FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LotR Movie question: What's this?

Author Topic: LotR Movie question: What's this?
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this image about a year ago when I was looking for some wallpapers. I really like it, but have no clue what it represents. It's obviously an elf warrior, but there is nothing in any of the movies that seems to correspond to it, that I know of anyway. It's from a Czech wallpaper website that I can't find again.
I'd love to know what part of the story it represents. Any ideas??

[img=http://img69.exs.cx/img69/9362/lonewarriorcopy2lx.th.jpg]

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it's one of those elephant riding dudes?
Or... those guards?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably have to guess that it's Gil-Galad. He was the king of the elves during the big battle with Sauron at the beginning of the first movie. Elrond was one of his...advisors...I suppose that's the best word (someone with more knowledge of the trilogy could help you with that).

[ December 12, 2004, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Epictetus ]

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I didn't know who Gil-Galad was, but it looks a lot like the flashback scene about the war over the ring from a long time ago.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

No, I don't think it can be Gil-galad, he's not wearing a helmet in the movie. And who is he standing over? He couldn't have killed him because he's got arrows in him, and this elf's carrying a sword. The only time in the movies we see elves in FULL (i.e. with helmets) armour is in the intro, but this scene isn't part of that. It's really frustrating me. Somebody's gotta know, or know how to find out??
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a picture of a High Elf.

It is not Gil-Galad though...
In the movie he wore a crown,
but no helmet. And that Elf
is holding a sword...Gil-Galad
has a spear. [Smile]

Long live the Noldor!

[edit- can you see the building in the background? [Wink] ]

[ December 12, 2004, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*from memory*

Gil-Gilad was an elven king,
Of him the harpers sadly sing,
the last whose realm was fair and free,
between the mountains and the sea.

His sword was long,
his lance was keen,
his shining helm afar was seen;
The countless stars of heaven's field,
Were mirrored in in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
And where he dwelleth, none can say,
For into darkness fell his star,
In Mordor, where the shadows are.

Notice - he wore a helm.

Perhaps that city in the distance is a modern-day Mordor.

He looks a little stunned in that picture, doesn't he?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

I'm trying to think what stage of the story this wpould represent. It was obviously filmed, but not used in the films. It's a very evocative image. If it was of an event from the Second Age, what could that be? It's almost like it's the discovery, by an elven warrior, of a body killed by archers. I can't think of any part of the story this matches with. It's very frustrating.
Telperion, I was counting on you ... [Smile]

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it was used for a FotR trailer somewhere. I don't prented to be an expert on the movies, but I think there were different trailers in different regions, so maybe this was from a Czech-local trailer.

I agree that it's definitely in the prelude scene. The guy on the ground looks like a Gondorian solider to me. Didn't they wear scale mail in the prelude sequence? I don't even remember.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys realize that Peter Jackson was in a scene in RotK? Last time I was watching it I just happened to catch this extra and I was like, "Hey, that could be Peter Jackson." I checked it out, and I was right. Just bouncing it off you guys to see if this was already common knowledge.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
He's in FotR, too. He's the guy with the carrot in Bree. I don't know if he's in Two Towers.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember something about him being in Two Towers. I forget though.

I think it's amusing that you people are analyzing this image like an archealogical find.
*glasses and beard, professor mode* "We can see from the curve of his helmet that he's an elf but because of this..."

Heh heh heh [Big Grin] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[edit- can you see the building in the background? [Wink] ]
Yeah -- it looks like a rambler style modern home. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

You think these analyses are in depth, you should see the ones on a LotR fan site I posted this picture on this morning. Those guys are going over it like forensic detectives. I just really like the image as an image and wondered where it came from. [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I could be from two places in the movie, as unused footage. Probably in the Scene in Mordor.

In the books Gil-Gilad had a helm, of course, but in the movies he didn't. The only places in the movies that elves were obviously in battle were in the prologue and at Hems Deep..oh yeah, and in Mordor again in ROTK.

However I believe that set of armor was only used in the prologue.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
the guy next to me says that its one of those guys from the first war. When Isildur took the ring.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm *guessing* that the dead body with the arrows is Isildur lying in state after they fished him out of the river. Though Isildur was shot in the back, while Boromir was shot in the front. Or maybe the body is an orc...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

I think it was Colonel Mustard in the Study with the nine iron.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
The body doesn't look particularly goblin or orcish. And, come to think of it, neither do the arrows. Friendly fire maybe? I'd have to watch the first battle scene again to verify that only the elves were using that type of fletching.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The fletchings are white and relatively clean - that makes it unlikely to be goblin or orc fire.

You might check out the host site Fantasy Planet and see if you can find someone to translate.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Can you think of another film with that kind of helmet?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Check out the Elven helmets behind Elrond.

-Trevor

Edit: And this - the Elven swords.

They have the same type of slight curve as seen in the picture at the start of this thread.

I think it's safe to say that LotR was at least the source of inspiration, if not the source of the mystery photo.

[ December 13, 2004, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

jehovoid
Member # 2014

Definitely the same sword and helmet...definitely. Definitely not from K-Mart.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
And notice (gasps in bemused wonderment) - almost all of 'em were wearing helmets . . . [Wink]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, it could be that someone ELSE on the set had a camera, happened to snap a really good one, and put it up to show somebody.

i think you're putting too much thought into it. It's a pretty picture. Deal.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(Peter Jackson is most definitely in the Two Towers. He's the crazy guy that throws the spear off the battlements at Helm's Deep....or one of the crazy guys. [Smile] I knew he was in RotK too, but it took me until about last month to figure out where he was.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost want to say it's from the Chronicles of Narnia footage that was just released, but then again, there weren't any bodies with arrows sticking out of them.

[ December 14, 2004, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: Heffaji ]

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.