FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yo, Scopatz!

Author Topic: Yo, Scopatz!
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be going by a pretty good Italian grocery this afternoon. Is there anything you'd like me to pick up and bring down? Something it just wouldn't be Christmas without, or not even Christmas related but you can't get in the middle of nowhere down there? Lemme know by, um, 11 or so and I'll see what I can do.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something it just wouldn't be Christmas without, or not even Christmas related but you can't get in the middle of nowhere down there?
DUH! Pan d'oro!

I want an Italian grocery in my town.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

What's pan d'oro?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay...you are just so sweet!

I doubt they'll have any left, but if you find a nice Panettone (Italian fruit-laden bread baked in a bag), I'd definitely spring for that. It's a wonderful treat with hot chocolate on a cold morning.

Just saying...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HISTORY of PAN D' ORO
LEGEND and HISTORY of PAN D'ORO cake
Second only to Panettone in popularity and also increasingly very well known obroad , Pand'oro which means Golden Bread is of more recent origin and therefore, more reflective of todays tastes.
Emerging in the romanic city of Verona over a century ago when changes in fashion favored lighter leavened doughs over heavier, almondy pastes, Pan D'oro adheres closely to production formula in the Venetian tradition. Tall and distinctive and shaped like a Christmas tree,it is covered with vanilla sugar which is sprinkled on just before serving.,giving the appearance of snow.
If if cut horizontally, each slice resembles a star in shape.
Like Panettone , Pan d'oro may be enjoyed plain; but also it is presented traditionally at restaurants and private parties with many types of cream or sauces, such as mascarpone , champagne, melted chocolate or whipped cream poured over its slices.
At times the top may be hollowed and stuffed to overflowing with ice cream, zabaglione or other tasty fillings.
Pan d'oro the Golden bread of Italy is a delicacy to make any moment golden.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh yum!!!

Now I don't know which I'd rather have...pan d'oro or panettone.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds so good. Is there a place in Orlando that sells that?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
This cake appeared in Milan,
northern Italy, around the 15th century, and the custom of consuming Panettone
spread immediately all over the world.

But how was panettone born? There are many legends around this traditional product. They are almost all love stories, and we shouldn't be surprised, since Milan, notwithstanding its aspect, its work oriented attitude, its traffic, and everything else, it has always been, and will always be one of the most romantic cities in the world. Here are some of these legends.

The first one is a love story: it is the XVth century, the Court of the Duke Ludovico Maria Sforza.

Ughetto, the hawk breeder of the Duke, loves the studying and the solitude. But he especially loves the beautiful daughter of the baker, Adalgisa. Their love, as it often happened back then, was opposed by Ughetto's family. So he could only meet the beautiful Adalgisa at night, when he could avoid her family surveillance. Moreover, Adalgisa at night was up too, because she had to attend to the bread making in her father bakery.
Unfortunately, a series misfortunes happened to the baker all at once. He started loosing many clients, another bakery opened up nearby, then the bakery boy fell ill and Adalgisa was forced to do all the heavy chores. Then Ughetto had an idea: he offered himself as the baker boy and thought to improve the bread adding some butter to the dough: there were no money to buy the butter?.... no problem.... The young man sold a couple of beautiful hawks and bought the butter he needed. It was an immediate success and it grew even more when Ughetto added some sugar to his recipe.
Some glutton found out and the word got around in the neighborhood. Ughetto, happy to see a smile again on his lover's lips, one night added some candied citron and eggs to part of the dough, which was ready for cooking. It was a very special bread and everybody liked it. At Christmas, the young man had another idea and added some raisins. It was a huge success. Naturally at this point Ughetto and Adalgisa's dream came true and they could get married.
Their secret soon became common knowledge; soon enough in every block bakers made big shapes and big quantities of the sweet bread with raisins.

A very similar story, but without the romantic part, says that the invention of the sweet bread wasn't the work of messer Ughetto, but of sister Ughetta that, in order to please the other nuns, invented a very successful sweet brad for Christmas.

Sister Ughetta lived in a poor convent with other young nuns: the upcoming Christmas was going to be sad and miserable. But all of a sudden the situation changed when Suora Ughetta came up with this new cake on which she had traced with a knife a cross on the crust of the cake. When the cupola-shaped crust was cooked and golden, the groove left by the knife opened up, creating those bumbs that are still visible today in the traditional panettoni, still manufactured today according to the old recipes.

The third legend goes back again to the times of the most flourishing of Milan, during the reign of the Visconti and Sforza families.

