FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Santa Confessionals(How did you find out the awful truth?)

Author Topic: Santa Confessionals(How did you find out the awful truth?)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a thread to tell how you found out that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

------------------------------------------------
I don't know about anyone else, but when I was a kid Santa creeped me out. I didn't want some stranger with a beard coming into my house at night. So one night when I was like twelve I stayed up all night to see if I could kill him with my Boy Scout regulation pocket knife. When I saw my parents doing Santa's job I figured he didn't exist so I went back to bed.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
You were planning on killing Santa Claus?! *gasp*

[No No]

Anyway...

There wasn't an actual moment where I found out that Santa was fake. It was more like a slow and quiet realization.

*shrugs*

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's awesome. I was like four, same age I learned about sex. I have a lot of weird quasi-Freudian issues with Santa. Anyway, my sister who was six told me he didn't exist in the same conversation where she explained that there is this guy named Santa that some people worship at Christmastime. So I always equated "Santa" with "Doesn't exist".

Also, my mom had painted a picture of a villainously clever looking man for a stage prop (the painting contained a clue about some kind of mystery). Not wanting to discard it altogether, she slapped a beard, a white hat, and a sack of toys onto the painting.

There was actually an entire thread devoted to deprogramming my Santa envy last year. I wonder if it's still around.

[ December 23, 2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about Saint Nicholas at the library. *grin

I started believing again when I was 17. My father used to shake sleigh bells (attached to a strap of leather) outside on Christmas Eve. He died in October, the year I was 17.

That Christmas, the bells still rang. it was my beautiful, sweet brother. [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I found out when I was three and stayed up all night to see Santa. I never really trusted my parents again after I found that out, and have never told my kids tales such as that (some things they have come to believe on their own, but that's another matter).
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember, but my parents *still* do the Santa thing. Dad always sends me stuff from Rudolf and Santa and Mrs Claus.

My 2 year old daughter gravely informed me last night that Santa isn't real. Then a few minutes later, she asked me what Santa was bringing her. I love that girl.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing a search last year for festivals of light for school, and found this link. I thought it was very interesting. It has an obvious "bent," being from the cannabis site, but it does come from myth. I am reading the "Rhapsody" series right now by Elizabeth Haydon, which features a world tree, and Tolkien based much of LOTR on this Norse mythology.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3136.html

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew into it. When I was eight, I recall, I found a box in the garage. It was mailed to my mother's name. It was the box from the drum set I had got the previous Christmas. It was just the solid proof I needed.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I never really believed in santa. But i know a girl who's mother went out of town the week of christmas when she was 15 (her birthday is in january). Her mom wanted to do christmas a week early because she wouldn't be home for christmas, but the girl insisted that mom didn't need to be there, santa would do it. So the mom had a car dealer bring her christmas present over on christmas morning saying it was from santa.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Breyer: A car dealer?!? o_O

I always knew, but my parents kept up the act until I was 15 or 16. I never believed them, but I was always too good a kid to stay up and actually prove it too myself.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember. I don't remember believing, but I don't remember finding out otherwise. My parents DEFINITELY did the Santa thing, but I can't remember it.

I probably had my nose in a book. How weird that that's gone!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] What do you mean Santa doesn't exist? [Grumble]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you guys! We go through this every year. Of course he exists! He's just got better technology than us is all. He's a cool guy. Just cause people's parents also give presents doesn't mean Santa isn't real. Sheesh!

He's got time travel stuff which is why he can manage to get to everyone's house that he goes to in only one night. He spends most of the year doing it. Summers he generally spends in the jungles of Brazil on the Amazon with his friend the Tooth Fairy. Apparently the earth's rotation messes with his time travel equipment, so he had to locate at one of the poles so he could easily cancel that motion out.

The chimney thing is just a legend, of course. What he actually does is have the ability to travel in at least four spatial dimensions. As anyone knows, this means he can access inside locked 3d rooms because he can touch any point inside the same way you and I can set a pencil down inside a square drawn on a sheet of paper.

