FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To Hades with Leap Years

Author Topic: To Hades with Leap Years
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Astronomer proposes replacing leap year with Newton Week
By Alex Dominguez, Associated Press
BALTIMORE — An astronomy professor is hoping to convince the world to switch to a new calendar that would take the guesswork out of when Christmas and other holidays fall each year.

Replacing the extra day added to the calendar every Leap Year with a week every five or six years that professor Richard Henry calls "Newton Week," in honor of Sir Isaac Newton, would make every day of the year fall on the same day of the week.

And New Year's Day 2006 would be the perfect time to start the new calendar, he says, because in both the current calendar system and on his new calendar, that day falls on a Sunday.

Henry acknowledges he is a "bit of Grinch" because he designed his calendar so that Christmas and New Year's Day would fall on Sundays.

"You know what happens toward the end of the year. A lot of people like the mess at the end of the year because it gives them time off," he said.

Henry said he knows he doesn't have much hope of succeeding. But, he argues, the new calendar would save countless hours of work worldwide.

"You'd have one calendar on your wall and you'd never change it," he said.

Henry said he knew he could not get rid of the seven-day week in the interests of efficiency because of mandates in the major religions for a weekly sabbath.

Instead, he decided to shorten the year to 364 days. The months would remain the same, although every third month would be 31 days and the rest 30 days long. The week that would replace the extra Leap Year day would be inserted between June and July every five or six years, depending on a rotation Henry has worked out until the year 9998.

Members of one religion might find reason to object. Druids, who keep careful tabs on the solstices, the shortest and longest days of the year, would find those days varying under Henry's calendar.

"That never occurred to me," Henry said. "Here I pay all this attention to the Jews, Christians and Muslims, and I forgot about the Druids."

Henry, who said he was raised a Protestant but does not practice any religion, said simplifying the scheduling of classes he teaches, and not religion, was the motivating factor in developing the new calendar.

"Usually, it's the same course and the next year the homework is going to be due on different dates. I have to go through this every time and redo it because the calendar shifts around," Henry said. "I said, 'Is this really necessary?' And, to my astonishment, I discovered it really isn't."

One objection, however, has been hard to overcome, he said.

"Some people really don't like the idea their birthday will fall on the same day of the week," he said. "They like the variety."

Maya Dewan, 22, is one of those. The AmeriCorps volunteer said she wouldn't mind if her birthday fell on a Friday or Saturday.

"It would be just depressing if you had your birthday on a Monday, or a Wednesday," she said while sitting at a Baltimore coffee shop with friends.

Her friend, Leila Ahoor, 21, agreed. "It seems so unnecessary, is scheduling that difficult?"

Henry's calendar reform proposal has a Web site at henry.pha.jhu.edu.

Lazy teachers [No No]
But Newton did do a lot of stuff.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
What a load. [Roll Eyes]

Tolkien had a much better calendar.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally enjoy the playing card calendar developed by Jostein Gaarder in The Solitarie Mystery; anything with a thirteen-month calendar just makes life simpler.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
All we have to do is wait. The earth's rotation is slowing down ever so gradually. In a few millennia, maybe, there will be exactly 365 days in a year. Or maybe in a million years or so. Eventually the Earth might slow down so much that it presents always one face toward the sun, the way the moon does toward the earth. But don't be alarmed, the sun will most likely explode before that happens. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
"Currently the change in the rotation rate increases the length of day by some 2.3 milliseconds per day per century."

So to lose 1/4 of a day (roughly) over the course of a year it should take some ...

24/4 * 3600 / 2.3e-3 / 365 centuries or 2.5 million years. See? Nothing to worry about!

[ December 30, 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm comforted.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
depending on a rotation Henry has worked out until the year 9998.
Am I the only one that doesn't think time will last that long?

I think this idea stinks. [Mad]

[ December 30, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he has waaaaay too much time on his hands. If he's a professor, why doesn't he teach? That soundds like a much more beneficial idea.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The tsunami may have sped up the earth's rotation by 3 microseconds.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I like the idea.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Tell why you like the idea.

All I see is a waste of time. But, my schedule never presents me with huge problems.

I suppose I could be open to this if I looked at it from another angle. I'm just not seeing any other angles here. [Dont Know]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
A waste of time ... are we punning?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

If there are puns here, I missed 'em.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tell why you like the idea."

Well, in all fairness, it IS clearer, more consistent, and more efficient (which is a bad thing for people looking for free holiday time) than the current system. It's not as useful as the many time reckoning systems posited by sci-fi authors, who generally do away with tradition altogether, but it's actually an interesting compromise between the two extremes.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that I mind the proposed system either. Holidays would always land on the same days, and if you got a planner for your birthday and didn't need one for that year you could still use it the next. Plus, every few years you get an extra week of summer vacation.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Yea.. but what if your birthday was on a wednesday? Blah. [Razz]

or, I know a guy born on Friday the 13th. What if it was ALWAYS Friday the 13th. Talk about your bad luck! [Razz]

Okay, so maybe I don't have very good reasons to be against it.. hmm.. i'm gonna try to think of some..

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
If my birthday was on a Wednesday, my (future) coworkers would have to buy me presents because they would be sure to see me.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

and they wouldn't see you monday tuesday thursday friday?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.