FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TV shows on Computer

Author Topic: TV shows on Computer
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that much about recording TV shows, but I have think I want to get into it a bit.

What type of software do I need to buy to do this?

I downloaded WinAmp and the XviD codex before this, does that mean I can use WinAmp to watch shows that were recorded in the XviD format?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Software came with my hdtv card. I use it to tune, and record.
If you have drivers for your card, you should be able to use Media Player Classic, just open Device, and record from that. I didn't have much luck with compressing on the fly with that though. Record a stream first, and then compress it later. I use Virtual Dub Mod to set up compression jobs.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody pirates. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea how yo udo it. I only know that I'm soooo thankful there are people like you who do. Cuz we download 'em here in outer darkness (aka Sri Lanka where there are only 2 1/2 channels in English).

[Kiss] Bloody pirates. [Kiss]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but this isn't Pirating.
This is in the Fair Use clause.
You remember all the stuff about how you are legally allowed to tape FM / AM radio? Same thing.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no, likely not.

Recording TV shows on your computer with some sort of TV in is probably covered, though there are some possible minor problems.

Downloading them likely isn't, and the problem isn't that you possess the copy, its that the copy wasn't recorded by you, but distributed to you (which makes it a different legal situation). Moreso, the person doing the distribution almost certainly has legal problems.

However, there has been no definitive ruling on this particular issue.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.