So let's hear no more of this nonsense about Santa not existing. Of course he exists!

[ December 23, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Even when I was a wee little tot I thought there to be something quite fishy with the fact that Santa had the same handwriting as my dad.

The real mystery to me has always been how they got those darned dollars under my pillows! (Tooth Fairy reference, of course) When I was about 6 they started getting lazy and just putting the money BESIDE the bed. Those chumps. [Smile]
Anyway, explain to me how you parents now get the money under the pillow, and then perhaps I shall know how mine did it.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Daddy says "You just gotta make sure they're tired when you put them to bed... once they're asleep, most kids are pretty good sleepers. With you guys, we coulda shoved you over into the next room while we did if we'd've needed to."

Mommy says "You just reach under there and take the tooth and leave the money. No big deal."

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
As of yet, nobody has given me any good evidence to suggest Santa doesn't exist. Thus, I suspect those who claim they know Santa doesn't exist are confused... or looking to justify their lack of faith.

I have, though, figured out that my parents have a history of pretending to be Santa, based on accumulating evidence over a long period of time, such as the discovery of wrapped presents from Santa in my house prior to Christmas.

[Smile]

[ December 23, 2004, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time-travel thing again. [Big Grin]
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I always kind of knew. We pretended but it was always a happy pretend.

One night, though. I was too excited to sleep. I wasn't waiting for Father Christmas, I just couldn't sleep. My stocking sat on the end of my bed.

My mother came in, carrying a duvet (didn't seem odd, at them time). She said I should go to sleep (of course I didn't). Five minutes later, she returned, still carrying the duvet and told me to go to sleep.

After she left, I lay down. After a few minutes, I feel something heavy on my feet. It's my stocking, filled to the brim. I figured out what had happened of course, but my parents always denied it.
"I was up all night!" I kept saying.
My parents insisted that I must have fallen asleep for five minutes and that was when Father Christmas came.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I was the world's worst tooth fairy. I forgot to put the money under the pillow sooo many times. This necessitated learning the "gosh, let me help you look for it" method of slipping the money under the pillow. "Oh, look, there it is, honey!!"

I'm still so ashamed.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha.
I am a sound sleeper. Darn it. I slept right through the magic of the tooth fairy! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember really believing in Santa. But I my memory isn't the greatest either. I remember that my parents talked about Santa as though he existed. They said that they were Santa's helpers. There would be presents under the tree before Christmas, and those were from specific people. But anything that appeared on Christmas morning was "from Santa". Mainly the stocking stuffers and some presents.

But my parents never actively tried to make me believe. It was my older brothers who did that. They really enjoyed trying to get me to believe in Santa and would try all kinds of things--telling me that they heard reindeer hoofs on the roof or explaining in great detail the "technology" behind Santa visiting every child's house in one night.

But I don't know that I ever *really* believed them. But I wondered enough that I went to my parents one day and openly asked them. They told me succinctly that there was no Santa Claus. I was kinda taken aback by that. I guess I wasn't expecting them to be so up front so easily. No attempts to continue the fascade. While I wasn't surprised, I must admit a tiny hint of disappointment. I guess they figured if I was old enough to ask, I was old enough to know the truth.

That's probably a similar guideline I will use in choosing when to tell my children about the birds 'n' bees.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't learn about Santa Clause until I went to school. I asked my father if Santa Clause is real, and he asked "What do you think?" I told him that I didn't think he was real. My dad responded "You're a pretty smart boy."
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember any Santa facade at my house. I think I always knew he wasn't real. But then, my Christmases were pretty warped, anyway. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents pulled the "what do you think" on me too. Well, my mom did. My dad still maintains that santa is real. He's so cute... [Smile]

Anyway, when I was in kindergarten or first grade, one of those older kids told me Santa wasn't real. I was upset and so I asked my mom if it was true. Though I didn't know at the time, she made it a point not to lie to her children, and so she asked me "What do you think?" I replied that I thought he was real and she said, "Well, that's all that matters then."

