FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I was going to change my screenname to Tsicamrahp anyway...

Author Topic: I was going to change my screenname to Tsicamrahp anyway...
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Quoted from OSC's most recent review:

quote:
I loathe horror movies, whether they're teen slashers or Clive Barker shockfests, or star murderous dolls or possessed children. I especially detest anything to do with vampires, which I find both boring and stupid -- and disturbing, when I realize that a huge segment of the public regards vampires as somehow romantic and attractive.

The cool thing is, (for anyone that is not a fan of the Castlevania video game series) is that Alucard is only half-vampire, and vows to destroy them because of their evil tendencies. So that is a BIG difference when it comes to my avatar, right? [Razz]

I am just so misunderstood. [Wink]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's a *big* difference!

::surreptitiously rubs a cut clove of garlic on his throat and wrists::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered, which do you find most repellant: a cross or a crucifix?

[ December 22, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go on a trip, just how large a quantity of your native soil do you have to take with you in order to get a good day's sleep?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, "WWJD" bracelets and "CTR" rings work best. Who knew?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've always wondered, which do you find most repellant: a cross or a crucifix?
That depends. Is it facing forwards or backwards?
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and what's the story on that Star of David that Dracula wears? Maybe you can give us the inside scoop on that one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

quote:
If you go on a trip, just how large a quantity of your native soil do you have to take with you in order to get a good day's sleep?

Bob,

I don't travel much, but I solve the soil problem by simply not changing my undies. Also, since Vlad the Impaler was believed to be a HUGE believer in melatonin therapy and an over-producer of melatonin, I just pop about 3MG and it is lights out.

quote:
what's the story on that Star of David that Dracula wears? Maybe you can give us the inside scoop on that one.
Noemon, that is a very difficult question to answer and depends on which version of Dracula you might be refering to. But in very GENERAL terms, some who study the arcane and the occult believe the 6-pointed star to be a means of issuing a curse, which would make sense.

Another take on the 6-pointed star is that the symbol has its heritage in the mystery schools of Egypt as well as a symbol of the Jewish faith. These mystery schools are the subject of many conspiracy theories that place their arcane knowledge as the fundamentals of medieval alchemy. Vlad the Impaler had great interest in alchemy and this might be a clever way for someone to link Vlad with the mystery schools of Egypt, not necessarily the Jewish faith.

Lastly, some may incorrectly make the assumption that since the Christian cross is the anti-symbol of Dracula that he might shield himself with the symbol of the Star of David. I believe this theory to be with no merit at all.

Then again, maybe he just likes triangles. Who knows.

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you feel about little statues of laughing Buddha? And if you can't stand garlic, what do you do when your virgin victims want to go out for Italian food?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since he is only half vampire, maybe he could just ask for half the garlic. Or else, maybe if the garlic is cooked, it is safe.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The six-pointed star (often referred to as a Star of David or magen david (David's Shield)) actually has NO real historical association with Judaism. Not unless "historical" means a couple hundred years or so.

Linkage

The irony of this symbol being universally associated with Judaism, rather than something with actual religious significance (such as a menorah) is not lost on those of us (who seem to be all too few -- searching just now, I saw plenty of sites claiming that the symbol actually dates back to Kind David's time [Roll Eyes] ) who know better.

Then again, I do have jewelry adorned with it, and do wear 'em. *shrug* They're pretty, regardless of the symbol's origins.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Actually, I think vampyrism is pretty gross, but the name stuck from my Starcraft days. My Halo avatar is Dominum, but that is another story.

Rivka, thank you for clearing up the symbolism. I was hoping you would notice this thread and chime in, and I knew you'd have more information to contribute than I would.

On a side note, I have seen that the pentagram is also of significance for many reasons, and many are misunderstood. But those of the mystery schools regarded it highly because of the golden rule or the mathematical relation of 3:2. Evidently, the intersections of lines made by a pentagram result in bisections of 3:2, which makes the star a perfect symmetrical symbol for those who follow the golden rule.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, in the Eqyptian mystical tradition there are documented references to life after death and a type of resurrection, perhaps one of the oldest stories of that type in history....

Osirus was killed by Set ( I think), but Isis recovered the peices he ahd been hacked into and resurrected him.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.