play horsey as a kid, not till fifth grade or so. Then i was galloping everywere.

I don't really like unicorns. Pegusus(es?) I find fascinating, but do ALL of the cool fantasy horses have to be white? I don't like white horses.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've wondered the same thing. I don't get it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously you haven't seen disney's fantasia.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that addressed to me? Because yes, I have, many times.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
In elementary school, our make believe was that we were botanists exploring other planets. Then the boys tried to plant bombs to blow them up and we'd have to run like heck [Smile]

And earlier than that, we were dinosaurs which would duel, running four-leggedly into each other on the living room floor... ah, the good ole days.

I did go through a unicorn-drawing period in middle school, though I usually drew them blue or green.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
It was adressed to kwsni, but whatever.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

My friends and I started by playing horses, and the horses got more mythical from there. At the beginning of recess, we'd tell each other what we looked like, and then we'd gallop around the playground for an hour. Sometimes we'd be a maroon horse with a blue sparkly mane, sometimes a palomino with golden hooves. Personally, I was always a unicorn-pegasus with a golden horn and golden hooves and hair made of thin strands of gold. I figured no one could beat that for grandeur.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Annie, you did grow up in the My Little Pony era, didn't you?

We played horses as well, but it was "Black Stallion" based.

And Myr, your games remind me of "The Watsons Go to Birnimgham," when they played dinosaurs, and one mean kids said "Let's bury them," then he came back at night and stole them all.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood the unicorn appeal. I was into centaurs with pegasus wings or plain old horses, once I figured out how to draw the faces.
P.S. For group play the game that stands out is "movie break" where we'd pretend we were watching a film (of Uchiha Itachi running around the front yard.) Then he would go off screen and this was movie break. Then we'd pretend we could step into the movie screen but then it was "un-movie break" and the monster would come out and chase us until we screamed "movie break" again. For three children with a combined IQ of 500, it was a really stupid game.

[ January 17, 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Black Beauty was my favorite girlhood story.

*Sigh*

(Edited to add: About horses, that is . . . )

[ January 17, 2005, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

kwsni
Member # 1831

MEC, i have, and that sequence is one of my favorites becasue there are pegususes of different colors, but that's an exception to the rule.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

I STILL love My Little Pony! I got one for my birthday two weeks ago even. (Mostly because I was a little unnerved by turning 20, and my family was making fun of me.) The Movie was the best. Oh, and what about Lady Lovely Locks? My sister and I would go to Church on Sundays pretending like we were riding our horses. I was always Lady Lovely Locks, and I got to ride the beautiful Silky Mane. Those were the days.

We played horses a lot at YMCA camp too. We would start making lanyards, leave the strings reeeally long, and then have one person be the horse and put the "bit" in their mouth, and then we'd run around all over the place.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
In elementary school, our make believe was that we were botanists exploring other planets. Then the boys tried to plant bombs to blow them up and we'd have to run like heck
Hey, we used to play that we were fighting the "Evil Vet" who kidnapped innocent puppies, kittens, and bunnies and sent them to animal research firms-- on the moons of Jupiter! That was a fun game, too. [Smile]
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I want that T-shirt.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
The combination of going to church and horses makes me think of Lady Godiva for some reason. Was the horse = freedom from male constraints on femaleness pre Lady Godiva or not?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I would love to figure out the appeal of My Little Ponies, which are my daughter's current obsession. I think her "perfect equine" would be a pink and puple unicorn with Pegasus wings and a golden horn ( with extra long mane and tail for styling). I completely don't get it.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was never into horses and never really played them. As a result, unicorn games and toy unicorns were things other girls did and had. I had orphanages, schools and tiny villages on steep mountainsides and lego adventures in the land of the Big People but no unicorns and no horses.

I don't know why this was. I was supremely influenced by my brother, who is of course not interested in unicorns and horses, so there's that. Also, I was just not in the unicorn/horse group. I remember other people had horse-riding parties and lessons (some of which I attended) but I never did.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CookieMonster
Member # 7238

- posted      Profile for CookieMonster           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate unicorns. UNICORNS!!! BAD!!!! [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst]
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always preferred Ligers myself.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chveya
Member # 2623

- posted      Profile for Chveya           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't want to be or have a horse when I was little.... I wanted to be a velociraptor. I thought they were cute. [Big Grin]

My brother asked me once if I knew any 'crazy horse girls'- fat twelve year olds who draw pictures of their imaginary horses all day becuase they have no friends. (He can be rather mean...)

Posts: 60 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

But did you have a pegasus xing sign on your bedroom door, Solo? [ROFL]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, here it is. Confessional moment.

I had the hots for Aslan. Big time.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's the magic and purity of them that appeals. It's not so much the images. It's the concept. The idea that a supernatural creature with mystical abilities would ally itself, be my beloved companion, and defend me against all comers is nearly irresistable. Personally, I think it's this appeal that *makes* Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series. They aren't unicorns, but they might as well be.

I don't know why all girls love horses, but I'm just as prey to the romanticism of horses -- the reality is sad by comparison, since the few times I've ridden were distinctly unromantic.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I like how sweaty horses smell. [Smile]
kwsni
Member # 1831

I like how they smell in general. Even when they're muddy and filthy, they still smell good. I don't even mind smelling like a horse.

Riding is another matter. Hopping on somebody else's horse when you've never ridden before: Not fun. Riding a horse you know, or you trained, or you own or you bred: Heaven.

Ni!

[ January 17, 2005, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
oh my gawd I MUST have that shirt!!!!

My unicorn collection was started rather reluctantly. My grandmother seemed to believe that I had to have unicorns at my age and began to shower me with them. I figured it was easier to accept them quietly and "lose" them later. then the rest of the family joined in on the action, saying "oh, Jenn has a collection..." About 5 years later I finally got "into" them. Now they're in every room of the house (except the bathroom so far).

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, the same thing happened with my Gran, only with Ballet-related things. All of a sudden, every present was about Ballet!

(I was a dancer back then, though)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

I've decided that horses will stay in the barn. I will not decorate my house with horses. My roomates have all this western stuff that while I think it's kinda cool, I would never buy.

Ni!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Goody, be careful, or your house will end up looking like the woman's in "Dodgeball."
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
never thought I'd say this, but.... adding Dodgeball to my Netflix list... I gotta see this house!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It is a pretty bad movie, but I did laugh quite a bit.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood."

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to have an elephant when I was a kid. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I never played unicorns, but I have collected them for as long as I can remember.

My dad is in the military and everytime he would have to go away for summer camp or anything else he would bring me home a unicorn. I thought it was great.

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.