FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Gloom, doom and peril, or why I love Lemony Snicket

Author Topic: New column: Gloom, doom and peril, or why I love Lemony Snicket
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Gloom, doom and peril, or why I love Lemony Snicket

Ever since Lemony Snicket began to document the trials and tribulations of the unfortunate Baudelaire orphans in the first book "The Bad Beginning," concerned parents have worried that these morbidly depressing accounts might be upsetting to their own innocent children.

This popular book series -- now a box-office-smash movie -- is consistently gloomy and pessimistic, describing the world as a dangerous place filled with distracted adults who never listen to the anguished concerns of their mortally imperiled young.

Which is exactly why children love "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events." They know it's not a kid's movie. It's a documentary.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha! This is, as usual, awesome, Chris.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is exactly why children love "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events." They know it's not a kid's movie. It's a documentary.
[Big Grin]

Priceless.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to get the books for me ma for Christmas, but then I found out that Lemony Snicket is a very prodigious man and has written ELEVEN books. The sum total would've been close to a hundred and thirty bucks, which is in the jewlery range, and if I was going to spend jewlery money, I would've already bought her jewlery. So I got her the first three to see if she'll like them.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. If Count Olaf fought Jack, who'd win?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is the witch in "Hansel and Gretel" the bad guy, anyway? After all, the kids did break into her gingerbread house and in Florida she's allowed to use lethal force if they eat their way over the threshold. I just assumed she was on a really strict Atkins.
[ROFL]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful as always, Chris.

Be nice to every crawly thing, you might marry it. *snicker*

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, this is WONDERFUL. I approve completely.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally cool and true article.
Also, the old version of Little Red Riding hood is so much better.
And I like the Baba Yaga stories a lot too...

[ December 22, 2004, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Column extras: two examples I cut out, partly because I was out of room and partly because they weren't really instructive, just annoying to me.

First, it's not a fairy tale, but it's very disturbing: "Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie/ kissed the girls and made them cry/ when the boys came out to play/ Georgie Porgie ran away." This is a sex offender waiting to happen.

And the one that really gets me, "The Princess and the Pea." Bad enough that it reinforces unrealistic expectations, or that it implies that only inhumanly sensitive, high-born ladies are worthy to marry, but can you imagine sleeping with a woman who can feel a pea beneath forty mattresses? I’m guessing that crumbs in bed are not an option in this relationship. It would be like marrying one of those little inbred dogs that shakes and pees all the time.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Chris! My son quite likes those books.

Hey book, why not get her just the first few? Then for her birthday, the next three...that's what we do with series.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] That was great Chris! Totally true!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
This one should make your list of top columns! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Great column.

Again.

dkw and I have been perusing a collection of Hans Christian Andersen stories. They are really quite horrid from almost any perspective one would care to name. Poorly written. Narrative flow that doesn't. One dimensional characters.

But the worst part of all is that most of the "take home" lessons are just awful.

Things like: If your mother dies, it's your fault and if you don't behave properly to the mean people in your life, someone will have to chop off your feet, you selfish little brat.

Criminy!

I mean, really, this guy HATED children. He must have.

Another sample moral: Don't wish for anything other than what you have RIGHT NOW because if you do, it'll turn out badly and you'll end up in the attic drying out until someone finally throws you outside and uses you for target practice.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.

But I always thought the message of The Little Mermaid (not the Disney version, the orginal story) was: if you give up your home, essence, and family for a man, you will die.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good. I have to get those books.

With the unbound success of "Wicked" I think there is a good story out there about the South Beach diet obsessed elderly woman who turns her house of carbs into a house of high protien, only to be eaten herself by a gang of maurading abandoned children.

Mrs. M. What does Ariel do to attract her man? She spreads her legs for the first time, quite literally. I wrote a poem about a high school Ariel who returned to the sea forever after trying her new legs spread for the first time in a useless attempt to get her prince.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Best column yet and that's saying something!

I have always had some problems with the popular fairy tales for the reasons you mention.

Though, to be fair - Aladdin did discover (in the Disneyfied version anyway) that material things didn't make him happy.

One reason I loved Belle as a Disney heroine is she didn't sit back on her butt and wait for someone to rescue her - she gets herself out of a locked cellar and heads off the rescue the beast.

All in all though, this is definitely one of my favorites of your columns! Bravo.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.