FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Dag (or anyone) need help finding out info on old legal case

Author Topic: Hey Dag (or anyone) need help finding out info on old legal case
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any way to find out the public details about a trial that is reported to have taken place in 1998? I know the names of the person presumably on trial and the name of the victim (murder trial) but nothing much beyond that.

I've searched the internet using those names and found nothing except references to it, and conflicting reports as to the outcome. It was in Mississippi, if that helps.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Send me the name of the defendant and as much other info as you can. I'll look it up on Lexis. Not all trials are reported there, but many are. If there was an appeal, it will be there as well.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I sent you an email, you wonderful person you.

[Kiss]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I checked Westlaw and Lexis - neither has a record under the name you sent. I checked both Alabama and Mississippi.

Neither has a free online way to search trial court dockets. Sorry.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you request documents from the courthouse in question? It's public information, right? Give the clerks a task to do! It'll take a few calls (I remember trying to land the documents as regards my mom's restraining order against husband #3) and it took some sluething, but I think anyhting over 4 years old is not easily found on internet search machines.

also, ask for a check from the local newspapers and radio stations.

Good luck!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately if it's not on Westlaw or Lexis it's probably not available online.

The only issue maybe if the accused was under 18 (then their real name wouldn't be published).

Email me if you want and I'll do a search as well (I'm at work and bored) but I probably won't be able to find anything if Dagonee has looked already.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks for the effort. As I explained in my email, I wasn't sure if the source of the info was accurate - which is why I wanted to verify it.

I am not sure exactly where he was tried - he is from Mississippi but that doesn't mean the trial was held there. I guess I could get my SIL who is in Jackson to check on things there.

It's not as if I'm hurting for material, I'll just leave the "alleged" criminal charges against this guy out of my article.

Again, thanks. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.