FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wow, when in glass houses...

Author Topic: Wow, when in glass houses...
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Scroll to the last story on the page.

Ya know, I'm really torn on this story.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
What are you torn about, precisely?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

He was trying to do the right thing when dealing with his daughter - 16 and out drinking, coming home drunk, etc.

Bravo, points for being a concerned, caring father.

Having a massive and I do mean massive stash of drugs and guns in the house that your daughter knows about and you still call the police in order to discipline her. Whoops.

Points for being a Darwin Dumb@$$.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if I should find that as funny as I do
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmm. Way more darwin points than good father points in my opinion. And, while this may not have been a first occurance, I don't really think calling the police on your daughter when she comes home drinking at 16 is an effective form of discipline/good parenting. Yeah, if it was a continuous thing and he had tried everything else it may have been a valid tough-love solution. But considering the massive stash of drugs and guns, how likely do you think that is?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

(blacwolve... I think it's hilarious.)
TMedina
Member # 6649

Considering the stash, I'm amazed he wasn't more aggressive and brutal - unless he was just holding the cache for someone else.

Drug dealers are not known for their kind, gentle disposition.

-Trevor

Edit: Or that cared at all about his daughter's antics.

Post edited for structure.

Edit 2: And does anyone else want to make the obvious pun?

[ December 02, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, I'll totally agree that it's surprising he wasn't brutal and/or that he cared in the first place. But just 'cause he wasn't using worse parenting techinques doesn't mean I'm going to give him points for using ones that I don't think are particularly good.

Says the non-parent, with no legs to stand on.

TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* Granted, it wasn't the best possible course of action, but at least he cared enough to try something.

And I have to give him some points for that - a lot of people wouldn't notice, not care or simply wash their hands of the matter and claim it's a phase.

That he settled on this as a viable option...

-Trevor

kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
i side with blacwolf...
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
The girl was obviously doing this just for revenge. I think she's pretty despicable. If she were really worried about her sisters' safety, she could have turned him in a long time ago. What a stupid, immature little girl.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she was too scared to do it until she had the perfect chance. To call her immature and stupid for not turning in her father who has multiple guns is a little harsh, in my opinion.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but calling the police because your child was drinking?

Talk about shirking your parental duty. Frankly, I'm not surprised at the girls behavior.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so the father and daughter are BOTH wrong. Everybody happy now? [Razz] Or are we going to argue about which of the two is worse?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The father. He's supposed to be the adult.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The father.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
The father, and not only because he's supposed to be the adult.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
The daughter. If she can't hold her secrets while drunk, she shouldn't drink at all.

Just kidding. [Smile]

Anyway, I find all three of the stories on that page to be awesomely funny.

[ December 03, 2004, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] That is great. Sounds like the daughter takes after her father, if you ask me.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.