Court of the Duke Ludovico, Christmas Night. That night at the Castle Sforzesco a big party was given, with music and dance. A luxurious banquet that had to finish with a dessert. The art of dessert-making was a very special art at that time: it showed the quality of the kitchen of the seignory and especially of the skills of the head chef of an important family. For that occasion the chef had prepared a special dessert, but this, alas, had suddenly burned, it was all pieces of coal.
How to fix it? "Dessert!... Dessert!..." demanded loudly the guests. What to do?... In the Court kitchen people were terrified; the Duke's wrath was going to be terrible: back then, they put you to death for reasons far more futile than this. The head chef was scared to death: he was going to get the worst punishment.
Toni, the little scullery boy approached the head chef and with trembling voice said: "With the left overs of what you used for the big dessert, I made my own dessert, I added a few eggs and a little sugar, a bit of raisins and citron... it's a simple dessert, for me and some friends of mine that are gathering tonight at my house... If you want it, there it is...", and he pointed to a big bun, well made, with a big cupola of brown crust. The chef looked at it with great suspicion, but from that dough was coming out a very enticing aroma. And after all, he didn't have much choice... that is, there was nothing else to send up to the table of the Duke's guests, who were protesting louder and louder. He decorated little scullery boy's dessert, put it on a large golden tray and had it sent to the party hall. A big applause saluted the entrance of the unusual cake. The Duchess cut the first slice and in a few moments the whole cake was devoured. A chorus of praises raised from everybody at the table; the praises turned soon into enthusiastic acclamations. The chef's heart quieted down. "Bravo!... Bravo!... What novelty, what a good dessert!". The Duke himself wanted to pay his compliments to the chef, who was the only one who couldn't figure out the reason of all this great success. Naturally, nobody said anything about what had happened. The little scullery boy, astonished and scared, was hiding in a corner. But the truth came out eventually and Toni's bread - "el pan del Toni" - was on everybody's mouth: everybody was talking about this new cake and its incredible sweet taste, popular and aristrocratic at the same time. Thus, "El pan del Toni" turned soon in the panetton we know today.

Source: Colomba Italy Website

ElJay
Member # 6358

*giggle* I'll see what they have.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I've been to the Castello Sforzesco. [Smile]

I like pan d'oro better than panettonne, because it's sweeter and lighter.

Mmmm.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This is so typical of Italian stories. There're always at least two versions of every important legend, and sometimes many more...

And they almost always involve at least one that's a pun on someone's name.

I love it!

[Big Grin]

Thanks LJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yo! ElJay!

(I sent you an e-mail a few days ago, and haven't not heard back...)?

I saw a car here in Kansas the other day with a personalized license plate that said "ELL JAY" and I thought of you -- and thought you should get a personalized plate for your motorcycle someday.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hi FG! I don't check my hotmail all that often when I'm not expecting something. I'll go trot off and do that now.

I've thought about personalized plates, but I've always thought they should be the vehicles name, not your own. [Smile]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in a small Italian dominated town in Ohio and then lived pretty close to "the hill" in St. Louis (an Italian dominated community) and now I really, really miss having a decent Italian bakery. It would seem that in Kansas, French bread is considered fancy. And I don't like sour-dough. [Frown]

The Hill.

Restaurant guide.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Answered, and I gave you my "checks everyday" e-mail addy.

I have a fabulous french bakery within walking distance. For breakfast this morning I had a croissant split in two, spread with pastry cream, and sprinkled with almonds and sugar. And a latte, which I'm almost finished with. [Smile]

Yeeeeah, I took the day off to finish getting ready for Christmas, right...

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah -- you're making me so hungry! That sounds like a fabulous breakfast!

(got your reply - I'll let you know how it goes)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

It was still warm, too. And the baker knows me by name, and I don't even go there that often. (Honest.) I love living in the city.

( [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )

ElJay
Member # 6358

They has stacks of it. At least two dozen different varieties. Of both of the things mentioned above that I'm too lazy to look how to spell.
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Grumble] So, now that I'm home and take a moment to read the paper, this is in the food section:

quote:
...speaking of Italian, this terrific new little neighborhood bakery is baking panettone, the tall, fruity Christmas loaf with a top shaped like a church dome. It's easy to find the imported brands, but they're always dry. What you'll get here is fresh and fine. Other offerings include...
It's about two miles from my house.

Ah well, I'm sure the one I got will be delicious. [Smile]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
You realize that you in another three plus months, the way you addressed him will no longer be specific enough....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Huh. You're right.

I'm sure by that time I'll've come up with plenty of other things to call him.

[Wink]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You posted three consecutive times.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed.

And . . . ?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I had more to say.

And you'll notice they were seperated by hours. I feel funny editing a post when it was 10 hours prior.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yum!!!

thanks ElJay. I'm sure it will be wonderful. Butter and hot chocolate await.

[Big Grin]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just pointing it out so I'd have an excuse to post. I was in a postwhoring mood.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*stomach grumbles*

I haven't had good panettone since Brazil. [Frown] And there, I also had chocottone...with chocolate instead of fruit. Oh my gosh, it's so good. I bought a panettone last year for my family to try and it was ok, but kind of stale.

I guess in Brazil it's similar to Italy in that everyone gives panettone boxes to neighbors and friends as gifts. As missionaries, we had 3 or 4 both years I was there. Yum!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

They had chocolatey ones at the store, too. I considered it, but decided to stick with my directive.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.