FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For the science geeks

Author Topic: For the science geeks
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of writing a couple science tests. Rather than scan in images from the book (which would involve using the scanner downstairs, and be a big headache), I usually look for equivalent images online. So I was looking for stick-diagrams of molecules . . . and found this.

It's that CUTE? Very clever, too! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I might've paid more attention to science class if the molecules were shaped like coffee cups. [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!! I love it [Smile] A caffine molecule shaped like a coffee cup [Big Grin]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! They have a pentavalent carbon in there! Right smack in the middle of the picture. Nix the pi bond.

Something this clever deserves to actually be right.

Edit: brain fart.

[ November 23, 2004, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
The methyl group coming off the mug handle bothers me...my cup doesn't have a big jagged thing coming off it! But it IS cute...

PS The real formula and structure for caffeine, without the 5 bonded carbon thingy BTL complained about.

[ November 23, 2004, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Gah! They have a pentavalent carbon in there!
*disappointed* You're right, they DO.

quote:
Something this clever deserves to actually be right.

Yeah. *bummed*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
JonnyNSB!! Where have you been?? I've MISSED you!

[ November 23, 2004, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but the caffeine formula is represented as a planar molecule.
Anybody know what the 3dimensional molecule looks like?
Do the two CH3s actually bend toward each other as in the coffee cup drawing?

[ November 23, 2004, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It is close to planar. The coffee-cup pic clearly was bending the molecule. But pentavalent carbon is a whole different ball'a'wax.
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
but there's a faint line instead of a bond line where I think you think the 5-line carbon is...?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Talking about the double bond between N(itrogen) and CH3(methyl) from the bottom center to middle center of the cup potion of the mug.
The three H(ydrogen) bonds with the C(arbon) plus the C(arbon) double bond with N(itrogen) makes five bonds, ie pentavalent carbon.

So how come nobody is bothered by the (four bonds) tetravalent nitrogen?

[ November 23, 2004, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
*echos thread title*
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

A geek woulda mentioned a nitromethane kick for morning dragsters.
And then wondered why s/he was gettin' strange looks from those overhearing the comment.

[ November 23, 2004, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to grant them artistic licence as far as bending bonds and distorting bond lengths goes. Who really needs stearics anyway? But there's a line, and that line lies with pentavalent carbons!

Ammonia (NH3) <---> Ammonium (NH4)

The body takes ruthless advantage of the fact that nitrogen is pretty stable when it has to hold a positive charge. It's the electron sink of choice, baby!

I kinda gave you a weird look when you brought up nitromethane, but that's because I was thinking about toxicities. Which I guess means I'm too geeky for that joke. Ba BAM!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.