FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If I were a doctor (tsunami help thread)

Author Topic: If I were a doctor (tsunami help thread)
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The chef/owner of a local Sri Lanken restaurant is putting together a team of volunteers to go help out with disaster relief. He will provide food and lodging in his family home in Sri Lanka, volunteers must cover their own airfare. It's a month-long commitment, and he is particularly looking for doctors/nurses/other medical professionals.

Just thought it sounded neat. [Smile]

[ January 06, 2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this idea. [Smile]

I wish that Engineers Without Borders was contributing to the relief effort, too. ...though maybe it's for the best. I feel bad enough that I'm taking off to New Zealand next month anyway (of course, the badness is largely mitigated by the excitement of adventuring).

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmm, yes, that would seem to be another much-needed specialty.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were .

Sorry, couldn't resist. It was bugging me.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ya know, I was just re-reading that and wondering if anyone would say anything. [Smile] I'll change it, so it doesn't bug you. [Wink]
beverly
Member # 6246

The funny thing is I grew up using "If I was" all the time. Never sounded wrong to me. But Porter brought to my attention that it was incorrect, and now I can't ever remember thinking differently. [Smile]

It now bugs me every time I hear the Thompson Twins song, "If I Was King For Just One Day". [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Using 'that' to refer to a person also bugs me. "He was the one that..." no! no! no! "He was the one WHO!"

We have 'who' and 'whom' for a REASON!

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I often say that one wrong. [Frown]
twinky
Member # 693

I do it myself. I hear it that way on newscasts and stuff all the time, and it's creeping into my head...
ElJay
Member # 6358

Creeping Into Your Head would be a good name for a band. Or a book. Or a song. Or something.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure why he wants nurses and doctors. They need specialized equipment that he probably can't provide, unless his trip is part of an overall effort of a larger organization that can get medical supplies.

Great idea, though.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*shrug* It was a short blurb in the restaurant section of today's newspaper, so I don't really know.
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Creeping Into Your Head would be a good name for a band. Or a book. Or a song. Or something.

Hm. Yeah. *ponders*
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
So send it to Dave Barry. He might come back.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
(Relating to the original thread)

I have actually been wondering if there was a need for manpower of any kind to help out with the tsunami disaster. I'm really financially strapped, but I have some frequent flyer miles, and I don't have a regular job right now, so I could easily go over to help. That would be less of a burden to me than sending cash.

Unfortunately, I'm not a doctor.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay, any idea the name of the restaurant or the name of the guy? I'm curious if I know him.

Glenn Arnold - and anyone else who's interested - go to my page on the tsunami. I have a list of Sri Lankan charitable organizations. No, I have not and cannot validate the legitimacy of these organizations - I know of no government agency that does such, and given widespread government corruption, I wouldn't likely trust them anyway, so no, I do NOT recommend donating any money or goods to them. However, manpower is something completely different. Contact them and see if there's anything you can do if that's what you're interested in.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I've been doing a little looking, and one thing I found is this:

http://www.clarkefoundation.org/

This is Arthur C. Clarke's website. He lists several organizations that he considers reputable.

There's also a picture of some sort of false color image of the tsunami, but it isn't captioned, and I wish I knew just what data it represents. But it's a cool picture.

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching CNN today and there was a story about a man who went over there (Campbell, I don't remember his first name) and was put to work immediately. From what I could gather (I wasn't really watching, Chuck had it on and I was reading), he wasn't a medical person or anything, just a healthy willing person.

So, Glenn Arnold, I'm sure they have a use for you.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Arthur Clarke is still alive? Dude, he must be over 100!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.