FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My back hurts :(

Author Topic: My back hurts :(
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been bothering me for the last week or so, but today it's worse. I've ransacked my room looking for my ibprophen but it's nowhere to be found. All I can do is lay flat on my back to make it feel better.

It's weird; this has happened before but usually I can pinpoint it to something (like, having to many books in my backpack and stretching it in a weird position while I'm twisting to put the bag on), but I really can't think of what I might have done to it. It started bothering me only a little a week ago, before the backpack excuse could have come into effect.

[Frown]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine had a cyst in his back that bothered him for quite a while before he could figure out what it was. He spent a lot of time soaking in the bathtub.

I'm not saying that's what you have, but it might be something to think about...

Or you could get more painkillers. That works, too. [Razz]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Take it from someone who's had two laminectomies, lying on your back is not a solution.

BTW the old "a firm mattress is better" has also been discounted. A medium mattress is better.

I would have to say that of the people I know with back trouble, exercise of some sort is the best solution. For a lot of people it's walking. You gotta get moving. That's what I do.

My cousin has been standing on one leg as exercise. And some physical therapists have people bounce a ball while standing on one leg.

And if it doesn't clear up, see a doctor AND a chiropracter.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, right off, my mattress is terrible. But I've been using it for months (since I moved into my apartment), and as a whole, I don't sleep very well on it, but I don't know if my backache is directly related to it. I keep meaning to get eggshell foam to put on top of it to try and help.

And since school's started back up again, I've been walking a lot. I've even made a resolution to climb more stairs than I did last semester. I also usually play DDR for aerobics, but I can't do it while my back's bothering me.

I've never started out with little pain turning into big pain, it's usually the other way around. So whatever's wrong, I don't know if it's healing. So I might have to make time to get it checked out before too long. >.<

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
I tell you what, I have a severe case of scoliosis in my back and was doing pretty good with dealing with the pain until recently...I was just diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis of the lower back... (not fun and if you look it up its something that is most common in people over 50-- I'm 29!)

My doctor recommended to me Moist heat (hot baths are great, or letting the water hit your sore area in the shower for a few mins) and Ibuprofin for the pain... (I have since been put on Celebrex for the pain though, the ibu 400's weren't doing the trick...lol)

I would suggest try to alleviate the pain for a couple days and if it doesn't subside go to the doctor and see if he suggests any tests or x-rays... (mine did an MRI and X-rays) hopefully its nothing too bad ...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Poor muppet. *pats hair*
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
You should probably see a chiropractor, Ashley. When you have a back problem and don't do anything about it, you train your muscles to tighten around the problem area so it eventually hurts less but doesn't get any better. If it's a good chiropractor, he'll give you exercises to do to prevent the problem from re-occuring.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.