FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worst/Funnist present ever

Author Topic: Worst/Funnist present ever
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, jen brought this up in the "best" thread, and I truly believe our *special* gifts deserve a thread of their own.

My worst gift ever was given to me by my husband on our first Christmas together. Now, we'd only known each other for a month and a half, and I had no idea what to expect.

So I unwrap my gift, and it's a soap dispenser in the shape of a fish. Hmm. So I politely thank him while wondering what in the heck is wrong with him. He busted out laughing and explained that it wasn't really my gift - it was actually *his* gift from his grandmother - who reigns as queen of the bad gifts.

To give a better example, last year we attended a gift exchange at her house. I'd forgotten my gift, so I told her I'd sit out. Didn't happen. She'd bought an extra gift and gave it to me to use as mine. Needless to say the uncle that ended up the mining hat was not thrilled - it was like a plastic band with a light attached to it that went around one's head. Another year she gave everyone numbers to draw gifts that she'd bought, but didn't include enough gifts. She told my brother-in-law, "That's part of the fun. Some people get gifts and some people don't." [Smile]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Opera,
The headlamp is an awesome gift. You just haven't been in a portapotty at night, is all.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
She should have sent me that mining hat -- I would have loved it. We've found them to be quite useful for when we need to do chores after dark (like in Winter) because no trying to juggle the flashlight with one hand while untying hay bales with the other...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
My worst gift ever was a cat from my wife. I picked it up to pet it and it jumped on my face. For some reason she decided to let it keep its claws and needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. Stupid cat!!! [Mad] [Grumble]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
For one Christmas, my brother sent me a circle of black and white flowers mounted on a gold-colored plastic stand with a couple of gold-painted cherubs.

It was, quite obviously, a funeral wreath.

*giggle
I don't think he knew. He's pretty much an innocent, and he probably thought I'd like the cherubs. [Smile]

(Space Opera, sounds like a hoot of a Grandma!)

[ December 23, 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago my hubby's aunt sent him an electronic windshield wiper. It has gone down in infamy.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I've often thought about the worst gift possible, and I decided long ago that buying someone a gun for a baby shower is by far the worst.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I once wrapped a pack of batteries with a note saying "Gift not included."

And gave it to my little sister.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Opera, personally, my favorite gifts are usually the real howlers.

One of my friends has one that gets passed around his group at church each year. It's been all over the world, and I think it's currently in Iraq, having been sent there last year for one of his friends in the Army. Years ago, my friend was stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, and found a stuffed reindeer hoof. It's a real hoof from a reindeer and has been taxidermied and mounted on a disk of varnished pine. It has no discernable purpose other than fascinating grotesqueness. Anyway, he bought this treasure there and packed it around with him as he was transferred from base to base. He confesses that he has no idea why he bought it originally, but for some reason never got rid of it.

So one year, he was cleaning out his basement and found it. Right before Christmas. So he gave it to his best friend. The next year, his best friend gave it to the pastor of their church. And so on. I think they've been exchanging it for around 10 years now. It's been painted gold now, so I hear, and has had fake jewels glued to it. I'm sure it's a vision to behold.

Another friend has a Christmas card she exchanges with one of her friends. It's the same Christmas card...they send it back and forth to each other every year, adding new comments and well wishes each year. I love that.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometime before I was born my uncle got my dad (his brother) a cat for christmas, my dad hates cats. She was 3 years older than me, and lived to be 18. Well the christmas after she had died, we were catless, and i was a bit sad about that. Well I went up on christmas morning, and there was a huge box, with holes in it and the wrapping paper. I was positive it was a cat, so I open it and...
it was a new tv for my bedroom.
We got spencer right after valentines that year at Petsmart (through the animal shelter) he was a 12 week old kitten sitting on top of a shelf in his cage (he'd been in foster care and was only there for the day).

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
FG, you just hold the flashlight in your mouth. Of course when it's snowing sideways and you're struggling to stand up, and worried about a colicy horse you just brought into the barn, then that's a little hard.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.