FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 80s Music

Author Topic: 80s Music
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I need some info on 80s music.
Especially dark songs obscure songs. It's for my story.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of info? What kind of story?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly dark gothic music like The Cure with better vocals or David Bowie.
Stuff like that. I need it for the soundtrack of the story because Isamu is going to be thinking about songs that remind him of other situations from his life.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Not obscure, but certainly dark, is The Wall.

The album came out in '79, but the movie came out in '82.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
"Charlotte Sometimes" by The Cure is dark and incredibly obscure. I always listened to it when I felt all angst-y.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Clan of Xymox for dark.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Shakespeare's Sister?

edit: is this the kind of info you want, or do you want us to actually send you music, or do you want links?

[ November 27, 2004, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Boon ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister used to listen to Souxie and the Banshees. That's all I know about 80's pop.

(I like some stuff from the 80's, but it's not dark, and it's not goth, and it's not what you're looking for.)

[ November 28, 2004, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Send me music, links, anything could help.

Isamu loves the wall and Souxie and the Banshees. He also is into Cocteau Twins, Dead can Dance and other stuff I like.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Can't help here. I always listened to the upbeat/annoying 80's music [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
The Smiths - Please please Please let me get what i want

The Church - most of their stuff is good

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine = an amazing record full of goodness (it's the only NIN album i can even stand and i can stand this one alot.)

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what you're looking for. I love the Smiths, but they're mostly sick pathetic funny dark. If you name a specific theme, I can name a more appropriate song by them. "Girlfriend in a coma." Or "Hairdresser on Fire". Or . . . Oh, there are just so many to choose from.

Hmm. Tones on Tail - really obscure. Dali's Car - even more obscure. Bauhaus - very very dark, as in Bela Lagosi's Dead. Japan. Oh, really, absolutely anything from the 80s that I listened to would do.

What about Depeche Mode's Blasphemous Rumours?

So. Tell us the theme and we can get even more specific. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My God, people! Someone asks for help identifying '80s Goth music and no one jumps all over this? Sheesh!

There were some really seminal gloomy '80s bands, and a number of them are quite mainstream. I'll list the more mainstream ones here.

Depeche Mode
The Smiths
Fields of the Nephilim
Dead Can Dance
Bauhaus
Ministry
The Cure
Christian Death
Joy Division
The Swans
Southern Death Cult
Gene Loves Jezebel
Theatre of Hate
Legendary Pink Dots
Cowboy Junkies
Sisters of Mercy
Concrete Blonde
Souxsie Sioux and the Banshees
Sex Gang Children
Cocteau Twins

[ November 28, 2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Ooo. Great. A lot of that is stuff I like...
I gave my character too many of my musical tastes.
He's a rather dark young man who when he was a teen spent a lot of time smoking and listening to music like this.

Got any unmainstream bands?

[ November 28, 2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Everybody Knows" by Leonard Cohen was pretty popular with the angsty crowd in the late 80s.

Some of the Hooters - Johhny B, the song about the graveyard at night - were pretty gloomy.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.