FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So*, Anybody Read Tad William's Latest?

Author Topic: So*, Anybody Read Tad William's Latest?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was browsing in a bookstore a week or so ago, and saw (and almost bought) Tad Williams' latest novel, Shadowmarch. I'll still get it--I was just being frugal and waiting until I'd gotten my Christmas gift certificates so that I wouldn't, you know, have to spend any real money.

Anybody read this yet? Tom? If so, how does it compare with his other work?

*"So" included after the fact, special for Trisha. [Razz]

[ December 27, 2004, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it new as in a whole new series, or stand alone book? It popped up when I bought the Sean Russell book and caught my eye. (which, was, of course, the point of it popping up)

Hee hee. I liked you "so" idea, Noemon.

[ December 27, 2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Looks like the beginning to a new series.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Why thank you!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, then, I am NOT reading it. I am sick and tired of waiting for these authors to get off their duffs and finish their series.' Way too painful. It took me months before I could pick up a book after Martin's last one. Hmmph.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, you know, maybe I'll hold off too, for the same reason. One of the things I liked about Otherland was the fact that I discovered it after it was completely done, so I could just sit and read until the story was finished. Besides, the blurb on the dustjacket didn't really grab my attention, and neither did the first couple of pages.

[ December 27, 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My SIL got it for free, as part of some market-research thing. Only she doesn't READ sf. So she left it here when they moved out.

I'm about 180 pages or so through it (IOW, less than a third of the way through), and it's interesting. Not in a OMG-I-must-finish-this-book-right-now! sense, but more in a when-I-have-time-to-sit-and-read-I'll-invest-another-few-hours-and-see-where-this-goes sense.

This is the first Tad Williams book I've read, and I mostly picked it up at all because his other books have gotten such rave reviews hereabouts.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am definitely not reading a series unless I know it s finished. There are so many that are, it should bot be a problem. I am enjoying the Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Haydon right now.
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong, But I do believe this book was at one time an online-only title from his website that was released a chapter at a time or one segment each month... Anyway, if this is the book in question, it was a bit of an experimentation by TW. I have read most of his other work and am a bit ashamed by the fact that I did not know this made it to print.

I will be eagerly waiting to hear if it is any good, but will most likely buy it anyway.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. [Smile] Shadowmarch was a moderately successful -- by online standards, which is to say not particularly successful at all -- writing experiment, in which Tad would contribute regular chapters to a growing story and work in suggestions, artwork, and even other stories submitted by paid members of the site (which had a discussion forum very similar to this one, actually.)

The forum's still around, and still pretty lively, but Tad decided that since he wasn't making enough money to support his family from the venture, and was working as hard on it as he worked on any book (and thus wasn't getting other books done), it made more sense to go the traditional print route.

This version of the book is not exactly the online version; he's completely rewriting it so that it flows more "traditionally."

I'm ashamed to admit that while I have a signed copy -- dedicated to Sophie, no less -- I haven't had time to actually start it, especially since I was privy to the original. I'll let you know what I think once I get into it. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tom, is it a stand-alone? And have you read The Initiate Brother? (Sean Russell)
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
(Tom is crushed to admit he has a copy of a book he helped create, signed to his child.)

*itty-bitty tiny violin screeching

[Wink]

[ December 28, 2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
He said he intends three volumes. And serialized, it was pretty darn long. So, no, it's a series.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
(Tom could do penance for his wicked ways by DM'ing a game for me. [Smile] )
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I had picked up a copy of "Shadowmarch" as soon as it came out. I enjoyed it. It got bogged down at times...but overall it was a good book and I'll be picking up the sequel. I really enjoyed the "Otherland" series and his more recent "War of the Flowers".
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Just to clarify: I did not contribute in any major way to the creation of this book. *laugh* I made some early submissions, and hung out at the forums, but my understanding is that only the plot points are going to survive, and most of the text is going to go through a complete rewrite.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.