FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chocolate and Marijuana

Author Topic: Chocolate and Marijuana
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&e=18&u=/hsn/20041226/hl_hsn/chocolateaboonforthelibidoandtheheart

An interesting article about chocolate.
The other day at work I read that our brains produce a chemical found in marijuana. Isn't that interesting?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of things in marijuana - it's not surprising that some of them occur other places. This does not take away from marijuana's harmful effects.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great albumn name.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Our brains produce anandamide, the body's endogenous cannabinoid. Anandamide is thought to cause the "runner's high". (THC is not stored in fat, although its metabolites are.) Anandamide is also found in chocolate, although you would get stimulated from the xanthines in it long before you got stoned.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm...xanthines...*eats chocolate*
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that Rowling made chocolate a good old-fashioned remedy.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the chocolate is better than sex theory myself because of the. . . well, here's the quote that explains it better.

quote:
Substances found in chocolate, such as phenylethylamine, theobromine, anandamide and tryptophan trigger mood enhancing chemicals and neurotransmitters to be released in the brain. Phenylethylamine is a chemical found in the body that is similar to amphetamine. It helps mediate feelings of giddiness, attraction, euphoria and excitement. Researchers believe phenylethylamine causes the brain to release mesolimbic dopamine in the pleasure centers of the brain, which peaks during an orgasm. This may be why women report to prefer chocolate to sex.
[Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it IS easier to find good chocolate than good sex....that might have something to do with it too.

I have never had BAD chocolate....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm pretty sure few (if any) religions limit chocolate to married folks.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have never had BAD chocolate....
I've never had bad sex. Sure, some sex is better than others, but cmon now. Sex, bad? ;-)
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
They should just legalize Marijuana, or at least experiment on it some more.
I have never smoked the stuff before. When you get drunk off of music, you really don't need to, but, it has been found to help with things like nausea, pain relief, helping people to get their appetites back and things like that.
The article talked about trying to find ways to inhibit some brain chemicals or increase others, but there are still side effects involved.
It was interesting as all hell. I wonder what sort of chemicals from my brain make me music drunk.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely even use the stuff recreationally anymore, because being fat-soluble it stays in your system too long. This is unfortunate, as it is the best anti-nausea drug one could hope for. Hell, for the last month and a half I did use it regularly, the only reason I purchased it was to make sure I had something to combat come-up nausea of psychedelics, or ease comedowns of stimulants. Not that I would not use it just for the hell of it if it was around, though.

Syn, have you ever been drunk off alcohol? I can get a dopamine high (or so I assume it is) from music, but it does not resemble drunkeness very closely at all.

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of very good reasons to avoid marijuana, even for medical purposes. I'm in favor of legalizing it, but only because I think we're very inconsistent in this country regarding which mind-altering substances we build industries around (e.g., alcohol) and which we criminalize (e.g., marijuana). The data are pretty clear that marijuana is no where near as debilitating as alcohol and yet we send people to jail (in some states for life if they have a three strike law) for it, whereas we elect people president who abuse alcohol.

I think we are being stupid and bowing to industry (ooh...big surprise) instead of making laws that treat basically equivalent social evils equally. If we nod & wink at alcohol abuse, we should nod & wink at marijuana abuse.

And then, people found doing really stupid things like driving under the influence should just lose major privileges. If we took away drivers' licenses for 10 years (minimum) for first offense drunk driving, we'd solve that problem pretty quickly, I think.

Of course, we'd also have to incarcerate people who decide to drive anyway.

But...since they're all just one binge away from a vehicular manslaughter charge, I figure we have every right as a society to treat them as potential murderers.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read a Scientific American article about the brain's natural endocannabinoids. Apparently (and this makes a lot of sense) all psychoactive drugs work by simulating natural substances produced by the brain for other purposes. Endocannabinoids are used by the brain to help with unlearning anxiety responses to stimuli previously associated with fear or pain but which now are neutral. They also seem to regulate the appeal level of food. Apparently they also may mediate the pain killing response of morphine.

Actually smoking marijuana has all sorts of side effects, from lung damage, to interefering with memory formation, to just the general low-function cognitive state of being stoned out of one's mind. However, studying the effects of various endocannabinoids in the brain may lead to more specific drugs to treat post traumatic stress, nausea, obesity, pain, and anorexia, hopefully with fewer side effects than marijuana use.

This tells me that scientists should look more closely at all psychoactive substances, simply to learn what they can teach us about the brain.

[ December 27, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually smoking marijuana has all sorts of side effects, from lung damage, to interefering with memory formation, to just the general low-function cognitive state of being stoned out of one's mind.
It should be pointed out that, as with cigarettes, the side effects only come about with Excessive smoking. I don't think someone who smokes, say, a cigarette a day -- or three a week, or a joint of marijuana every few days...is going to be victim to those side effects.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I've known a lot of smokers in my lifetime but not one who smokes one cigarette a day. Nicotine is addictive. Everyone I know who smokes is addicted to it, so they want it a lot more often than once a week.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
When sex is good, it's good, when it's bad, it's bad, and people are inconsistent enough that you can never tell what you get. If I spend my money on a gourmet chocolate bar, and it's stale or otherwise not as good as the same variety usually is, I can go back to the store and get a new one.
Big advantage.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Interesting info. I guess that is how the pot brownie came into being. Double whammy.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.