FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Memories of Douglas Adams(Don't Panic)

Author Topic: Memories of Douglas Adams(Don't Panic)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is a place to discuss the antics of Arthur Dent, who I might add could never quite get the hang of Thursdays.

[ December 23, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I haven't read those books since high school.

Should I bother reading them again? Will I pick up more this time around, or are they pretty much surface/shallow (but enjoyable) books?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know, have you actually read all 5 books in the trilogy? If you haven't it might be worth it to pick them up again.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
DON'T PANIC!

I hope I never have to listen to a Vogon reading poetry. [Angst] [Angst]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ode to a small lump of green putty I found in my ear one midsummer morning"
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I read "The Salmon of Doubt" recently and was surprisingly surprised to find he was a devout atheist.

Don't know why. I mean, if you read his books, you could see it coming from a mile away.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Vogon poetry part made me laugh myself purple.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "Ihadn't thought of that," and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is whte and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that did not stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best selling book 'Well That About Wraps It Up For God'.

Yeah, this bit always tipped me off about Douglas Adams' religious ideas [Wink]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
read all 5 books in the trilogy?
5 Books in a Triogy? [Dont Know]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
A trilogy can have any number of volumes.

Pass me another Pan-Galactic Gargle-Blaster.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

doesn't tri=three?
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Tri not to think about it too much...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

[Wall Bash] Why do puns always pop up in the threads I read?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Because the threads you read are on Hatrack?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Point taken.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Only one definition for trilogy on Merriam-Webster:

quote:
Main Entry: tril·o·gy
Pronunciation: 'tri-l&-jE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -gies
Etymology: Greek trilogia, from tri- + -logia -logy
: a series of three dramas or literary works or sometimes three musical compositions that are closely related and develop a single theme

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet there are still 5 books in the Hitchiker's trilogy.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, hand me one a Gargle Blaster as well.

Why can't I just be an interesting shade of blue?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think that "Last Chance to See" was his best work. I was devastated the day D.N.A. died... the only time I've ever felt that way about someone I didn't know.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who don't get the "five books in a trilogy" joke need to leave this thread and not come back until you've read them.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
And for the second time in a month, I agree with Tom. And also a short quote, since I've posted the entire whale chapter on this site at least once...

quote:
I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make when they fly by.
Feyd Baron, DoC
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Though Mostly Harmless was quite missable, I thought.

My favorite was So Long and Thanks for all the Fish.

Check out his Dirk Gently books. They are even better, some of us think.

DNA is great! He's so very clever and funny. He's just brilliant!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

MH was DNA's way of saying, "There's no way you can make me write another one of these books."

I've read two Dirk Gentleys. Liked them both very much.

Dagonee

Teshi
Member # 5024

I wish my initials were DNA.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Improbability Drive... GO!

*jumps to the other side of the galaxy as hair turns into a tomato*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, but I gotta read his books again soon. These posts have me postively giggling! [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

I've got a book that contains all 5 books in the trilogy. I just started rereading it and can't put it down.

I wonder what it would be like to have a Babel fish in your ear?

Does anyone know where I can get an Infinite Improbability drive?

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Dirk Gently books? Plural?

I have Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. But now I need to get Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. At least I know what to ask for for Christmas.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, and the Salmon of Doubt was shaping up as the third Dirk Gently book, though I think it says in there someplace that DNA was considering a lot of the story elements for a sixth HHG book.

And I agree, Last Chance to See was fantastic.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Does anyone know where I can get an Infinite Improbability drive?"

Oddly, I can help you with this problem.

First, you must obtain an atomic vector plotter. Many of these are available on Vogon ships, although bypassing the security systems may first require you to subject yourself to poetry.

Secondly, you will require a source of finite improbability. A Finite Improbability Generator works well, although a six-sided die is fine in a pinch.

Thirdly, you must provide some Brownian motion, ideally in a convenient container. Any hot liquid will do, but tea is preferred for aesthetic reasons and inexplicably returns better (i.e. more infinitely improbable) results. Sadly, the dangly bit of the atomic vector plotter is not as mentally flexible as cybernetic doors, Marvin, and you, and will not accept a cup full of no tea.

[ December 21, 2004, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

EDIT: Okay, I'd have sworn TomDavidson didn't mention Tea.

[ December 21, 2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
5 Books in a Triogy?
That's how Douglas Adams's sense of humor works.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

The rest of it I can do, but I don't know about listening to Vogon poetry. The very idea fills me with dread. [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst]
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worse than that. Not only do you have to listen to Vogon poetry, but you have to *enjoy* it as well.

And the Hitchiker books are both as sillily superficial as you think and also much more complex. There's actually a lot going on there, although I got this new perspective after reading The Salmon of Doubt, which was really interesting and not at all what I was expecting.

