FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fat or just Big?

Author Topic: Fat or just Big?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
How do I tell this guy that he is not fat? People always tell him that he is just big and thats the way it really is. You see, he is at least 6ft. and he's got a big body build but its not because he's fat. Isn't possible to know if someone is fat by their face? Isn't that the first thing that gets fat(among other stuff)? I hope I explained myself..
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
you must be talking to my middle son....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
No, really -- you may be fighting against YEARS of self-image he has of himself.

My son is 6'4" -- but he wasn't always. And back when he wasn't, although he was large for his age, he did have a lot of extra weight. And got called fat.

Now he has stretched up to his current height, and slimmed down a LOT but still thinks of himself as "fat" just because he is a large frame.

I haven't been able to convince him otherwise, either.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
same problem here...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
It is really hard to not think of yourself the way other people tell you to. When I was in grade school I was called fat all of the time. I wasn't fat. I was just tall for my age and had a big frame. At about 10 I actually got fat because I had a bad self image and ate to compensate. I am thinner now, but it is still hard not to think of myself as fat. Especially when I am around thin people with small frames. I just feel so big in comparison.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh - define "fat."

I am a big fellow and some of it is fat, but I also started weight-lifting in high school and I lost a neck somewhere along the way.

If you want a more analytical evaluation, you can have your body fat index measured which you then compare against the "standard" measurement for a person your age/gender.

That said, some people are legitimately big-boned and will never, ever be a slim, trim body. Short and stocky can actually be a genetic trait. [Big Grin]

As several people have noted, "fat" is a nasty and negative observation applied to a person by his or her social group and is ultimately a poor descriptor of anyone.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I do agree with that, a better word would be overweight...
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Allegra, OMG you are me. When I was in grade school, people called me fat and I did the same thing, basically. I realized this over the last year or so. I wasn't really overweight, just on the high side of average before people made fun of me. (sigh)

And to AofD in the original post, there really isn't anything you can do to MAKE this person change his self-image. (sigh) If there was, I'd have told my friends to do it already.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem isn't in thinking he's fat, but rather the attitude the idea results in. I'm a big guy (6'3", 270lbs), so I get to thinking I'm fat sometimes as well, but the real trick is to realize that it's not a bad thing. Now, if someone is morbidly obese it's a bad thing, sure. But being 40 pounds overweight (for a guy my height) isn't terrible, since a lot of it is muscle and oversized bones (Barrel-chested is a good description of me. I had my lung capacity tested once and it turns out my lungs are about 30% bigger than an average person my age and height).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a guy who's 6'6" and weighs in at 300 pounds, but I'd never describe him as fat, nor would anyone else (dare to). He's strong, he's muscled, he's. . . one tough guy without an ounce of fat on him. It's just the way he's built.

When I was younger, I thought I was fat, and my doctors told me I should lose weight just because I was over the average on those stupid weight charts. Thing is, I was strong. I mean really really strong. Could lift the front end of my car (where the engine was) off the ground. Granted, it was a 1980 Honda Civic, but still . . . I don't know many guys who could do that. When I moved, it was usually me and one other guy moving the heavy furniture. You know, couches, fridges, freezers, filing cabinets. And the other guys just stood and stared. Yep, I was strong.

In my family, we grow large muscles, and muslce is more dense than fat, so if I was that much more muscular than average, it would make sense that I weighed more than average. But those idiot weight charts don't take that into consideration. And back then, no one cared about BMI.

Now, and I really am overweight now, I can see how stupid I was then. Stupid self-image. All because of other stupid people telling me I was fat when I wasn't.

It takes a lot of time and serious effort to change programming like that.

[ December 04, 2004, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't possible to know if someone is fat by their face
Umm. I don't think so.

How can you measure girth from a face?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

This is one of the reasons why I always tell women not to step on a scale when they begin exercising.

People have been described as having a "fat face" - however, except in "morbidly obese" cases, it's not easy to guess at a person's overall weight by the shape of their face.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst is when you start thinking that maybe you're not that fat after all and then you try to wear your fancy black dress that is tight around the midsection and you realize that yes, yes you are.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the opposite problem. I grew up extremely skinny, and still think of myself as skinny (when I don't think about it, that is), even though I'm over 200 lb. now.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I am extremely skinny myself, (5'10 and 120ish) though that may change with the terrible hunger cravings I have been getting.

Who knows? Also who cares?

Well, I have no idea who knows, and I will probably figure out if anybody cares by counting the amount of responses that reference to this post. I suspect that this number will be 0, though it may be more simply because people will read this blurb/rant and then reply to humor me.

We shall see.

[ December 04, 2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The worst is when you start thinking that maybe you're not that fat after all and then you try to wear your fancy black dress that is tight around the midsection and you realize that yes, yes you are.
I know. I hate it when that happens... [Wink]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, but Annie is in fact, not fat, she's the defenition of beauty and is quite athletic (I know, I went hiking with her).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

And yet she calls herself fat.

Jokingly, I hope - otherwise I shall be forced to open a can of thwap on her.

-Trevor

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or when you start unpacking clothes that have been in storage and realise that while you may not be technically overweight my have you put on a lot of weight in the past two years. Like, a *lot*.

And they're such pretty clothes...

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.