FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Disabled women wins latest round with government

Author Topic: Disabled women wins latest round with government
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

WebPosted Nov 26 2004 07:53 AM PST

VANCOUVER - A Vancouver woman with severe cerebral palsy who won a landmark human rights case this summer, has won another major battle – this time in court.

The B.C. Ministry of Health had refused to give Cheryl Hutchinson permission to hire her father as her caregiver, despite the fact that he has looked after her since she was 13.

Earlier this year, the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal ruled that refusal amounted to discrimination.

The ruling was the first of its kind in Canada. And other disabled British Columbians had hoped it would allow them to hire family members as caregivers.

However, the provincial government appealed, and also applied to withhold $118,000 in damages – pending the results of that appeal.

But a B.C. Supreme Court judge has ruled the Hutchinsons deserve the money now, even if they aren't able to pay it back if the province wins its appeal.

In his decision, Mr Justice Bryan Ralph notes Philip Hutchinson is 73 years old, and living on Old Age security and Canada Pension Plan benefits.

Ralph writes that he recognizes there is a reasonable chance Mr. Hutchinson won't be able to repay the award should the province win its appeal.

But he says the Hutchinsons will suffer the greater harm if they don't receive the money.

article

I'm impressed. I'm disappointed that the government is fighting this one so hard, but I'm nevertheless impressed.

I suppose if this ruling survives the appeal, a certain amount of abuse will arise. But I think the benefits will outweigh the abuse.

[ November 26, 2004, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.