FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » a hairbrained idea involving books! - *having to pass this off* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: a hairbrained idea involving books! - *having to pass this off*
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my idea:

Well, actually, here's the background on my idea:
I've been buying books like there's no tomorrow for the past few years, because I've been blowing through them and have a real hard time with library due dates for some reason. This also makes it hard for me to move.

So, I think we should make a Hatrack "Book Circle." Here's how it works:

Everyone picks their favorite book (preferably one that's not notorious in these parts, not part of the general consciouness) and mails it to an appointed person. Everyone involved mails it to someone else, and they eventually come around to a circle. After a couple weeks, or whatever a resonable reading time is, we all mail again.

You'd have to use a copy that you wouldn't mind losing in the mail somewhere - maybe even buy an inexpensive used paperback that you can stand parting with.

This way, we get new books, and they pass the initial filter of being something well-beloved by a fellow Hatracker!

To avoid duplicates, we could require a sign-up email with the intended book title on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Anyone think this idea is doable?

[ February 07, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that idea! *signs herself up*

edit: I hope y'all don't mind reading Danielle Steel [Big Grin]

[ January 13, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Being required to read it within a certain span of time would put too much pressure on me -- I don't need another chore.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be awesome. If it happens, I'm in.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always trying to find people to give my books away to. My only criteria is that they go to someone who will appreciate them. So yeah count me in! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

That sounds cool, Adam. I was all up for being the ringleader, but was thinking of using my meager paper-and-pen organizational skills. If you've got wicked database skillz, all the better.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you set it up so that the reader returns the book (when they finish it so there is no time constraint) to the person who bought it (who then sends it to another person)? Does that make it too weird and uneven? Could we request a specific book (to be sent to us)? Maybe people could opt to supply multiple books?

I guess that makes it more like Hatrack spiders than a Hatrack circle.

Oh yeah, I think this would be cool and want to try it. [Smile]

[ January 13, 2005, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Maybe we should have all interested parties email me at blueroosterdesign AT googlemail-without-the-oogle DOT com.

I don't suppose you have to know your book title yet, but if you want first dibs, go right ahead.

Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my dilemma. I have like three tons of books that I have bought but not yet read. However, this sounds like way too much fun to pass up. I'm so torn! Maybe if we take ludosti's idea? Or modify it - when someone's finished, they could post/e-mail the group/whatever, and then pass their book along to another person who is done? That way if someone's got a full schedule one month, or if one of the books is a lot longer or shorter than the others, it won't be so much of a problem. Would that work?
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT A NEAT IDEA!
I want everyone to read Nausicaa!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

And how about this - if you get a book you've already read, you have to write an essay on it!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd do that.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so in! Wonderful idea!

I think two weeks would give us enough time to at least decide if we'd want to read the book in the future. If you aren't done in time, you can always just run to the local library and check it out if you were enjoying it. No pressure to finish quickly, just a nice way to try out lots of books!

[ January 13, 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Lucky4 ]

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The modifications might work, Vana, but I kind of want to be able to have the book you get be entirely out of your control. I want to have to read something that I wouldn't have picked by myself.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to practice writing essays anyway.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

Oh, I'm not suggesting we pick the book we get next! Just that it's looser on the times - whoever's done first can pass their books on first, and the slower/busier ones or people with longer/harder books still have time to finish. Maybe if we e-mailed you when we were done, instead of posting?

See, this makes sense in my head. Let me try to explain better.

Say A, B, C, D, and E are all in the circle. B finishes her book first, and e-mails you to say as much. The next day, E says that he's finished. So B would send her book to E. Soon C is done, and E sends his book to C. So you basically just send it to the next person in the line who's ready for a new book.

Is that a better explaination of what I'm thinking?

[ January 13, 2005, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
That seems like a good idea... except most of my books are in Romanian!! [Frown] Lemme see though... In English I have:

- Herman Melville's "Moby Dick"
- Gregory Benford's "Timescape"
- Card's "Children of the Mind", "Ender's Shadow", "Shadow of the Heggemon" & "Shadow Puppets"
- Haldeman's "Forever War", "Forever Peace" & "Forever Free"
- Clarke's "Rama II", "Gardens of Rama" & "Rama Revealed"

I also have some SF books in French ("Blade Runner 2" by K.W. Jeter comes to mind) and volumes 2 to 10 of Zelazny's "Amber" series also in French. Most of them are at home in Romania though. And I'd have to send them from Europe. Great... I don't know, I'd really like this idea to come to life, but I probably couldn't be a part of it for some time... Drat...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

You could always see if you could find a cheap used version of one of your favorite books that's still at home, Corwin.

And that makes more sense now, Vana. [Smile] I was reading all silly.

I've gotta run for a couple hours, but email me if you're interested so I can start to work out logistics [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a great idea, Annie, but i am terrible about sending things. I just sent people stuff i told them about five or six months ago. If i could do it on a no-pressure basis, it would be great.

