FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the best way to translate a web site into English?

Author Topic: What's the best way to translate a web site into English?
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
How do I go about translating web sites from Japanese into English? [Dont Know] [Confused]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find it on Google, it has an automatic translation doodad.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Learn Japanese.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
hire a translator.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
WheatPuppet- Thanks for reminding me of that. The only problem is that not all of the page got translated.

Porter- I plan to learn the language, but that takes time.

Kama- are you going to pay the translator? [Razz] I'm too broke to pay one.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Learning the language is the only reliable way. Automatic translators can give you a vague idea of the content at best.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

If you learn the language, you aren't translating it anymore [Wink] .
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
If you learn the language, you aren't translating it anymore
Don't tell my boss that [Angst]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

You wouldn't be translating it for you, (This is depending on how well you actually learned the language.) you still can translate things for others, but this is mostly refered to as interpreting.
Kama
Member # 3022

No, interpreting is oral. Translation is written.

<-- has M.A in translation [Razz]

raventh1
Member # 3750

yet you can still interpret something that is written for someone else.
Kama
Member # 3022

Only if they pay me double.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no good way to translate without having a person do it for you. So unless this is of such dire importance that you need someone to do that for you, I suggest just letting it go or saving it until you know enough to read it.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.