FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Job Search Ettiquette *extremely annoyed and getting desperate*

Author Topic: Job Search Ettiquette *extremely annoyed and getting desperate*
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I applied for a job at the local school board. I still haven't heard back from them, but at last check (a week ago) they were still considering applications.

Now, is it too much to ask that they take less than three months to get their butts moving on this? I applied in mid-August. (Before anyone says, "Why haven't you found a job elsewhere?" let me say that I wouldn't start the job until January, and I effectively shot myself in the foot by withdrawing from the co-op process this term.)

I applied in August, hoping to do an interview before I left for school. No dice. I went to school, and entered the interview process at school to look at other jobs (the only half-decent one turned me down, grrr). Still didn't hear anything. Called the board to say, um, well, should I still hope for you, or should I go elsewhere. "No, we haven't started going over applications yet." Okaaay. On the strength of my application and the conviction that this is the job of my dreams, I withdrew from the co-op interview process (one of the lovely hooks is that if any employer wants you, no matter how crummy the job, you have to take it, unless you withdraw entirely). It is now a month later. No word, except "We haven't, yet."

Maybe I made a bad move, but I'm really, really annoyed about this. What kind of hiring office keeps people "on hold," without a word, for months at a time? Especially when I know for a fact that they are as desperate for employees as I am for a job? They have a history of doing crap like this, ignoring applications until it suits them and then trying to get the person, who by then has given up hope and found alternate employment. If you advertise publicly for a position, wouldn't it make sense to do a quick screen of applications and get the ball rolling? What are they thinking? And what am I thinking for wanting to be their employee? (Money, that's what I'm thinking.)

Anyway, I called again today, but no one was there. I'm more than a little desperate, and quickly running out of options. This is, without a doubt, the single worst co-op hiring experience I have had. Even the interview that made me cry and the betrayal in terms of the actual job doesn't compare.

Please no one make fun of my predicament. It's my own fault for boxing myself in this way, but the hope of The. Perfect. Job. has kept me going so far. I just needed to rant it out, and now I'm going to go and feel depressed. [Frown] (Wow, this was barely coherent. I can't think right now, but if someone wants clarification, I'll try to.)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Ali))))
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
((EL))

Well, here where I work, it usually takes at least six weeks, depending on position. I mean, it took at least that long between when I applied here before I could actually be told I firmly had a job and could start work. But that is because I work in a high-security area of the bank, so the background check they do for people in this area is extensive.

Perhaps one of the delays is that school chooses to do more thorough checks before even deciding who qualifies for a preliminary interview....

But that does seem like a very long time to open up for apps. Apparently they aren't in any rush to fill the position...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What kind of hiring office keeps people "on hold," without a word, for months at a time? Especially when I know for a fact that they are as desperate for employees as I am for a job?
The European Union, for one.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, do I ever feel your pain. I've been on the hook for months now for a job, too--and we're living with no income in the meantime off the goodness of others.

I'm fairly sure I'll get this job. I've interviewed for it before (last year), they wanted to hire me, but I couldn't take it because of a conflict with my graduate assistantship. It became open several months ago, when they transfered the person who got that job to another job that I was interviewing for. So, they told me it was open again and to watch for the posting--and that was when I found out I had been the first choice for the job last year. But due to university regulations, they HAVE to interview 3 people for the job, and it took over a month PAST the availability date of the job for them to even post the opening. I'm waiting for an interview call now. *sigh*

And being around the holidays, I'm thinking my first month of work (if it's in December) will be fairly pathetic in terms of pay. Unless it's salary. Depends on how they rate me.

So... I feel your pain.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Having been through the co-op rigamarole at, I believe, the same university, I really feel your pain.

I actually think courtesy is sorely lacking in my industry in that regard, even now that I'm looking for a full-time job. I've applied for jobs and heard nothing for three months, then suddenly "are you free for an interview here in, say, three days?"

Some companies are really good -- "tell you what, why don't we fly you up, on us, for a face-to-face chat?" -- others, not so much.

(There's also the small matter of my secret desire to just take my ball and go to Australia.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Fargirl, one of the other things that ticks me off about it is that I have to find two references willing to write me a letter, four more whom they can call, and shell out for a police check and TB test - BEFORE they even interview you.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The county personnel board here locally was sued over their hiring practices - which meant all hiring had to be put on hold until it was straigtened out. It was three years before they hired any firefighters off the hiring list. Not surprisingly, a lot of them were no longer interested in the job. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
EL, the TB test is required in Alabama before you can be issued a teaching certificate too.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there, Equae.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I don't object to the TB test at all. I've done them before, and as much as I hate needles, I'll survive. It's just that it costs 15 bucks and you have to do it before they'll even consider your app. I'd be much less annoyed about it if they'd at least interview me before I had to pay for it.

Oh, and I realized I forgot to explain - I've applied for a supply educational assistant job. I only wish I were qualified enough to teach. Someday.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a place finally get around to making me an offer four months after I'd interviewed with them, and the offer they made me was about 7K/year less than they'd initially discussed. I was pretty happy to have already found a much better job, and decline their offer.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Equae - I'm in a position I never thought I'd be in, provided the other job offer manifests.

But generally speaking yes - the public sector is bad about their general turn-around on jobs and call-backs since they don't have the burning motivation to fill the spot and get a move on.

For that matter, I got a call two weeks ago from a temp agency who downloaded my resume from Monster.com a fragging year ago. Grrrr.

Anyway, good luck.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.