FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rum balls.

Author Topic: Rum balls.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
How many rum balls do you have to eat to get a buzz? And should they smell like old guys on the bus?

*looks suspiciously at rum ball*

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do it! Rum balls are a gateway to fruitcake! [Angst]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Rum balls are the best dessert ever. NOW, I cna eat about a dozen before getting a small buzz.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandma gets buzzed on just 2 or 3 of my aunt's. But then, she's tiny, and my aunt's rum balls are so strong you can smell them halfway across the city.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much liquor I can hold. I don't drink, but I have in the past and I've never gotten a buzz. I weigh 120 and have red hair. How many can I eat? I had a bit of the batter and it was good, so I'd like to eat a couple, but, you know.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how strong they are.
Eat 2-3, see how you feel.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, I think the chick that made them accidently doubled the rum, but she put in more cocoa and amaretto to mask it. Maybe I'd better just have one. They smell purty potent.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm LDS and everyone I'm related to and otherwise hang out with IRL know it. And yet, despite that, I have one cousin who insisted on every year giving me rumballs.

The first year, I didn't know what they were, and the chocolate flavor was pretty strong, so I didn't know they contained alcohol. Until I bit into it. Never mind the part about me hating them - sorry, to those of you who like them, but I don't understand how - they were soaked, I think, in alcohol.

How can people be so dense? And no, I wasn't referring to me. [/derail]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, quidscribis. Since I turned 21, my whole family offers me wine with dinner (my husband, too, since we've been married), even though they know we don't drink. Then they get all self-conscious and make bad jokes.

(((hugs))) It's okay to be frustrated.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, then I found out she did it deliberately. Not to play a joke. But to be mean and snippy. She thought it would be funny to undermine my beliefs. *shrugs* Whatever.

Have I mentioned that I'm rather glad I'm in Sri Lanka and cannot possibly go back to Canada for Christmas? [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm, I know that feeling. My relationships with my father and mother are so much better since I'm 1500 miles away from them.

The baby doesn't hurt, either.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know, quidscribis. Since I turned 21, my whole family offers me wine with dinner (my husband, too, since we've been married), even though they know we don't drink. Then they get all self-conscious and make bad jokes.

I'm not even 21, and people keep on offering me alcohol, even though they know I don't drink. *shrug*
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
My only "usual" alcohol is a little champagne at the new year party. And I'm thinking about not accepting that one either. Thinking... still thinking... Yeah, it kinda doesn't make sense to accept it if I don't really enjoy it now, does it? As for rum balls, I'm not a big fan, but eating one isn't a problem...

Edit: ...for me. No disrespect meant for those who don't want to consume alcohol of any kind.

[ December 17, 2004, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
edited to add that what I originally wrote in this post was meant as a joke, but I can see that it is totally not funny in light of later posts. My apologies.

[ December 17, 2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm LDS and everyone I'm related to and otherwise hang out with IRL know it. And yet, despite that, I have one cousin who insisted on every year giving me rumballs.
Just a note that rum balls do not necessarily contain any alcohol. They can (and often are) made with a rum flavored extract.

-me

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for red-heads the limit goes way up...

[Wink]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I had heard that was true. I also have alcoholic parents and suspect that I am one myself, which is why I don't generally like to consume any alcohol of any kind.

It's also why I ultimately opted to throw them away.

That, and the fact that my son asked me if he could eat another of those "bowling ball cookies". And one is missing.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's also why I ultimately opted to throw them away.
When I first read this, I thought you were referring to your parents.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I didn't? Oh, right, I didn't.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Just a note that rum balls do not necessarily contain any alcohol. They can (and often are) made with a rum flavored extract.

Yeah, and that was my first assumption, too. Which was why I initially just tasted it, hated it, and gave it to someone else who liked them much better than me. And then I was told later that no, they were made with the real thing. Oh, I think I found that out after the cousin I gave them to started getting a little tipsy. She loved 'em!

quote:
quote:It's also why I ultimately opted to throw them away.

When I first read this, I thought you were referring to your parents.

She wasn't? It sounds like a good idea to me. . . [ROFL]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
PSIT,
I don't think anyone is offended, it just "went there."
I must agree with the fruitcake post, though. Rumballs lead to fruitcake, and the next thing it might lead to is you sucking on that horrific ribbon candy. Egads! Put down the ball!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I think many people have an unbreakable rule to always offer others some of what they're having whenever they eat or drink in company. To not do so perhaps would violate something ingrained much more deeply then their knowledge that you don't partake.

In any case, it makes a charming little exchange. "Would you care to join us in an upside down marguarita?" "Why thank you kindly, sir, but I believe I'll have to forego that pleasure."

Around here iced tea is the most ubiquitous thing. Often the question of what you will drink is simply asked, "sweet or unsweet?".

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

-me

mmmm...beverly puts Rum extract into Pina Colada mix... [Big Grin]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.