Edit: A friend of mine and I did a book exchange, and I still have a box of books I never returned. Ten years.
(hangs head in shame)

[ January 13, 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Hobbes, look away!

Annie [Kiss] Corwin

Yeah, didn't think of that! The thing is that I have to locate a used book store that has English versions, which isn't very easy here... There are a lot of "independent" book sellers every Sunday along the Rhone, but I think all the books are in French. I'll give it a try though, if not this weekend then the next.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like fun! I'll need to find a supplier of used books in Tempe, though.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Shigosei!

Olde Towne Books. (I think, I will have to ask my dad.) The owner is an ASU history professor and one of our dearest family friends. Funny, I was thinking about telling you to go and meet him when i saw you live in Tempe.

He is more into really old and rare books, but you should go anyway. Please.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Shigosei- There's a place called Changing Hands. It's on the corner of McClintock & Guadalupe in Tempe. To get there on the bus, you would go to the bus stop on College and take the 81 southbound. The bookstore is in the same shopping center as Trader Joe's.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Or you could just send all your French books to me, I'll swap them out for English ones and keep the French ones. Wait... that doesn't do much for limiting my stockpile of books, does it?

*has fond memories of shopping in Lyon along the Rhone*

*has fonder memories of eating in Lyon*

Annie
Member # 295

Oh, I forgot you were in Tempe, Shigosei. My very very best friend just left to be a missionary there. If you ever by chance meet a female Mormon missionary named Sister Cronkhite, stop and talk to her for hours. She's fabulous.
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we can utilize book crossing to keep track of where the books are?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to be involved, but I just don't think i'd be able to keep up with the commitment of reading all the books. And I'd feel bad.

But I think it's a really neat idea.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

Also, if anyone's interested in a one time book exchange, that might be neat, also.

You could list your "inactive" books--the things you're not reading now, and see who might be interested in a swap or donation.

I have many many many many books I could volunteer.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth and Derrell: excellent. I'll try to make it out to those places sometime. Thanks for the tip.

Annie, I don't really see missionaries around here. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to knock on dorm room doors. But if I do happen to meet her, I'll stop and chat.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Old Town Books (I was right!)
518 South Mill Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85282, 480-968-9881, Used, out-of-print, old, and interesting books, including books on Arizona, Western Americana, and sporting books, are available at this book store .

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds awesome. I haven't read the thread carefully enough (we have 6-year-old twin boys staying with us) - who is going to organize this? I have tons of books that I would love people to read.

I'll read the rules more carefully later, but put my name on the list.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

I'm also wondering, I don't have a ton of books at college with me and what I have that I could send consists of some really random stuff I haven't gotten around to reading yet. Would it be ok to send that? The books sound interesting, but right now when I'm in the mood to read I don't want to read something that requires thought. So I don't actually know if they're any good. I think hatrackers would at least enjoy looking them over, though.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
count me in as well!

My $0.02 - I think that the best way to do it would be the spider route, where we send the books back to their owners after finishing them.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
just for my own benefit, should it be harebrained or hairbrained?
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Put me on the list, and e-mail out the rules. I love random books.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, one would be the brain of a bunny. The other would be like a hairshirt, but in your head.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
just for edification porpoises..

quote:
Usage Note: The first use of harebrained dates to 1548. The spelling hairbrained also has a long history, going back to the 1500s when hair was a variant spelling of hare. The hair variant was preserved in Scotland into the 18th century, and as a result it is impossible to tell exactly when people began writing hairbrained in the belief that the word means “having a hair-sized brain” rather than “with no more sense than a hare.” While hairbrained continues to be used and confused, it should be avoided in favor of harebrained which has been established as the correct spelling.
I sent you email, rivka.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
poor Strider has way too many books on his reading list right now...as do i, but i'm bad at keeping to my reading list.

So sign me up!!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonny, received and replied.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

It might take a little longer for the books to get to me (and back to the US) though...

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in...I hope some people like reading Fantasy here, it is just about all I have, unless I raid Jenni's trashy romance novels.

Of course you don't even have to read those, they are all the same... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I could be in if you don't mind to spend a little money on the mail [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Bumpity bump bump bump.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh - I forgot. [Blushing]

Let me get this organized and update you all later today.

Vána
Member # 6593

Haha! So cute. You're forgiven.

I was just thinking of this last night, actually. I'm excited!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Me too.
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I like the idea, but I don't like the idea of writting an essay. What if we get a book that we can't read (because of images that get put in our head) or for other reasons?
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so excited! Syn already sent me Nausicaa, and I loved it. I want to play, pretty please?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Bumpity bump bump bump.

Annie
Member # 295

Heh. Annie has no brain.

OK - I'M OFFICIALLY STARTING THIS

Everyone who wants to sign up, send your name and mailing address to me at blueroosterdesign AT googlemail-without-the-oogle DOT com. You have until Wednesday Feb. 2 to sign up - after I have all the participants listed, I will organize and give further instructions. [Smile]

(thanks for the bump!)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.