FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nurses: My Heroes

Author Topic: Nurses: My Heroes
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
After being in the hospital for two weeks and the rehab for one, I would like to just say how amazing I think nurses are.

The doctor who decided to put me on steroids saved my life. The nurses kept it going.

I was so amazed by all the nurses did, how they really cared about us, how they never ever stopped moving, how they were patient with the Archie Bunker look- and sound-alike who had fallen off the roof and kept yelling "Get me out of here NOW. Did you hear me? I said NOW!" when his pain medicine wore off, ow the sight and smell of poo did not faze them.

Thank you nurses everywhere.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I beT itS alL an acT jusT tO keeP patientS froM gettinG offendeD.......whaT doeS anyonE elsE thinK?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the nicest and most caring people I know are or are training to be, nurses [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you think that?(Steve R, not Teshi)

[ December 22, 2004, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
because all the nurses i know moan and sigh whenever the person they are taking care of needs something and scream at them.......maybe its just the Missouri nurses who are insane.......i don't know? like when i broke my leg the nurse came in sighed gave me the evil eye and roughly put on a cast......no smiles
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree, Elizabeth [Smile] (email me)
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree too. When my daughter was in Children's Hospital last year for 5 days, I gained a whole new appreciation for nurses, especially ones who work with kids. When all my little girl wanted was to be held in Mommy's arms, they figured out how to make it happen around the wires and tubes and the big cast. They were great about helping us get ready to take her home, what it would take to take care of her. And they were wonderful about how scared she got every time one of them came near. They'd talk to her soothingly.

The little girl in the bed across from us was in the hospital for about 3 weeks (ruptured appendix), and the nurses were amazing with her too...she was really hurting, but most of her pain was fear, so they helped her a lot with relaxation exercises.

I can never say enough for nurses, especially ones at Children's Hospital. They're just wonderful.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Nurses are wonderful, it's true. My older sister is an RN, but she works in a lab. Here's the reason why - after her first day of actual in-hospital training, she called me and said, "I don't think I can work in a hospital. I walked in and it smelled like someone had crapped on the floor, then threw up on it." Let's just say she's a hands-off nurse.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I also love nurses. I was in the hospital for 13 days when I was fifteen (car accident), and the docs were great, but the nurses got my lazy @$$ out of bed and walking around [Grumble] and kept me from atrophying. When I cried from loneliness, Nurse Daniel would discreetly come in and tickle my feet until I laughed (and then just as discreetly go away, so I didn't feel uncomfortable about crying). When I whined about back pain, Nurse Elsa (a teeeeeny little lady from the Phillipines) would rub my back.

Nurses are wooooonnnnnderful.

Oh, I forgot one other story: I delivered my son at ten o'clock at night (with help from, yes, nurses! [Smile] ) and afterwards I was *so* hungry. A nurse gave me her ham sandwich!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.