FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cinéma... Cinéma... Cinéma...

Author Topic: Cinéma... Cinéma... Cinéma...
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I open a new topic to write about movies.
Last evening, I am going to watch Ocean's twelve. It was the first day in France and, of course, it was in original version (always better).
I am very pleased to watch such a good and laughly movies ! Beautiful hat trick, je vous salue bien bas, Messieurs les acteurs ! [Hat]
Wonderful dialogues who "bull's eyes" each time.
Better than the first.

Another good point : the music is terrible ! I wonder if i'll go buying the CD...

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Choobak, I've seen it too two days ago, and I also liked it. I'm actually glad I understood the story, with all its turns! [Big Grin] By the way, saying that the music was "terrible" isn't really a "good point"! "Terrible" in English doesn't have the same meaning as in French, so you might want to change that.

About the movie: who was your favorite character? Don't tell me the French guy! [Wink] I liked Brad Pitt and George Clooney's calm and/or amused appearances even when things were going bad. Also, Matt Damon played the perfect "rookie thief" part! I was constantly wondering if Pitt would ever have enough of Damon's "rookieness" and just start shouting at him! The time when they go to see the fat guy for the job and Damon doesn't understand a thing they're saying is just priceless! [ROFL]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah I was rolling with laughter during the "negotiating" scene with Damon, Pitt, and Clooney. Heeeheee.

I thought the music from Ocean's Eleven was much better than in Twelve. It seemed that Twelve was, in general, a much sillier and funnier movie. Eleven was a little more about "cool" in my opinion. Both are a great deal of fun.

I definitely want to see Twelve a couple more times and figure out all the nuances. I spent several minutes after the film explaining bits to my friends who were stubbornly insisting that the film "make sense" after the first time around.

Though I do think it might have been better to end the film a few minutes earlier. I think the best time would be when She meets Him for the first time.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

quote:
By the way, saying that the music was "terrible" isn't really a "good point"! "Terrible" in English doesn't have the same meaning as in French, so you might want to change that.
Argghh !!! Sorry [Hail] I would write the music is... I search a word to explain the same thing that "terrible" in french... Giga extra ultra very... good. [Dont Know]

quote:
About the movie: who was your favorite character? Don't tell me the French guy!
My favorit character is Vincent Cas.. oups... [Big Grin]
No The three you write are my favorit. But Today, I like very much Matt Dammon. I am a Kevin Smith fan and his role in Jay and Silent Bob strike back are so funny... And Good Will Hunting, Mr Ripley, Dogma, and to finish the Bourne identity : he is an actor as i like them.

Nevertheless, I have special appreciation for Bruce Willis and Julia Roberts.

I like many scene, and That's right, the scene about The coded language is one of the funiest !

[ December 16, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

dabbler, I think you said it perfectly: Ocean's 11 was the "cool" movie with the occasional fun, and Ocean's 12 the "funny" one with the occasional coolness! [Big Grin] They're different, but in a way I'm glad they're like that. How many times the sequel seems just that: a continuation without anything new in it?!

quote:
insisting that the film "make sense
Hehe, I watched it with a German friend of mine and the poor guy was just plain lost in some of the parts! Maybe that'll drive him to watch it a second time with German subtitles or something... [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I thought the first one (okay, the remake) was better than this one. I felt that the producers were trying too hard with this one - trying too hard to keep the "right" people in focus, trying too hard to have the atmosphere of this movie be as light and funny as the last one, trying too hard to be the same. It was fun and funny, sure... but not, I believe, as good as the first.

And since I'm not French, I'll say it: My favourite character was Vincent Cassel. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I was very dissapointed in Ocean's 11, I doubt I'll see this one.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Carrie, I spend you my most beautiful smile [Big Grin]
(Good Choice... like Monica Bellucci)

dabbler
Member # 6443

mph, do you like heist movies in general? I'm a big fan of the over-the-top heist style.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Ocean's 12 will recieve no high recommendations from me, mainly because it is hugely elaborate for no good reason (as the ending reveals.)

I did appreciate the irony they used though, particularly with Julia Roberts. It was hilarious. And there was some great dialogue too.