[ December 21, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

well this turned out about ten times better than i had hoped........you know my favorite scene in the trilogy is in the first book......the whale and pot of petunias thing......and then in one of the sequels(i can't believe i cant remember which one) the petunias get revenge.......and then at the end of MH the petunias die again and end their life with "You!".......oh i absolutely love it......let me go pick it up again.........ooooh lets have a contest to see how many friends we have gotten to read the HHG books......i have about 13 under my belt thus far.....and almost another [Party] [The Wave] [Evil Laugh] [Hail] [Wall Bash]

i once heard some Vogon poetry.....awful stuff......they made me enjoy it and because of it i went into a coma for 2 wks.......my comatose dream was fun though

[ December 21, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person who got upset when I heard about DNA's death. Strange thing is that I really truly did have a towel with me that day (because at the time I was riding my bicycle between home and the train station and working up a decent sweat). Boss and coworkers just couldn't understand why I insisted on keeping my towel on my desk, and I gave up on trying to explain it after about 5 minutes. Sucks when you're the only person who likes sci-fi at work ... come to think of it, sucks when you're the only person in your circle with any particular interest.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

ya that made me really sad too.......i wore a towel as a turban on my head for week in mourining.......it was actually the official HHG towel i got off Ebay
Tatiana
Member # 6776

My circle now consists mostly of hatrackers, for that very reason!

I once wore my Gryffendor jersey (that Saudade and Andrei got me for my birthday) to work on casual Friday and not one soul there knew what it was. Is that sad?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sadly, the dangly bit of the atomic vector plotter is not as mentally flexible as cybernetic doors, Marvin, and you, and will not accept a cup full of no tea.
I think you can solve that problem, provided you are capable of holding tea and no tea simultaneously...
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hm. In my experience, even in situations in which I had both tea and no tea, the vector plotter showed a distinct preference for tea over no tea. [Smile]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

i never have any tea so i had to try coffee......my advice to you don't use coffee
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of my favorite jokes in the Dirk Gently book was the one about the bestselling author whose books everyone read, even though they were terrible, because he had the right type of name that looked good on a cover. It always made me think of Tom Clancy. [Big Grin]

I have a fond memory of Douglas Adams, when my husband and I were newly married, we spent a lot of time driving back and forth from our home to his parents' home to visit them. That tapered off after we had kids, but for a while we made a six hour drive every other month or so.

Our car stereo had no cassette deck (and this was before CD players were common in cars) and we had a stretch with no good radio at all. I started bringing Hitchiker books and read them aloud to Wes while he drove.

We both loved it, and I distinctly remember him almost having to pull over he was laughing so hard about the Improbability Drive when the monkeys wanted to show Arthur their copies of Hamlet. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I was sad the day I heard DNA's passing, I was pleased, in that the circumstances of his death were fitting.

He had a heart attack while excercising to improve his health.

That is such an Adamsian way to die.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
We should hold a seance. We can bring a typewriter along and have DNA dictate a new book.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

"Ford, there's an infinite number of monkeys outside the door who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."

(I'm amazed how much of this I know from memory!)

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
He did write the best Dr. Who episodes ever.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well.....its Thursday........and I want to be the first to say it........"Arthur Dent could never quite get the hang of Thursdays!"

Ok I'm done.......or am I? [Evil Laugh] [Angst] [Dont Know]

[ December 23, 2004, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

When does anyone think is a good age to expose someone to HHG?
Teshi
Member # 5024

I've been "exposed" since I was at the very least nine or ten and my sisters much younger. There's not anything "in" them. I'd think any age; if they get the jokes, they get the jokes.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yeah, which Dr. Who's were his? Definitely the ones where they are finding the six segments to the key to time, right? There's a bit where he asks the guard if he doesn't get tired of his job, all that shouting at people all day long and no intellectual stimulation, remember? That's straight out of the books (or, rather, he used it both places -- Dr. Who would have been first) in the one about Queen Xanxia and the time dams, in which the blustery badguy says "Moons of Madness!" They were eating planets, right? And using the energy to fuel the time dams? I loved how he cried when K-9 killed his robotic assassin bird.

The one about the scringestone was hilarious, with the Australian con man who was selling people planets, and setting up a scam to pretend the planet had this fabulously valuable mineral called jethric. That one surely must have been DNA. That was the first one with the first Romana, too. She rocked. I liked her best. "Well it's better than 51% at the second attempt."

Oh, and the one about the Jaggeroth was definitely DNA. All those names of obscure Italian composers. The bit about how he told Shakespeare it was a mixed metaphor. It was just too clever and witty to have been anyone else.

The great thing about the jokes on Dr. Who is they were really stealth jokes. You would catch many of them only after watching an episode several times. That just made them funnier.

I wonder how many of my favorite Dr. Whoisms were written by DNA? Probably most of them. He is definitely what made the show worth watching.

"The more sophistocated the technology, the more vulnerable it is to primative attack."

"When people see you mean them no harm, they will never harm you..... nine times out of ten."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.