When I was in second grade, though, I asked again. She asked me what I thought again and I said, "Oh, no, I'm not falling for that again. Is he real or isn't he?" She told me the truth. I said that it probably meant that the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy weren't real either, huh. And she said nope. That was us too. Then she made me agree to help the kids think that Santa was real.

Now none of us believe, except my Dad, of course. But we still get presents from Santa. [Smile]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but when I was a kid Santa creeped me out. I didn't want some stranger with a beard coming into my house at nigh.
[Smile] My mom was like that as a kid; at one point they had to take her to the hospital because she was so panicked. Then some kid told her that there was no Santa, and to her relief, her parents verified this. (her next statement, she says, was something like: "At least there's still the tooth fairy").

So my parents decided to spare me and my siblings by telling us Santa didn't exist when we first heard of him. [Wink]

--j_k, who edited this post to add his sig.

[ December 24, 2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
My current tooth losing child is not into the tooth fairy, so it doesn't matter if he wakes up when hubby puts the money under his pillow. It'll be tougher with Olivia though.
BTW< what's the tooth fairy pay at your house? I was all set to give Matthew quarters, but hubby gives him dollar bills.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
There ain't no sanity clause!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the tooth fairy pays about a buck a tooth now, but guilt-ridden ones tend to pay more.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember how old I was, but I had started to suspect, so I asked my parents point blank. They confessed. I remain bitter about it to this day--not about the fact that there is no Santa, but rather about the fact that they lied to me for years about something trivial.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I also remember not believing. The whole idea of every child all over the world was just too much to swallow. I think also it is because my parents, like me, never actually insisted that he was real. One of my fondest memories is of my Dad reading the Cajun Night Before Christmas. Still, Santa was more of a story we all played at, knowing it was pretend but having fun all the same.

I remember wishing it were true, though. I looked outside, and saw a reddish light in the sky. "That could be Santa Claus, if he were real," I thought, "But I know it is just a helicopter."

I like the story of Saint Nicholas, and tell my kids that Santa Claus was a real man who lived in medieval times, and we celebrate his spirit by giving presents in his name. They like that.

Of course, this developed into my oldest telling my youngest: "I have some bad news. Santa Claus is dead."

[ December 24, 2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. A lot of you are starting to worry me with this bitterness and not trusting parents anymore stuff. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen with my youngest!

I choose not to share how I found out about Santa for reasons of my own. However, my son discovered the truth when he was 6. He just came up to us one evening and announced that he didn't think Santa was real and that he knew we were the ones who put presents out. It wasn't sad for him as far as I know - he was actually quite excited because now he could help play Santa with us. Ever since then on Christmas Eve he fills his sister's stocking, which he thinks is very cool.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I still trust my parents. I have wonderful parents. They aren't perfect, of course, but I feel they did a great job raising me, and my sister.

I simply question the wisdom of lying to a child for years over something inconsequential. I believe that it's only acceptable to lie to your children if it will protect them from something that they are not yet equipped to handle. The fact that Mom and Dad are the ones that filled the stockings doesn't qualify.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you are my hero! [Big Grin]

"You cant-a fool me, there is no sanity clause!"

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reminded of Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, in which it says we have to start by believing the little lies so eventually we can believe the big lies like justice and mercy and so on . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was probably about 5 or 6 when I found out for sure. I had been in a scuffle with a neighbor boy and my folks were in the process of deciding what sort of punishment I was to recieve for fighting. They asked me why I'd gotten in a fight and I told them that the boy had claimed that Santa was fake. I became indignant and asserted that Santa surely existed because my parents told me he did and they wouldn't lie. This was about when he made a statement concerning my parent's trustworthiness... the fight was on. My parents still express some guilt over this episode.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.