[ December 16, 2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

dabbler, I don't know about him, but me, I do like them! Thomas Crown Affair is one of my favorites! And also liked Entrapement, Bandits and Snatch. What other heist movies do you recommend? New or old, doesn't really matter... I know there's After the Sunset running right now, I might go to see it soon.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I am.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
The movie it seems to me took too long to explain itself, I never did get the sense of whether the whole thing was so that Brad Pitt could get his Tess or if the initial incident with the insurance guy was a real accident.

The thing with Julia Roberts broke my suspension of disbelief and jarred me out of the movie. Made it campy rather then cool.

The Lost in translation bit was funny but obviously deliberate. The best part of the movie was meeting Matt Damon's characters mother and that interaction. It was wonderfully done!

The final scene summed up the purpose of the movie, it was a chance for a group of people who obviously love each other to work together, that is what makes the movie forgivable.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

The other heist movie I can think of offhand is the First Great Train Robbery (the one with Sean Connery, 1979). The book by Crichton is incredible fun.
dabbler
Member # 6443

aha. Italian Job and Usual Suspects....

Friend of mine found a list online here at Amazon.

Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we've got a wonderful new word here: "laughly". What a great word, seems like a combination of funny and lovely. Thank you, Choobak. Haven't seen the movie, but on that one word recommendation alone, I will. [Smile]
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think an equivalent word for "terrible" would be something like "awesome". It's used in the same context.

[Smile] I really like heist movies, and I loved Ocean's 11. But I'll hold off on seeing it, if the heist isn't the big part. One of my favorite movies is The Sting. MAN I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
A few random thoughts:
1. I haven't seen Ocean's Eleven or Twelve, though I'd like to see both as I am a fan of the cast and genre.
2. "Teriffic" is a good translation for the French "terrible;" but I would probably use either "incredible" or "fantastic" if I were translating.
3. Another great "heist movie" which isn't mentioned above is "Le Circle Rouge," which stars some of the biggest names in classic French cinema. The style of film-making is very, very French, so if you don't like excruciatingly long scenes with very little dialogue (but lots of character development,) then you probably won't like this movie.

[ December 16, 2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Brian J. Hill ]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I really liked the original Italian Job. The new one was -- OK.
Choobak
Member # 7083

Brian, you mean "Le cercle rouge" with Alain Delon and Bourvil, no ? I don't know this film, but I just saw very very good comments.

"Laughly" is a trying ta make a word without dictionary [Big Grin] and I'm happy you like it. Awesome is a good word, thank you everypeople who help me in my hard climbing to the English language mountain. [Wave]

I want to add a good movies to our basket : "Le samouraï" with Alain Delon. He report the lonely life of the assassin. Good and tragic.
three other french movies : "I comme Icare" with Yves Montant, "Le professionel" and "Peur sur la ville" with Jean-Paul Belmondo (My favorite "old" french actor).

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a crush in Alain Delon when I was little
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a crush on my English teacher when I was little. Look where I am now !
/random though
I LOVE "Peter's friends" and "In the bleak midwinter". Those may be my favourites movies (at last the ones I'm thinking about right now... I'va always been awfull to state who is my best friend, my favourite book or movie. )
There is "The Winter Guest", too. A very beautiful and contemplative movie.
In a very different style, there is "the Nighmare before Christmas". My husband offered me the DVD for my birthday, and since that day (about 3 weeks ago) I wake up nearly everyday with a song of this movie in my head.

[ December 17, 2004, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Sorry but explain the expression "to have a crush" for me, please. [Blushing]

I have a music in my head too... since i saw "Seven years in Tibet" with Brad Pitt. The "Clair de lune" of Debussy haunt me. I dream to offer such a musical box to my futur girl friend. A great gift, i think.

Anna
Member # 2582

C'est comme "avoir le béguin pour". Des sentiments du type amoureux mais en plus légers, et souvent avec une connotation peu sérieuse ou enfantine.
I love the music of "Willow", for myself. And "Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain", of course. It sticks in my head too sometimes.

[ December 17, 2004, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

*sings*
This is Halloween, this is Halloween...

Choobak
Member # 7083

merci [Wink]
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw A Very Long Engagement today, am happy to recommend it. (French movie by the guy who did Delicatessen and Amelie.) It's a WW I movie -- a soldier's lover tries to find out what happened to he and his fellow soldiers who went missing.

It's set during the war, so it's got bits of gore and human cruelty. But it's also got life-affirming bits in it, too, so muchly recommeneded.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.