FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Author Topic: Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that the movie is supposed to be released December 9, 2005. There aren't any trailers on the internet....or not that I could find. So I don't know what to expect. Am I the only one who is looking forward to it? IF not lets discuss the stuff they probably screwed up shall we?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a page or three on it already.

And another..

Do you know about the search feature? I'm not trying to be snotty or anything, it is just that it took me a while to find it on my own when I started here becaue no one told me about it. It is at the top of the page, in very small print.

It isn't perfect, not by a long shot, but it works if you want to see if a topic has been discussed here before you start a thread on it.

I am looking forward to those movies, BTW; I LOVED the books.

Kwea

[ January 04, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Walden is being very secretive about the film. Other than the casting, a few (non-spoiler photo) set reports, and the WETA clip little is known.

Though I think it'll be big. And good. All of Walden's previous adaptations of children's books (like 2003's 'Holes') remain faithful to the story in a good way.

If the kids can act and the special effects don't overwhelm the plot, I think this'll be really cool. [Smile]

Hmm. Read at "Narnia Web" that some big name actresses who expressed interest(Like Michelle Pfeiffer and Julianne Moore!) were turned down in favor of a lesser-known character actress like Tilda Swinton for the role of Jadis/The White Witch.

I expect the first teaser trailer will come out in Spring, with the big media push beginning mid-summer.

By October or November Disney will have lions, witches, and wardrobes EVERYWHERE. [Eek!]

[ January 04, 2005, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
How sad that DISNEY is distributing it. I really don't think Clive Staples would want little Aslans in Happy Meals all across America. [Grumble]

I'm so looking forward to this movie though, so I guess I'll shut up about the Disney thing. [Wink]

[edit for the grammar nazis among us]

[ January 06, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not everything Disney is evil, they have done a lot of good things too.

Even if I don't understand WHY anyone at Disney would WANT to do Hunchback.....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'm trying to avoid thinking about the merchandising.

Personally, I'm hoping they try to keep at least a _modicum_ of taste and respect. As I understand it, Walden controls the film itself, but I'm sure they'll have input on the tie-ins. Hoping they're a good influence on Disney

They may be! They may.

*sigh*

Hey, they may make some cool collectibles.

[ January 04, 2005, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait. I hope they make all seven. And then release extended edition DVDs. Oh yeah baby.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

According to IGN FilmForce's Narnia page, work on the 2006 'Wardrobe' DVD is almost finished.

I don't think the film will have an "Extended Edition". It's based on the shortest book in the series, and the Narnia books are puny to begin with!

Heck, the director has admitted that certain parts of the story (The Pevensie siblings life in London and the climactic battle between the White Witch's army and Aslan's Narnians) have been vastly expanded in order to make it a full-length film.

In the book the first gets a sentence or two, the second gets a page and a half.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting we see a teaser trailer before Star Wars in May, and then a full preview spot before something like War of the Worlds, or at the extreme latest, before Harry Potter GoF, especially Harry Potter becuase that's more of the target audience.

Anyone can watch the WETA clip at www.apple.com/trailers

That's a good site in general for movie trailers, it kind of takes the fun out of previews at the movies, because I've almost always seen them all before hand, but at the same time it's fun to know what's coming out.

I think it's funny that the music they play in the WETA clip is the same from the old Lion Witch and the Wardrobe cartoon (which I loved as a kid...and now...)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
(Welcome to Hatrack, Puffy Treat. [Smile] )
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I have an aged copy of the Children's Television Workshop/Bill Melendez LWW cartoon on videocassette.

I agree that the music is great. My favorite is the "Narnia Theme"...especially when it swells the first time the kids see Aslan, or later when the Great Lion breathes the statues back to life. [Smile]

In fact, the only real flaw I find in that cartoon? No Rumblebuffin! [Frown]

[ January 06, 2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even if I don't understand WHY anyone at Disney would WANT to do Hunchback.....
Word. Or Hunchback 2, where Quasimodo finds true love. I wish I was joking.

The casting of Mr. Tumnus is brilliant - James Macavoy is great and he's a fencer and musician, which makes him a perfect faun. I would not have chosen Tilda Swinton for Jadis. I always pictured her as having black hair (I'll have to go back and re-read b/c I'm not sure if she was described as having black hair or I'm just remembering the illustration). Also, Tilda Swinton is not beautiful in a traditional way and Jadis is supposed to be coldly beautiful in an obvious way. She's a fantastic actress, though, so hopefully that will overcome her physical weaknesses.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Word. Or Hunchback 2, where Quasimodo finds true love. I wish I was joking."

ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

As far as hair goes...wigs. That's all I have to say. [Smile]

Pauline Baynes illustrated Jadis with black hair. I can't remember if the text said "dark" or "black".

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

James McAvoy rocked in the Children of Dune mini series. Leto was my favorite character.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Fun idea:

If _you_ were able to create a teaser trailer for "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", what would it be like? [Smile]

I'll post my idea shortly, I need to locate my CoN books. [Embarrassed]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The teaser trailer would be Lucy going into the wardrobe to hide and then finding the lamp post, looking around wildly, and then meeting Mr. Tumnus.

It would end with him bowing to her.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'd have to show Jadis....even just a quick glimpse of her. [Smile] I think the sight of her in costume looking as large as she's supposed to look would be a teaser indeed (especially for the huge audience that hasn't read the book.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Puffy Treat" is a kick-ass moniker.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

My teaser-

Walt Disney Pictures Logo

and

Walden Media Logo

Shot of the interior of PROFESSOR KIRKE'S study. PETER and SUSAN, both looking concerned stand on either side of his chair. The Professor (fingertips pressed together) seperates his hands.

PROFESSOR KIRKE: "How do you know that your sister's story is not true?"

Cut to a flashback shot of LUCY, entering the Wardrobe, door left open just a crack. (quiet, slightly eerie, wistful music begins playing)

PETER and SUSAN both look at each other in disbelief

PETER: "But how could it be true, sir?"

Cut to a flashback shot of LUCY, looking amazed as fur coats and mothballs change into tree branches and a snowy landscape, complete with incongruous lamp post. Brief glimpse of MISTER TUMNUS, dropping his packages and parasol in surprise upon seeing LUCY.

PROFESSOR KIRKE: "Why do you say that?"

PETER: "Well, for one thing, if it was real why doesn't everyone find this country every time they go to the wardrobe? I mean, there was nothing there when we looked; even Lucy didn't pretend that there was."

During this dialogue, flashback shot of the coats being pushed away by PETER, showing only the wooden back of the Wardrobe. Snippets of dialogue: EDMUND taunting LUCY, SUSAN trying to act like a mother, LUCY looking tearful.

PROFESSOR KIRKE: "What has that to do with it?"

PETER: "Well sir, if things are real, they're there all the time."

Cut to a flashback shot of EDMUND entering the Wardrobe after LUCY...and receiving the shock of his life as he finds himself in Narnia. (Sound of bells jingling, music turns ominous) The sleigh of JADIS pulls onto the screen. JADIS catches sight of EDMUND

JADIS: "Stop!"

Voiceover (PROFESSOR KIRKE): "Are they?"

(Music swells)

COMING THIS CHRISTMAS

The Lion

(Shot of ASLAN in standing in the center of a crowd of TALKING BEASTS, CENTAURS, NAIADS, WOOD GODS, and other good Narnians...the Stone Table can be seen in the background)

the Witch

(Shot of JADIS lifting up the Stone Knife during night time. Her face working and twitching with passion, triumph)

and the Wardrobe

(Shot of all four PEVENSIES entering the Wardrobe ...and emerging with looks of awe as they enter Narnia)

Tagline: Discover the Deeper Magic December 9th, 2005

www.narnia.com

End of trailer. [Smile]

[ January 23, 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[Monkeys] that was brilliant.......i would love to see that before some other movie [Hail] .......i can't believe I did't think of that [Wall Bash] ................ [Razz]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
You know a trailer's got good design when it gives one chills just be reading it.

Oooh.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Now I can't stop thinking about what the full trailer and the TV spots might be like, were I in charge of them.

Too much free-time and a lifelong fixation on fantastic fiction are dangerous things. [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Cripes that was well thought out!

Mine was simpler.

I was thinking something along the lines of panning into the Professor's house, then switching to the wardrobe and slowly zooming into it with a voiceover.

Then Lucy pushes her way into it and we get a flash of imagery from Narnia, Mr. Beaver, Mr. Tumnus, the White Witch's Castle, the stone figures, a very quick flash of Aslan, the Stone Table, and then aerial shots of the battle betweenm Aslan's and Jadis' armies.

But then that's more like a real trailer than a teaser.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.