FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yo, Maui!

Author Topic: Yo, Maui!
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you should be back home by now - how did you enjoy your Atlanta visit?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I got home late Saturday.

I meant to write while I was there, but was pretty busy most of the time. I have to say, I loved Atlanta.

The weather was beautiful (except for a couple of frigid mornings, which would have been fine if I'd had adequate clothing or a car). The people were so friendly - everywhere I went - taxi & bus drivers, restaurant & hotel workers, people in stores.

I was very brave and rode the MARTA to Lenox Square. I got a little turned around and ended up almost at the end of the east train line, but that just let me ride all the way into 5 points and then north - a bit of an adventure really. Lenox was amazing! The Macy's is as big as the mall here on Maui and the cosmetics section's as big as the Macy's here... I tried not to be too much of a bumpkin, but it was hard. I'd never seen a Crate and Barrel or a Pottery Barn before.

I loved walking around the Emory area and seeing all the lovely little brick and stone houses, and especially the leaves falling off of the trees. I haven't experience autumn in years.

But two weeks is a long time to be away and it's good to be home. I'm finally over the jet lag too. [Cool]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to see you. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Glad you enjoyed your stay - I think the weather stayed warm just for you, since we're expecting freezing this weekend. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

The nights and mornings were cold - although the ladies from Wisconsin that were at my training were in capri pants and sandals. Last week Monday it was 29 degrees while I was walking to my class. Brrrrr.

Professionally it was wonderful too. It was exciting to have the folks at CDC who are working on SARS, HIV, Influenza and Tuberculosis talk to us about their research.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

As the ladies from Wisconsin would point out, it's all relative. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

maui babe
Member # 1894

Yes, I know... I just like my frame of reference better.

Sorry I never met up with you. I'm just a little squeamish about meeting a strange man in a strange city.

But I'm working on it. In the past, I never would have braved the MARTA on my own.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Oh, all good - a friend had to do the math for me:

Lone woman + strange city + strange internet guy offering to play guide = RED FLAG.

Sorry if I made you feel nervous, but I'm still glad you had a good time.

Did you have a chance to try the "Krispy Kreme" donut shop down the street?

-Trevor

maui babe
Member # 1894

I love Krispy Kreme, but we have them here, and I don't remember seeing the one there. Where is it exactly?

I ate at some interesting places. There was an Indian Buffet near the Super Target on Druid Hills Road that was great. Then one night a few of us got lost looking for Buford Highway and ended up at a Malaysian place in Chamblee. I'd never had Malaysian food, but it was good.

I was somewhat limited since I didn't have a car of my own, and didn't want to be out walking a lot in the dark by myself. I had hot wings delivered one night, and had Everybody's pizza quite a lot. Their pizza was tons better than Dominoes and their delivery was faster too.

TMedina
Member # 6649

It's on North Ave - just south(ish) of where you said you were staying.

But it sounds like if you were eating Everybody's Pizza, you were staying in or near Emory Village.

A little after the fact, but Buford Highway is a little tricky to find, however if you go up North Highland, make a left on Clairmont, make a left at North Druid Hills and cross over I-85, Buford Highway is your next major intersection - make a right and you'll be headed north on Buford Highway.

There are some restaraunts on that end of Buford, but they tend to be fast food and cheap Mexican sorts of places - although there is a pretty good Chinese buffet on that side.

The high end of Buford Highway is Little Asia - all sorts of Asian markets and restaraunts.

-Trevor

Edit: And the Krispy Kreme on North Avenue is the first store in the KK chain. The donuts aren't inherently better, but it's an interesting bit of trivia.

[ November 24, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

maui babe
Member # 1894

I was at the University Inn, near the intersection of Decatur and Clifton. I got confused because I had originally made reservations at the Emory Inn, but changed them because my clerk told me my trip was over budget. It was bad. I even told the limo driver to take me to the Emory Inn. [Embarrassed]

I'm not sure still where North Ave is. I either hung around Emory Village, or went northish toward Target.

TMedina
Member # 6649

You didn't miss anything on North Avenue - it's a scary stretch of road. [Wink]

The Golden Buddha is on Clairmont, just a stone's throw from the Emory Inn - ya missed out on our version of "good Chinese food."

And they deliver. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
North Av has some bad spots, but it's not that bad--it's like the border between good and bad neighborhoods.

Trevor, have you ever eaten at Chico and Changs? Not sure if it's still there.
I used to get their Mongolian Beef Cheesteak Sub delivered all the time.
MMMMmmm Chi-Mex fusion. . .

Trevor, e-mail me and maybe we could get together sometime.
I live in Smyrna.
pel@myway.com

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I was warned that Ponce was the border between the safe part of town and the "other" side...
TMedina
Member # 6649

For a single woman, new to the city and walking by herself?

Granted, North Avenue isn't a warzone, but it's still not someplace I'd send the unsuspecting either. [Big Grin]

Chico and Chang's - the name is familiar, but I don't recall it.

As for the other, kewl - I'll fire off an email after the annual Turkey Slaughter. I've got a pizza and beer waiting for me tomorrow. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Morbo
Member # 5309

You could say that. Ponce is 2 blocks north of North Av., towards the good side of town. Is it just me or is the good side of a town usually on the north side?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh.

Um, yes and no.

From the Emory Inn, south of Ponce is Decatur Square, the Decatur Courthouse and lots of trendy little botiques and eateries.

Briarcliff, south of Ponce becomes Moreland and runs through Little 5 Points - nice enough area, certainly in recent years. More of a teen hangout and our answer to New York's Village. Further south and it does turn into low income, working neighborhoods and less scenic areas.

Moving along Ponce/North Avenue towards downtown is mostly safe, but it is markedly urban and can go from scenic to creepy by a block.

-Trevor

Morbo
Member # 5309

Ah, true, I forgot MB was on foot, not driving. Makes a big difference. C&C is on North Av, I think ( I always got delivery) near the Krogers.

Mauibabe, I hope you had a good time here.

TMedina
Member # 6649

In Atlanta, that's true - I couldn't tell you about other cities though.

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

I know the Kroger's on North Avenue/Ponce - just up the street from the former Sears building, now the APD HQ and the Home Depot/Borders complex.

I'll have to take a drive through there, but I know there used to be a Chin-Chin in the Kroger shopping complex (ghastly food). Chico's may have been a new addition since I used to live on Ponce.

-Trevor

Morbo
Member # 5309

That reminds me--mauibabe, didn't you have an internet stalker last year? Your husbands' ex? I thought you left the forum to get away from her after she stole your internet passwords or something. I hope that was resolved, it seemed like a real shame whan I read those threads. If you'd rather not talk about it I can sympathize.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Gotto go, happy thanksgiving!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.