FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ashlee Simpson

Author Topic: Ashlee Simpson
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
So, ignoring the football for a moment, last night at the Orange Bowl, Ashlee Simpson got on stage and, well, attempted to perform. She got booed off the stage.

Here's my question. You're organizing a football event. Given the demographics, and who the target audience of your sport is, your reason for putting ashlee simpson on stage HAS to be sex appeal. How many college football fans anxious enough to go see the Orange Bowl, are also Ashlee Simpson fans? The demographics just don't overlap.

So, given you are putting Ashlee Simpson on stage for her sex appeal... whats the point? A live performance at a football game isn't going to get anyone horny, and, frankly, the adrenaline is likely to be going. Don't you want to keep the excitement UP? Shouldn't you be going with someone who's proven themselves live? And shouldn't the performer be someone that at least overlaps demographically?

Ashlee Simpson's singing career appears over. She lip-synched saturday night live, and blamed the band, and got booed off the stage at the Orange Bowl. Who is going to take a risk on her now? Milli Vanilli lasted about 3 minutes after it was discovered they were lip syching.

Good riddance. We need more real talent in the entertainment industry.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think U2 would have been a good choice!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I think almost any rock band would be better than Ashlee, even Def Lepard would have gone over better.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the U2 video.

I don't think Ashlee Simpson's career is over, yet. She was lip-synching at SNL, but not on all her recordings and performances. I mean, did you notice during halftime when she and the band got off each other's beat? It's hard to lipsynch wrong [Smile]

Unfortunately, I think the "I don't want to be pop" pop music will be around for a little while longer. But not forever, hopefully.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that I've seen some pretty crappy performances in my life, but man did she suck. To quote the wise sage Homer Simpson (no relation to Ashlee,) she was the suckiest suck who ever sucked. Speaking of non-crossing demographics, how in the world did she and Trace Adkins appear on the same stage?
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to marching bands? Why aren't they center stage any more? (Even if all the USC band does is play their fight song...)

*sigh*

Edit: I think that at something like a football bowl game, most performers would lip-sync. She was probably forced to do it live because of the SNL fiasco. If she hadn't lip-synced on Saturday Night LIVE, she probably would have gotten away scot free lip-syncing at the Orange Bowl.

[ January 05, 2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point was that the demographics don't overlap. The people who booked her are trying to expand football's demographic. They're hoping that all of Simpson's teenage fans will watch at least part of the game while waiting for halftime and get hooked on the game and creating new football fans.

And if they were going for sex appeal, they really should have told the girl. I've only seen clips of her performance but the only thing that could eclipse how horrible she looked was how hideously she "sang."

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't help it. I liked Pieces of Me. I'll admit to searching around all the radio stations, longing to hear it over and over. It never got old. [Blushing]

But I have to say, it's been all down hill from there. Especially this latest Alley Cat song. What does "la-la" mean exactly? Obviously a euphemism, but certainly not part of any slang I'm familiar with. My theory is that she used it so that she could tell her former-minister-currently-manager-father, "No, dad, it means I want to COOK with him on the kitchen floor!"

And back to the point of the thread, I can't imagine many football fans ever shared my early sentiments. In fact, I doubt many humans over age 16 ever shared my sentiments.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. I happened past that disaster last night while flipping channels. It was so bad I had to stop and watch. What was with that crazy sexoid pelvis grinding move? She looked like David Lee Roth but with uglier clothes. The only person who can do that move and not look completely stupid is Steven Tyler, and even he comes pretty close.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing with Ashlee Simpson is not that she lip-synched (not even that she lip-synched badly), but that she blamed her bad performance (on SNL) on her band. Very bad form. Very rude.

Of course, the stupid hoe-down dance didn't help, either, but I saw that as an attempt at self-deprecating humor. Which failed. Miserably.

I don't like her singing much, but I have to admit that "Pieces of Me" is catchy. I swear I thought someone ELSE was singing it. Hmmm....

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
For that matter, why would they put people like the Backstreet Boys or Wardrobe Malfunction Jackson in a football halftime show? I don't think they pay any attention to what they're doing. They just figure, football is popular, Ashlee Simpson is popular, they must go together. They don't notice that they're not popular with the same people. I would think a country singer or someone like that would go over better at a football game.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's awesome that she lip synchs. I mean, a lip-synched performance is MUCH better than a truly embarrassing live performance ...
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. Actually, the booing off the stage, and the lip synching, are two indicators of career being over. The first shows she has no talent. The second shows she's not a performer.

A country singer, or a classic rock band, would go over better. Heck, grunge bands too. But a female pop/girlee artist? Nope. Not in football.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the only one who feels sorry for the girl? That must really suck.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I feel sorry for her being booed off. That's got to be terrible, I can't even imagine. I don't think she deserved that.
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
You are not the only one. I think booing a performer is just plain bad taste. A lack of applause is enough of a message.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, blacwolve, the human decency part of me is feeling sorry for her. But the logical side of me is thinking "wait, only a few more boos and she'll be too discouraged to sing anymore, right? [Smile] ".
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
We are so very fickle when it comes to our entertainment. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
But that's waht is so sad, Da_G. Performers rarely leave the stage. They just keep going. It is why I can never, ever go to see a comedy routine. I get nauseous watching them bomb.

(Hmm. I do watch American Idol, though)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
#1 - the BCS eats osama bin ladens turds.

#2 - if you are going to have a NON- College band perform at a college game, it should be U2 (who aren't american, thank God because most mainstream American bands suck Coke & Pepsi terrorist turds, Maybe Green Day, but we ain't that cool, is we?)

#3 - It should be a performance by the Best 2 College Bands in the American Land.

#4 - The BCS sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks!

Love,
THOR

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the BCS?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What happened to marching bands? Why aren't they center stage any more? (Even if all the USC band does is play their fight song...)
Awwww, come on, they did "tusk" with Fleetwood Mac! I LOVE that version!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's the BCS?
Pure evil.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike BOC.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.